V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

V for Vendetta (original 1982; edition 2008)

by Alan Moore, David Lloyd (Illustrator)

Member:sisterdew
Title:V for Vendetta
Authors:Alan Moore
Other authors:David Lloyd (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2008), Paperback, 296 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:graphic novel

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (Writer) (1982)

1984 by George Orwell (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (FFortuna, monktv)
    monktv: These books have the epic storytelling and interesting meaning in common.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (readerbabe1984)
    The Invisibles: Say You Want a Revolution by Grant Morrison (mike_frank)
    Les mythes de Cthulhu by Alberto Breccia (iijjaallkkaa)
    Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan (grizzly.anderson)

English (136)  Danish (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Indonesian (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (146)
So, I've been meaning to read this for about a decade now, ever since I first saw (and enjoyed) the film. Recent events have, understandably, nudged me into dystopian fiction (and non-fiction about Nazi Germany, go figure), and I figured that now was the time to read this book, finally.

After a devastating nuclear war, a far-right fascist group (united with corporations) took power in England, in the name of religion, to "make Britain great again." (No, seriously, that is a direct quote.) So, yeah, except for the nuclear war part (which, I mean, honestly, given enough time...), this seems just a LITTLE familiar. It's amazing how contemporary this work feels (not just because of recent events), even though Moore started this back in the early 1980s. The technology is a little dated in the comics, to be expected, but otherwise, this story stands up very well to the test of time.

Anyway, this neo-fascist government is rounding up the gays (big surprise), the brown people (including, I am sure, the Jews), the liberals, the non-religious, the educated, the pacifists, and anyone who is viewed as an enemy of the State. Basically, if I existed in this world, I would be so fucked on so many levels (shoutout to the other non-religious, liberal, educated, pacifist, ethnically-Jewish queers out there, woo!).

I won't go too much into the plot, because the movie does follow the comics fairly well. There are some differences - I felt like there was a little more of a romantic tug between Evey and V in the movie, for example, while V is much more in father-figure and mentor territory in the comics, which I like better, to be honest. In the comics, I wonder if V isn't gay - it would make a lot of sense to me, especially since he was one of the first ones rounded up and he was surrounded by fellow political prisoners who were often there because of their sexual orientation.

But it doesn't really matter; V isn't necessarily a character - he's more than that. He's an ideal (in this case, anarchy) wrapped up in costume. We never see his face, even though Evey wrestles with wanting to see him once V is dead; she ultimately decides that by seeing his face, it would lessen his presence and words, by making him "just a man".

V, of course, isn't exactly sane; I don't think anyone would argue that he is. His actions, at times, don't seem to make sense - but, considering that he is "anarchy" personified, in a sense, I guess that is to be expected, as well. His kidnapping of Evey and torturing her, making her believe that her life is to be forfeit if she doesn't spill about everything she knows about V, is particularly troublesome. I can't imagine any SANE person wanting to do this. Evey, however, seems to eventually get over it, and even benefit from this experience.

Ultimately, I don't think anarchy is a solution like V does. People's base natures can be quite scary - look at all the anti-Semitism, racism, and just plain hate that the Drumpfster has stirred up with his rhetoric. People I used to think of as rational, friendly people morphed into people I didn't even know once Drumpf was elected - always assuring me, after their rants against gay people, Jews and non-white people, or liberals, that they didn't mean ME necessarily, even though I am all of those things. In an anarchist society, without the possibility of prison terms for killing people who aren't like them, I don't think that we, people who are "others," would be around very long. And so I don't think some anarchist utopia is an actual option - maybe V doesn't, either. He just wants to bring the current system down, into "rubble" as he calls it, and then allow people the choice of making something better, or falling back into the same patterns (as a pessimist, I know what I figure would happen in this case).

My only real problems with this collection is that the colours are rather muddled, so sometimes it is hard to tell who the characters are, because they look so similar to one another.

V for Vendetta is thought-provoking and memorable. There's a reason that it's so popular, over thirty years after it was first started as a serial. There is some seriously good stuff in this collection, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

Hopefully this all makes sense, because I am SUPER HIGH right now. LOL ( )
  schatzi | Feb 19, 2017 |

Gosh, the Eighties were different, weren't they? This is a classic graphic story of a man bringing down the autocratic society that Moore envisaged coming by 1998, after global war and Fascist takeover in Britain. I hadn't read it before, but I know Watchmen well (and am re-reading it this year with a group of friends on Facebook) and got through the first half of From Hell when it first came out, but haven't revisited it since. Also I got Jerusalem last year and will get to it sooner or later.

The fascist regime is very nostalgic in feel - the various officials seem to date from the Fifties or earlier, and V himself is very deliberately retro, with the Guy Fawkes mask subsequently adopted from the film version of the book by the protesters of the 21st century. Yet at the same time reading it in January 2016 seemed strangely appropriate, as we grapple with new authoritarianism and protest. The scenery may change but the stories remain similar.

Against the basic setting there are a couple of sub-plots; one is V's pursuit of those who tortured him back in the old days, thus presumably giving him the extra strength he needs to carry out his works of sabotage; the other is the emotionally implausible arc of his protegee Evey Hammond, who he rescues, subjects to serious emotional abuse for no apparent reason other than to brainwash her, and eventually appoints as his successor. Moore doesn't seem to see a problem with V's behaviour here, but I certainly do. I'm impressed by those like Phil Sandifer who found more to engage with - this part of the story repelled me.

That aside, it's a very well done piece of work, just a bit unquestioning of the central character's ideology and behaviour. It was good for the 1980s and it is still pretty good now. ( )
  nwhyte | Feb 4, 2017 |
I really don't know what the author means to convey from this graphic novel. I haven't watched the film or researched the meaning of the book. But holy hell, it kicked my arse. I thought it was pretty damn scary, the two extremes. Corrupt government in charge with every aspect of life heavily controlled or complete chaos with everyone going mad. This is definitely a thinker book. I don't imagine I'm even smart enough to grasp it all. I did notice a lot of Letter V / Number 5 / Anarchy bits, but I know I missed so much because mostly my mind was in a state of thank god this isn't real. I'll leave the true reviewing to those who are more intelligent than I am. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I loved this graphic novel and am ashamed it took me so long to get to. It was truly a groundbreaking work of art. I recall seeing the movie back in high school but I didn't really remember it so reading this book was like seeing the movie for the first time, all fresh. In a dystopian society where half the world has been bombed into oblivion, England has been holding on, but at what cost. Run now by a correct "big brother-esque" government, no one is safe. Everyone is spied on and all minorities are disposed of. Sick of how corrupt and evil life has become, a man in a mask decides to set things straight and take on the government. A truly fantastic graphic novel, and a must read! ( )
  ecataldi | Dec 31, 2016 |

Craddock, SteveLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crain, DaleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dobbs, SiobhanColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitaker, SteveColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Good evening, London. It's nine o' clock and this is the Voice of Fate broadcasting on 275 and 285 in the medium wave... It is the Fifth of the Eleventh, Nineteen-Ninety-Seven...
Good night England. Goodnight Home Service and V for Victory. Hello the Voice of Fate and V FOR VENDETTA. --introduction
And it's no good blaming the drop in work standards upon bad management, either...though, to be sure, the management is very bad. We've had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars and lunatics making a string of catastrophic decisions. This is plain fact. But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these people! You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you! While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short of deliberate. You have encouraged these malicious incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous and unproven machines. You could have stopped them. All you had to say was 'no.' You have no spine. You have no pride. You are no longer an asset to the company
It does not do to rely too much on silent majorities, Evey, for silence is a fragile thing... One loud noise, and it's gone.
Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.
Please do NOT combine the novelization of the movie V for Vendetta with the graphic novel V for Vendetta, written by Alan Moore, illustrated by David Lloyd.
Uma poderosa e aterradora história sobre a perda da liberdade e cidadania em um mundo totalitário bem possível, V de Vingança permanece como uma das maiores obras dos quadrinhos e o trabalho que revelou ao mundo seus criadores, Alan Moore e David Lloyd.

Encenada em uma Inglaterra de um futuro imaginário que se entregou ao fascismo, esta arrebatadora história captura a natureza sufocante da vida em um estado policial autoritário e a força redentora do espírito humano que se rebela contra esta situação. Obra de surpreendente clareza e inteligência, V de Vingança traz inigualável profundidade de caracterizações e verossimilhança, em um audacioso conto de opressão e resistência.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0930289528, Paperback)

V for Vendetta is, like its author's later Watchmen, a landmark in comic-book writing. Alan Moore has led the field in intelligent, politically astute (if slightly paranoid), complex adult comic-book writing since the early 1980s. He began V back in 1981 and it constituted one of his first attempts (along with the criminally neglected but equally superb Miracleman) at writing an ongoing series. It is 1998 (which was the future back then!) and a Fascist government has taken over the U.K. The only blot on its particular landscape is a lone terrorist who is systematically killing all the government personnel associated with a now destroyed secret concentration camp. Codename V is out for vengeance ... and an awful lot more. V feels slightly dated like all past premonitions do. The original series was black and white and that added to the grittiness of the feel while the coloring here in the graphic novel sometimes blurs David Lloyd's fine drawing. But these are small concerns. Skillfully plotted, V is an essential read for all those who love comics and the freedom, as a medium, they allow a writer as skilled as Moore. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

In a near-future Britain ruled by a totalitarian regime, Evey is rescued from certain death by a masked vigilante calling himself "V," a beguiling and charismatic figure who launches a one-man crusade against government tyranny and oppression.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,200,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible