dismiss

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

V for Vendetta (original 1982; edition 1995)

by Alan Moore (Writer)

Series: V For Vendetta (1-10)

A new trade paperback edition of the graphic novel that inspired the hit movie!A powerful story about loss of freedom and individuality, V FOR VENDETTA takes place in a totalitarian England following a devastating war that changed the face of the planet.In a world without political freedom, personal freedom and precious little faith in anything comes a mysterious man in a white porcelain mask who fights political oppressors through terrorism and seemingly absurd acts. It's a gripping tale of the blurred lines between ideological good and evil.This new trade paperbackedition features the improved production values and coloring from the 2005 hardcover.… (more)
Member:othersam
Title:V for Vendetta
Authors:Alan Moore
Info:Vertigo (1995), Edition: Reissue, Paperback

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (Writer) (1982)

1984 by George Orwell (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (FFortuna, monktv)
    monktv: These books have the epic storytelling and interesting meaning in common.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (readerbabe1984)
    The Invisibles, Vol. 1: Say You Want a Revolution by Grant Morrison (mike_frank)
    Remember, Remember the Fifth of November by James Sharpe (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: A better overview of the plot and why Guy Fawkes is still remembered over 400 years later.
    The Art of Invisibility: The World's Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data by Kevin Mitnick (neverstopreading)
    neverstopreading: Intersection between fiction and reality.
    Les mythes de Cthulhu by Alberto Breccia (iijjaallkkaa)
    Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan (grizzly.anderson)

English (159)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Indonesian (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (171)
Good things about V for Vendetta:
-Much more overtly political than the movie
-Established (or further proved) that graphic novels can be well adapted to film
-Some interesting storytelling decisions

Things I didn't like:
-Alan Moore, for all he's done for this genre, just doesn't do it for me these days. Since realizing I grew out of Watchmen and no longer connect with it the way I used to, I just can't get into Moore
-The messaging didn't feel very clever or organic, it was a bit on the nose
-Visually it ranges from impressive to unimportant, but the art never quite compliments the narrative as well as it did in Watchmen
-Parts were a little creepy in my opinion
-Sometimes it was uh, kind of elitist.

Like a 3/10, tbh ( )
  MaxAndBradley | May 27, 2020 |

थोड़ी सी अराजकता लाइए।
पूर्व स्थापित प्रणाली को नष्ट कर दीजिये, जल्द ही सब अस्त व्यस्त हो जाता है;
और आपको अस्तव्यस्तता की विशेषता पता है?

वह निष्पक्ष है! ( )
  iSatyajeet | Mar 29, 2020 |
I picked up a copy of Alan Moore's collected V for Vendetta when I was looking for something new to read; Moore's comics work is widely regarded as some of the best in comics. No argument from me. The writing is well plotted and the story is entertaining. The art is realistic and portrays the scenes. This book is throughly British. It had me checking details and puzzling out local accents, which take away some from the intentions of the author. A bit of "lost in translation", but not enough to detract from the story. Moore calls out racism and heterosexism quickly, bluntly, and uncommonly.

V for Vendetta is a book that challenges fascism and strong arm centralized government. It does this through the actions of one person, a victim of that governnment. There are a few holes in the story, such as how V appears when he does. Despite the holes, this book holds up well in the modern era of 2020.

I enjoyed this book. ( )
  RmCox38111 | Jan 8, 2020 |
This was an amazing comic by Alan Moore. The plot was loose at the beginning, but became more and more foundational and expressive as the story wove itself forward until it abounded into a mesmerizing climax that spoke to the testament of the integrity of the story and everything that it was meant to represent. I was truly wowed by this one and I think that this, for anyone liking comics or graphic novels, should be on there "to read" list.

4.75 stars! ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 26, 2019 |
This has been in my "currently reading" list for years because I was really hoping to continue it. Enough time has passed that I have completely forgotten what I had previously read, though. Seeing it in my front page each time I log in is only giving me a headache, so I'll put it to rest and consider taking again from the beginning in the future.
  hinfatuation | Dec 4, 2019 |

Craddock, SteveLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crain, DaleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dobbs, SiobhanColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitaker, SteveColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A few nights ago, I walked into a pub on my way home and ordered a Guinness.

Foreword.
Good evening, London. It's nine o' clock and this is the Voice of Fate broadcasting on 275 and 285 in the medium wave... It is the Fifth of the Eleventh, Nineteen-Ninety-Seven...
Good night England. Goodnight Home Service and V for Victory. Hello the Voice of Fate and V FOR VENDETTA. --introduction
And it's no good blaming the drop in work standards upon bad management, either...though, to be sure, the management is very bad. We've had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars and lunatics making a string of catastrophic decisions. This is plain fact. But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these people! You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you! While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short of deliberate. You have encouraged these malicious incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous and unproven machines. You could have stopped them. All you had to say was 'no.' You have no spine. You have no pride. You are no longer an asset to the company
It does not do to rely too much on silent majorities, Evey, for silence is a fragile thing... One loud noise, and it's gone.
Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.
Please do NOT combine the novelization of the movie V for Vendetta with this, the graphic novel V for Vendetta, written by Alan Moore, illustrated by David Lloyd.

Uma poderosa e aterradora história sobre a perda da liberdade e cidadania em um mundo totalitário bem possível, V de Vingança permanece como uma das maiores obras dos quadrinhos e o trabalho que revelou ao mundo seus criadores, Alan Moore e David Lloyd.

Encenada em uma Inglaterra de um futuro imaginário que se entregou ao fascismo, esta arrebatadora história captura a natureza sufocante da vida em um estado policial autoritário e a força redentora do espírito humano que se rebela contra esta situação. Obra de surpreendente clareza e inteligência, V de Vingança traz inigualável profundidade de caracterizações e verossimilhança, em um audacioso conto de opressão e resistência.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,851,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible