V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

V for Vendetta (original 1988; edition 2008)

by Alan Moore, David Lloyd (Illustrator)

6,562119578 (4.2)235
Member:benuathanasia
Title:V for Vendetta
Authors:Alan Moore
Other authors:David Lloyd (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2008), Edition: New, Paperback, 296 pages

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (Writer) (1988)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (FFortuna, monktv)
    monktv: These books have the epic storytelling and interesting meaning in common.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (readerbabe1984)
    The Invisibles: Say You Want a Revolution by Grant Morrison (mike_frank)
    Les mythes de Cthulhu by Alberto Breccia (iijjaallkkaa)
    Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan (grizzly.anderson)

English (108)  Danish (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Indonesian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (119)
Perfect. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
This was the one novel I assigned this semester despite having never read it before. I think it turned out okay, despite that:
  • "I loved War of the Worlds and V for Vendetta. The stories were really interesting and the ideas and themes too."
  • "V for Vendetta, War of the Worlds, Bloody Chamber- no one ever teaches these and i think they have a lot of cool things going on for them."
  • "I think it's up to you to teach V for Vendetta or War of the Worlds -- since V was taught during the last week of class it was an easy read for us students who have already checked out mentally for finals."
  • "I thoroughly enjoyed 'Frankenstein,' 'War of the Worlds,' and 'V for Vendetta.'"
  • "I think that V for Vendetta was the most enjoyable."
  • "Keep V for Vendetta on the condition that you cover The Filth as an addition to the theme of Dystopia."
  • "drop V for Vendetta"
  • "Keep V for Vendetta and War of the Worlds, both interesting reads that add a great variety to the course, you don't find many courses here that let you explore more modern works of British Literature."
  Stevil2001 | Jun 1, 2014 |
شفت الفيلم و قريت الكتاب المصور....عاده باعجب بالك​تب اكتر لكن فى تلك الحاله فاز الفن السابع....لكن ي​ظل الكتاب المصور ممتع برسوماته المعبره​

Dina_Nabil | Mar 23, 2014 |
I hear it is very different from the movie. I want to compare them.
  ClosetWryter | Mar 3, 2014 |

Craddock, SteveLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crain, DaleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dobbs, SiobhanColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitaker, SteveColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Good evening, London. It's nine o' clock and this is the Voice of Fate broadcasting on 275 and 285 in the medium wave... It is the Fifth of the Eleventh, Nineteen-Ninety-Seven...
Good night England. Goodnight Home Service and V for Victory. Hello the Voice of Fate and V FOR VENDETTA. --introduction
And it's no good blaming the drop in work standards upon bad management, either...though, to be sure, the management is very bad. We've had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars and lunatics making a string of catastrophic decisions. This is plain fact. But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these people! You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you! While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short of deliberate. You have encouraged these malicious incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous and unproven machines. You could have stopped them. All you had to say was 'no.' You have no spine. You have no pride. You are no longer an asset to the company
It does not do to rely too much on silent majorities, Evey, for silence is a fragile thing... One loud noise, and it's gone.
Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.
Please do NOT combine the novelization of the movie V for Vendetta with the graphic novel V for Vendetta, written by Alan Moore, illustrated by David Lloyd.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0930289528, Paperback)

V for Vendetta is, like its author's later Watchmen, a landmark in comic-book writing. Alan Moore has led the field in intelligent, politically astute (if slightly paranoid), complex adult comic-book writing since the early 1980s. He began V back in 1981 and it constituted one of his first attempts (along with the criminally neglected but equally superb Miracleman) at writing an ongoing series. It is 1998 (which was the future back then!) and a Fascist government has taken over the U.K. The only blot on its particular landscape is a lone terrorist who is systematically killing all the government personnel associated with a now destroyed secret concentration camp. Codename V is out for vengeance ... and an awful lot more. V feels slightly dated like all past premonitions do. The original series was black and white and that added to the grittiness of the feel while the coloring here in the graphic novel sometimes blurs David Lloyd's fine drawing. But these are small concerns. Skillfully plotted, V is an essential read for all those who love comics and the freedom, as a medium, they allow a writer as skilled as Moore. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:51 -0400)

In a near-future Britain ruled by a totalitarian regime, Evey is rescued from certain death by a masked vigilante calling himself "V," a beguiling and charismatic figure who launches a one-man crusade against government tyranny and oppression.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible