Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon by Donna…

Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (2003)

by Donna Andrews

This book is a humorous, cozy mystery with an artist (Meg Langslow) acting as an unofficial private eye. This is my first book by Andrews, and it was ok. The prose is good, but the plot is lightweight, IMO, not as good as most of those in the Dortmunder series by Donald E. Westlake. I do like Meg as a character, who is not goofy or incompetent like many of the other characters. Not having read the previous 3 books in the series, I guess I missed some of her backstory, but I'm not inclined to read them. I may read another in this series if it is highly recommended by GR reviewers. I think I'd like to try it as an audiobook if the narrator is good. ( )
  MidwestGeek | Dec 29, 2017 |
This is the second Donna Andrews "Meg Langslow" mystery I have read. This is an easy read, moves quickly, the characters are likeable, the situations mostly believable. I will definitely read more of this series any time I want some light fiction. ( )
  Tonestaple | Mar 11, 2015 |
The Langslow series tends toward slap dash humor, often to the point of the bizarre. Crouching Buzzard is zany and fun and definitely my favorite.

Meg's brother, Rob, created a game called 'Lawyers from Hell' which has become an incredible hit among computer gamers. His company, Mutant Wizards, seems to have an in-house problem which he has set Meg to uncover. When murder is added to the mix, she's off and running. ( )
  cfk | Jan 12, 2015 |
This is my all-time favorite Donna Andrews book! If you've ever worked in an IT department and love a funny mystery, this is one to re-read! ( )
  JanetArmentani | Jul 25, 2013 |
Meg and Michael are hunting for a house, Rob and his programming team are having Meg serve as office help until they can find someone permanently. When one of the programmers is found dead, Meg is on the case along with her father. There is an amazing number of suspects including Rob and all his team, a disgruntled employee, and the other tenants of the building where Mutant Wizards is housed. Michael is in California so Meg is working pretty much alone. There are a couple great scenes involving "affirmation bears" that talk, and then fall into the hands of the programmers. I'm still really enjoying this series and will keep reading. ( )
  bookswoman | Apr 20, 2013 |
"Mutant Wizard," I said. "Could you hold, please?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312990014, Mass Market Paperback)

Poor Meg Langslow. She's blessed in so many ways. Michael, her boyfriend, is a handsome, delightful heartthrob who adores her. She's a successful blacksmith, known for her artistic wrought-iron creations. But somehow Meg's road to contentment is more rutted and filled with potholes than seems fair.

There are Michael's and Meg's doting but demanding mothers, for a start. And then there's the fruitless hunt for a place big enough for the couple to live together. And a succession of crises brought on by the well-meaning but utterly wacky demands of her friends and family. Demands that Meg has a hard time refusing---which is why she's tending the switchboard of Mutant Wizards, where her brother's computer games are created, and handling all the office management problems that no one else bothers with. For companionship, besides a crew of eccentric techies, she has a buzzard with one wing---who she must feed frozen mice thawed in the office microwave---and Michael's mother's nightmare dog. Not to mention the psychotherapists who refuse to give up their lease on half of the office space, and whose conflicting therapies cause continuing dissension. This is not what Meg had in mind when she agreed to help her brother move his staff to new offices.

In fact, the atmosphere is so consistently loony that the office mail cart makes several passes through the reception room, with the office practical joker lying on top of it pretending to be dead, before Meg realizes that he's become the victim of someone who wasn't joking at all. He's been murdered for real.

Donna Andrews's debut book, Murder with Peacocks, won the St. Martin's Malice Domestic best first novel contest and reaped a harvest of other honors as well. This is the fourth book in the Meg Langslow series, which features the intrepid Meg and her cast of oddball relatives. Their capers are a lighthearted joy to read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:47 -0400)

Operating the switchboard at the business office shared by her brother's computer-game company and six unusual therapists, Meg Langslow finds herself drawn into a mystery when the company's practical joker is murdered on top of a mail cart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,081,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible