Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Red Bones by Ann Cleeves

Red Bones (2009)

by Ann Cleeves

Series: Shetland (3)

English (38)  Swedish (1)  All languages (39)
A pleasant read that presents the ethos and history of the Shetland Islands well. The mystery is a doozie too. ( )
  charlie68 | Feb 12, 2019 |
Jimmy Perez is called in to investigate the death of Mima Wilson, which appears to be an accident; she was out on her property late at night and, with people out hunting rabbits, she appears to have been shot by mistake. But then another person dies in suspicious circumstances, and Jimmy can’t ignore the coincidence. He also can’t ignore the family feuds and the buried secrets that are coming to light.

This was the most successful book in the series for me; I got into it fairly quickly and felt pretty swept away by it, to the point that I immediately requested the next book, Blue Lightning, from the library. But I don’t have much to say about it. It was a pleasant diversion. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Oct 29, 2018 |
I love being in Shetland. The description of the place really takes me there. I am swept away by Gordon Griffin's wonderful narration. The characters feel like folks I know. I feel for them and want the best for them. The mystery is always satisfying. Ann Cleeves is a terrific storyteller. After reading one of this series I really want to visit the islands. Thank you for a wonderful escape from some of the darker reading I was doing at the same time. ( )
  njcur | May 19, 2018 |
Jimmy Perez is back - there are bones at an archaeological and an accidental shooting - but something seems not quite right and Jimmy starts feeling his way through the history of the village and discovers an unlikely connection and a different perspective on the events. There is very little about Jimmy's personal life in this one - just his reflections on his growing relationship with Fran. ( )
1 vote tjsjohanna | Feb 27, 2018 |
Excellent character development of the subordinate detective, Sandy, makes this book a winner. An apparent accident and an apparent suicide are the deaths that fuel the plot. Jimmy Perez knows that something is very much amiss on a barely inhabited island way up north. Not as atmospheric as the previous two entries in the series, this is a strong mystery that makes for absorbing reading. A very nice plot twist finishes the story in fine form. ( )
1 vote bohemima | Feb 9, 2018 |
Lavmælt prat
Underholdende og spennende, men litt for tregt
added by annek49 | editAftenposten, Terje Stemland (Mar 21, 2010)

Anna opened her eyes and saw a pair of hands, streaked and shiny with blood.

When an elderly woman is shot in a tragic accident, Shetland detective Jimmy Perez is called to investigate.

The sparse landscape and the emptiness of the sea have bred a fierce and secretive people. As Jimmy looks to the silent islanders for answers, he finds instead two feuding families whose envy, greed and bitterness have lasted generations.

Then there's another death and, as the spring weather shrouds the island in claustrophobic mists, Jimmy must dig up old secrets to stop a new killer from striking again.

In the aftermath of a young archaeologist's discovery of human remains that may be modern, Jimmy Perez is called in to investigate a case that is further complicated by the subsequent murder of an elderly woman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,430,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible