V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

V for Vendetta (original 1988; edition 1989)

by Alan Moore, David Lloyd (Illustrator)

Member:hskey
Title:V for Vendetta
Authors:Alan Moore
Other authors:David Lloyd (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2008), Edition: New, Paperback, 296 pages
Rating:***1/2

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (Writer) (1988)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (FFortuna, monktv)
    monktv: These books have the epic storytelling and interesting meaning in common.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (readerbabe1984)
    The Invisibles: Say You Want a Revolution by Grant Morrison (mike_frank)
    Les mythes de Cthulhu by Alberto Breccia (iijjaallkkaa)
    Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan (grizzly.anderson)

English (112)  Danish (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Indonesian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (123)
This is supposedly a great political graphic novel with V a great revolutionary character. The only thing I can say is true is that it is a political graphic novel. Overall it sucked. V was more into personal vengeance than anything else, the graphics were pretty poor and not the easiest to follow and the writing just seemed clunky and more used to force somebody's ideas down your throat. ( )
  RawrPopTarts | Aug 11, 2014 |
A lot of the background to this novel doesn't really make any sense. How did V get enough money for all the supplies he needed? How did he get access to vital locations if everything is being watched? For that matter, how did he kill so many people without any one even thinking they had a serial killer on their hands? How did he plant explosives in all the major buildings, especially after Parliament went kablooie? How is there a computer that knows everything, given the collapse of the high-tech sector? How did V gain access to it years ago?
Magic, I suppose, like the hormone magic required for him to become the super hero that he is.

Politically, I suppose that chaos is better than fascism, and the feudalism you see beginning to crop up at the end is also better. But then, so what? What does this book have to say to us? The answer could be: question authority. Alright, but the novel asks its questions with explosions and murder. V tortures an innocent girl, and we are supposed to believe he is liberating her instead of causing PTSD. The brave new world of individuals thinking for themselves, to be ushered in at the end, doesn't offer much in the way of hope or reason.

The book is full of the easy part of anarchy: Smash! The hard part - building a society of equals, with no government, one that is prosperous and safe - this is no where in evidence in the book. At most, it can be found in the occasional aphorism or song lyric, or delivered sermon-like by V. (It almost reminds me of Ayn Rand, ha).

As for the art, at times it's really good. But as has been frequently noted, the background characters are usually rather difficult to tell apart, and it sometimes is really hard to tell what's actually happening, to whom. The fact that often I didn't care enough to really work it out speaks to how unimportant these background characters actually are. And the novel's treatment of women, well, I won't say it's misogynistic. Mostly because I'm tired. And the novel's treatment of sex, which is rather shabby, probably dovetails with the treatment of women. A lot could be written about this, but not here by me:)

So, why 3 stars? I did find it compelling. For all its flaws, there is some wonderful material here. The art did draw me in rather frequently, and I read it all in one sitting, taking my time over 4 hours to really soak it in. It far from sucks, that I can say. But it is also a world away from being great, and is only just barely on the side of good. It does its job of creating dialogue. And it's heavily iconic, my copy came with a Guy Fawkes mask. ( )
1 vote starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |
This is the best graphic novel I've ever read. ( )
  GraemeShimmin | Aug 7, 2014 |
My second foray into the strange new world of graphic novels was another rewarding experience. There were some things in the story I didn't find adequately explained and that nagged at me, but overall an exciting, terrifying story with compelling characters and interesting art to go along with it. ( )
  selfcallednowhere | Aug 6, 2014 |

Craddock, SteveLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crain, DaleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dobbs, SiobhanColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitaker, SteveColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Good evening, London. It's nine o' clock and this is the Voice of Fate broadcasting on 275 and 285 in the medium wave... It is the Fifth of the Eleventh, Nineteen-Ninety-Seven...
Good night England. Goodnight Home Service and V for Victory. Hello the Voice of Fate and V FOR VENDETTA. --introduction
And it's no good blaming the drop in work standards upon bad management, either...though, to be sure, the management is very bad. We've had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars and lunatics making a string of catastrophic decisions. This is plain fact. But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these people! You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you! While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short of deliberate. You have encouraged these malicious incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous and unproven machines. You could have stopped them. All you had to say was 'no.' You have no spine. You have no pride. You are no longer an asset to the company
It does not do to rely too much on silent majorities, Evey, for silence is a fragile thing... One loud noise, and it's gone.
Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.
Please do NOT combine the novelization of the movie V for Vendetta with the graphic novel V for Vendetta, written by Alan Moore, illustrated by David Lloyd.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0930289528, Paperback)

V for Vendetta is, like its author's later Watchmen, a landmark in comic-book writing. Alan Moore has led the field in intelligent, politically astute (if slightly paranoid), complex adult comic-book writing since the early 1980s. He began V back in 1981 and it constituted one of his first attempts (along with the criminally neglected but equally superb Miracleman) at writing an ongoing series. It is 1998 (which was the future back then!) and a Fascist government has taken over the U.K. The only blot on its particular landscape is a lone terrorist who is systematically killing all the government personnel associated with a now destroyed secret concentration camp. Codename V is out for vengeance ... and an awful lot more. V feels slightly dated like all past premonitions do. The original series was black and white and that added to the grittiness of the feel while the coloring here in the graphic novel sometimes blurs David Lloyd's fine drawing. But these are small concerns. Skillfully plotted, V is an essential read for all those who love comics and the freedom, as a medium, they allow a writer as skilled as Moore. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:51 -0400)

In a near-future Britain ruled by a totalitarian regime, Evey is rescued from certain death by a masked vigilante calling himself "V," a beguiling and charismatic figure who launches a one-man crusade against government tyranny and oppression.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible