Black Sunday by Thomas Harris

Black Sunday (original 1975; edition 1975)

by Thomas Harris

Info:New York : Putnam, [1975]
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Conspiracies--Terrorism--Spies, Mystery, 1970s, reread, (end), bl

Black Sunday by Thomas Harris (1975)

eh ... timely fiction I suppose ... ( )
  beebowallace | Jan 24, 2014 |
Harris on good form, not believable but keeps the attention through to the conclusion; we knew all along that the rotters wouldn't pull it off! ( )
  NaggedMan | Nov 23, 2013 |
The two books that librarything keeps pushing for me are Memoirs of a Geisha and Hannibal. I decided to go with serial killers first. I am compulsive about reading from the beginning so checked out the author's first book. It was enjoyable, and now am on to his second book, Red Dragon. ( )
  mainrun | Sep 24, 2013 |
The first book I have read by this author, and it is a terrific thriller. The main character's background is shown in depth, and all the detail really works. I hadn't been too excited about getting into his Hannibal Lecter books, but since this one is so good, and since I am a fan of "Dexter", I'll be checking out more of his work. ( )
  TulsaTV | Dec 29, 2011 |
Terrorists plot to commit mass murder during the Super Bowl in New Orleans, and law enforcement tries to stop them.

Harris’ first novel is a queerly prescient view of the world even 30 years after it was published. It follows three terrorists – two Palestinian “freedom fighters” and a disgruntled Vietnam vet – as they execute a frightening plan to explode a bomb over the Super Bowl and kill everyone there, including the President. A parallel story line follows the movements of the Israeli Mossad and CIA as they try to track down the terrorists, deduce what they are going to do and stop it.

In the ‘70s, this book must have seemed like a fantastic thrill ride. Today, it’s all too realistic. Even in his first novel, Harris’ spare, precise style is evident. The book reads more like a screenplay than a novel, and for this type of story, that’s just what’s needed to keep the suspense honed.

This was my second reading of this novel, and while I found it just as enjoyable and suspenseful as the first time around – I didn’t remember what happened in the end – I wasn’t quite as engaged in the story, perhaps because it had become so much easier to imagine something like this actually happening.

Read because I like the author and reread in 2003. ( )
  sturlington | Jul 28, 2011 |

Thomas Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oddera, B.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oddera, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mary Allen
Night fell as the airport taxi rattled along the six miles of coastal road into Beirut.

From the genius of Thomas Harris, the #1 New York Times bestselling author who introduced the world to Hannibal Lecter, comes his terrifying and prophetic debut of an American who plans an act of terrorism at the Super Bowl?as the whole world watches. But in a mob of 80,000 people, how can they find him to stop him?

The clock is ticking?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:46 -0400)

Michael Lander "pilots a blimp over packed football stadiums every weekend," and he happens to be fascinated with explosives. He also "happens to be very, very crazy."--Cover.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible