V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

V for Vendetta (original 1988; edition 1995)

by Alan Moore

Member:syrin
Title:V for Vendetta
Authors:Alan Moore
Info:Vertigo (1995), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Anarchism, Comics, Dystopia, Fascism, Graphic Novels, Loaned, Private Collection, Vertigo, Loaned (idaft)

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (Writer) (1988)

1984 by George Orwell (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (FFortuna, monktv)
    monktv: These books have the epic storytelling and interesting meaning in common.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (readerbabe1984)
    The Invisibles: Say You Want a Revolution by Grant Morrison (mike_frank)
    Les mythes de Cthulhu by Alberto Breccia (iijjaallkkaa)
    Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan (grizzly.anderson)

English (134)  Danish (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Indonesian (1)  All (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (145)
I really don't know what the author means to convey from this graphic novel. I haven't watched the film or researched the meaning of the book. But holy hell, it kicked my arse. I thought it was pretty damn scary, the two extremes. Corrupt government in charge with every aspect of life heavily controlled or complete chaos with everyone going mad. This is definitely a thinker book. I don't imagine I'm even smart enough to grasp it all. I did notice a lot of Letter V / Number 5 / Anarchy bits, but I know I missed so much because mostly my mind was in a state of thank god this isn't real. I'll leave the true reviewing to those who are more intelligent than I am. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I loved this graphic novel and am ashamed it took me so long to get to. It was truly a groundbreaking work of art. I recall seeing the movie back in high school but I didn't really remember it so reading this book was like seeing the movie for the first time, all fresh. In a dystopian society where half the world has been bombed into oblivion, England has been holding on, but at what cost. Run now by a correct "big brother-esque" government, no one is safe. Everyone is spied on and all minorities are disposed of. Sick of how corrupt and evil life has become, a man in a mask decides to set things straight and take on the government. A truly fantastic graphic novel, and a must read! ( )
  ecataldi | Dec 31, 2016 |
A reread, although I’d forgotten most of it. This book always leaves me disturbed and sad and angry. Lots of shades of grey – the fascist government is evil, but it did restore order from chaos. V is fighting evil people who kill and torture, but he does it by blowing things up and torturing people himself. His treatment of Evey – capturing her, but persuading her he is the government, and keeping her in isolation, shaving her head and violating her, so that she can learn the message that she is free of them, whatever they do to her, even if they kill her, they can’t break her – is too horrific to even get a handle on whether it was good or bad. Also, there’s a lot of the sort of genius you can only have in fiction – V’s perfect timing and ability to manipulate people, Finch’s stoned guess on LSD of _exactly_ where V’s lair is – which feels a bit overdone in places. I’m not an anarchist, and this alluring novel of anarchy as a solution leaves me deeply uncomfortable. But it is alluring – clever, complex, deep, intriguing, it makes me cry in places, and strikes a blow against evil. ( )
1 vote atreic | Aug 5, 2016 |
Karaktären V är superb. Storyn är mäkta intressant. Evey är verkets enda svaghet. ( )
  BellaStormborn | Aug 1, 2016 |

Craddock, SteveLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crain, DaleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dobbs, SiobhanColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitaker, SteveColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Good evening, London. It's nine o' clock and this is the Voice of Fate broadcasting on 275 and 285 in the medium wave... It is the Fifth of the Eleventh, Nineteen-Ninety-Seven...
Good night England. Goodnight Home Service and V for Victory. Hello the Voice of Fate and V FOR VENDETTA. --introduction
And it's no good blaming the drop in work standards upon bad management, either...though, to be sure, the management is very bad. We've had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars and lunatics making a string of catastrophic decisions. This is plain fact. But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these people! You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you! While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short of deliberate. You have encouraged these malicious incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous and unproven machines. You could have stopped them. All you had to say was 'no.' You have no spine. You have no pride. You are no longer an asset to the company
It does not do to rely too much on silent majorities, Evey, for silence is a fragile thing... One loud noise, and it's gone.
Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.
Please do NOT combine the novelization of the movie V for Vendetta with the graphic novel V for Vendetta, written by Alan Moore, illustrated by David Lloyd.
Uma poderosa e aterradora história sobre a perda da liberdade e cidadania em um mundo totalitário bem possível, V de Vingança permanece como uma das maiores obras dos quadrinhos e o trabalho que revelou ao mundo seus criadores, Alan Moore e David Lloyd.

Encenada em uma Inglaterra de um futuro imaginário que se entregou ao fascismo, esta arrebatadora história captura a natureza sufocante da vida em um estado policial autoritário e a força redentora do espírito humano que se rebela contra esta situação. Obra de surpreendente clareza e inteligência, V de Vingança traz inigualável profundidade de caracterizações e verossimilhança, em um audacioso conto de opressão e resistência.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0930289528, Paperback)

V for Vendetta is, like its author's later Watchmen, a landmark in comic-book writing. Alan Moore has led the field in intelligent, politically astute (if slightly paranoid), complex adult comic-book writing since the early 1980s. He began V back in 1981 and it constituted one of his first attempts (along with the criminally neglected but equally superb Miracleman) at writing an ongoing series. It is 1998 (which was the future back then!) and a Fascist government has taken over the U.K. The only blot on its particular landscape is a lone terrorist who is systematically killing all the government personnel associated with a now destroyed secret concentration camp. Codename V is out for vengeance ... and an awful lot more. V feels slightly dated like all past premonitions do. The original series was black and white and that added to the grittiness of the feel while the coloring here in the graphic novel sometimes blurs David Lloyd's fine drawing. But these are small concerns. Skillfully plotted, V is an essential read for all those who love comics and the freedom, as a medium, they allow a writer as skilled as Moore. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

In a near-future Britain ruled by a totalitarian regime, Evey is rescued from certain death by a masked vigilante calling himself "V," a beguiling and charismatic figure who launches a one-man crusade against government tyranny and oppression.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,771,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible