Alcoholics Anonymous by Alcoholics Anonymous…

Alcoholics Anonymous (1939)

by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services

This is the "Big Book" of Alcoholics Anonymous--its basic text. At the core are the "12 Steps" and "Twelve Step" programs are legion--including Overeaters Anonymous--which I was a part of for a time. I'm not saying there isn't wisdom in the twelve-steps. But it's very much God-based. Even though I found a Atheist Group in my area, that aspect of the program was very hard for me to translate into secular terms. Making an inventory of your faults, making amends, promptly admitting when you're wrong--these are all good, healthy and healing things--for yourselves and others. But half the steps cite God--and too often the program as I experienced it had uncomfortably cult-like aspects and I drifted away from it. And goodness knows, the whole concept of "addiction" and "abstinence" are hard to translate when you're dealing with a substance--food--you can't really make a clean break from. And I think making food the enemy--as an addiction model does--is not in the end the way to go about gaining a healthy relationship with it--at least not for me long-term.

So my relatively low rating reflects my personal reaction and experience with a Twelve Step Program--even though I know millions have claimed this book and its principles saved their lives. And so pervasive are Twelve-Step groups, I'd argue that cultural literacy alone means you should be familiar with this book. And certainly many of the personal stories in this book are harrowing and riveting--and inspiring. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 14, 2013 |
Cover selected is "like" the cover I have. However, mine is an original edition without the "reproduction" line.
  ColleenGiles | Jan 2, 2013 |
If you never quite knew what the bottom of the barrel looked like, this book will take you to hell and back. Thank God for that. ( )
  johnkuypers | Jul 3, 2012 |
Hard to call this book 'good,' but it's certainly functional. ( )
  jlawshe | Dec 27, 2011 |
The basic text for alcoholics who are using A.A. as the basis of their recovery. It was written in simple prose (for the time; now some of the grammar and concepts are dated and need to be explained to younger members). It explains the disease concept of alcoholism, and outlines a basic spiritual program that enables alcoholics to keep their disease in remission with the use of a spiritual program. ( )
  ceilmary | Jan 7, 2011 |
War fever ran high in the New England town to which we new, young officers from Plattsburg were assigned, and we were flattered when the first citizens took us to their homes, making us feel more heroic.
But there is One who has all power--that One is God. May you find Him now. p. 59
My friend suggested what then seemed a novel idea. He said, 'Why don't you choose your own conception of God?' That statement hit me hard. It melted the icy intellectual mountain in whose shadow I had lived and shivered many years. I stood in the sunlight at last. p. 12
...they cannot start drinking without developing the phenomenon of craving. This phenomenon, as we have suggested, may be the manifestation of an allergy which differentiates these people, and sets them apart as a distinct entity. p.xviii
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-- that principle is contempt prior to investigation. Herbert Spencer p. 570
They are restless irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks--drinks which they see others taking with impunity

Alcoholics Anonymous, 1976 3rd Edition (19th printing), edited & published by AA World Services, Inc. 375 pages.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:55 -0400)

Reading of the basic text of the Alcoholics Anonymous program.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,367,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible