V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

V for Vendetta (original 1988; edition 2008)

by Alan Moore, David Lloyd (Illustrator)

Title:V for Vendetta
Authors:Alan Moore
Other authors:David Lloyd (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2008), Paperback, 296 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Tags:graphic novel

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (Writer) (1988)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (FFortuna, monktv)
    monktv: These books have the epic storytelling and interesting meaning in common.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (readerbabe1984)
    The Invisibles: Say You Want a Revolution by Grant Morrison (mike_frank)
    Les mythes de Cthulhu by Alberto Breccia (iijjaallkkaa)
    Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan (grizzly.anderson)

English (122)  Danish (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Indonesian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (133)
The movie was better. It was an intelligent book, well thought out, creative as hell. What I can't get over is the all-crooked cast. There was not a single likable character. The movie brings the frames to life and makes a few gray characters white. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
This story is a modern classic for a reason. It mixes dramatic action with big ideas. All the characters are complex and flawed and yet still larger than life. If I were the book-club type, I'd say this book would be GREAT for discussing.

My only quibble is that the art style makes some of the minor characters hard to tell apart.

ETA: I think it might fail the Bechdel test? Each of the women seems to be off in her own storyline, unconnected to anyone else. ( )
  lavaturtle | May 19, 2015 |
It gets better with every reading. ( )
  jtodd1973 | Apr 13, 2015 |
My first, and probably my last, comic. My main problem was the dialogue, if you can call it that. The film looked intriguing though so I'd probably just go with that. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
All I leave you with, is:

"Remember, Remember the fifth of November..." ( )
  DaffiMere | Mar 22, 2015 |

Craddock, SteveLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crain, DaleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dobbs, SiobhanColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitaker, SteveColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Good evening, London. It's nine o' clock and this is the Voice of Fate broadcasting on 275 and 285 in the medium wave... It is the Fifth of the Eleventh, Nineteen-Ninety-Seven...
Good night England. Goodnight Home Service and V for Victory. Hello the Voice of Fate and V FOR VENDETTA. --introduction
And it's no good blaming the drop in work standards upon bad management, either...though, to be sure, the management is very bad. We've had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars and lunatics making a string of catastrophic decisions. This is plain fact. But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these people! You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you! While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short of deliberate. You have encouraged these malicious incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous and unproven machines. You could have stopped them. All you had to say was 'no.' You have no spine. You have no pride. You are no longer an asset to the company
It does not do to rely too much on silent majorities, Evey, for silence is a fragile thing... One loud noise, and it's gone.
Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.
Please do NOT combine the novelization of the movie V for Vendetta with the graphic novel V for Vendetta, written by Alan Moore, illustrated by David Lloyd.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0930289528, Paperback)

V for Vendetta is, like its author's later Watchmen, a landmark in comic-book writing. Alan Moore has led the field in intelligent, politically astute (if slightly paranoid), complex adult comic-book writing since the early 1980s. He began V back in 1981 and it constituted one of his first attempts (along with the criminally neglected but equally superb Miracleman) at writing an ongoing series. It is 1998 (which was the future back then!) and a Fascist government has taken over the U.K. The only blot on its particular landscape is a lone terrorist who is systematically killing all the government personnel associated with a now destroyed secret concentration camp. Codename V is out for vengeance ... and an awful lot more. V feels slightly dated like all past premonitions do. The original series was black and white and that added to the grittiness of the feel while the coloring here in the graphic novel sometimes blurs David Lloyd's fine drawing. But these are small concerns. Skillfully plotted, V is an essential read for all those who love comics and the freedom, as a medium, they allow a writer as skilled as Moore. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

In a near-future Britain ruled by a totalitarian regime, Evey is rescued from certain death by a masked vigilante calling himself "V," a beguiling and charismatic figure who launches a one-man crusade against government tyranny and oppression.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,681,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible