Cry Wolf by Tami Hoag

Cry Wolf (1993)

by Tami Hoag

Series: Doucet (3)

Standoff by Sandra Brown (tina1969)
    tina1969: If you like Tami Hoag you will love this book by Sandra Brown.

English (13)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
Very enjoyable. The romance was totally unrealistic, but I enjoyed it as escapism. Well-written, engaging characters, not the most believable plot in the world but a fun fast-paced read nonetheless. ( )
  AliceAnna | Sep 10, 2014 |
Another really good book by Tami. Can't wait to read another ( )
  askum | Jul 2, 2013 |
Overall Rating: 3.50
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 3.00

Audio Rating (Not part of the overall Rating): 3.50

Quick Thoughts: Tami Hoag is an excellent thriller writer and Cry Wolf definitely delivered on story. It was a twisty, turny, nail-biter that kept you guessing for a very long time. I didn't really connect with any of the characters so that is really the only drawback. That is often personal between the reader and the book so please keep that in mind. The setting and atmosphere were awesome. Overall this was a pretty darn good read!

Audio Thoughts: Narrated by Joyce Bean, I thought she did a good job on pacing and delivering a solid performance. I didn't connect with her male voices at all but I think that might have been due to the characters (somewhat). I have heard other books by Joyce and enjoyed them. She is a good narrator.

Final Thought: Fans of Tami Hoag will not want to miss Cry Wolf!
  thehistorychic | Apr 3, 2013 |
I was told I need to read more outside of my favorite genres, so I went to the library and picked the first title that caught my eye.

THE LONG AND SHORT:
I don't read thrillers. Especially ones that are romance heavy. I was under the impression that this would be some mix of Criminal Minds + Law and Order. Instead I got something that you would find on the Lifetime network. In my opinion, that is not a good thing. In my head, Lifetime = melodramatic romance mixed with some violence for spice demonstrated by the washed up refugees of Hollywood.

THE LONG
I like southern settings, they are both familiar and exotically strange. Hoag is great at making the setting come to life, and to be honest, that was the only thing that kept me reading. While some of her characters had promise (Savannah, Jack, the Delahoussayes) I hated pretty much everyone else, ESPECIALLY Laurel. The real thriller-y part doesn't even begin until about page 300. The "perverse game" isn't much of the disturbing brain teaser it could have been either. The killer is pretty obvious once they show up and the mighty Laurel only figures it out when the killer gives themself away intentionally. There's no cat and mouse game, no matching of wits, just Laurel shaking in her boots and 'bravely not crying'. Everything before pg 300 is an incredibly over-dramatic angst fest by every character you meet. There was an over-repetition of phrases that drove me crazy and they didn't go away, even up to the very last page. Phrases like:

"If she had a brain in her head, she would walk away...."
"Jack took in the rigid set of her shoulders-so slim, so delicate, too often carrying a burden that would have crushed a lesser person."

by the 14th time I've read similar lines, I very much wanted both Laurel and Jack to be done in by the fell Killer. Something is very wrong when, as a reader, you're cheering on a serial killer.

I hear tell that her later books are much better, and this book is nearly 20 years old, so I'm striving to be fair and not write Hoag of as a terrible experiment gone wrong. ( )
  SophieCale | Mar 29, 2013 |
Overall, this book is entertaining to listen to and has "aged" well (published 1993, recorded 2012). It is suspenseful, but sometimes a bit predictable as to victims and events about to occur. The storyline is imaginative and filled with storyline off-shoots. Just wished a couple of those had been tied up or revealed by the book's end. Oh, well - still worth listening to (or reading!). ( )
  Conkie | Jan 29, 2013 |

Tami Hoagprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bean, JoyceReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bredman, RiekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huline-Guinard, JulieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All things are taken from us, and become
Portions and parcels of the dreadful Past

Alfred, Lord Tennyson
The Lotus-Eaters
The bateau slides through the still waters of the bayou.
Le bateau fend les eaux dormantes du bayou
I pole the boat forward, toward home, and know contentment for the first time in my life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055356160X, Mass Market Paperback)

The scream heard by no one is the deadliest.

In the rural parishes of Louisiana's French Triangle, young women are disappearing one by one, only to turn up on the banks of the bayou, strangled and cast aside where they are sure to be found. But there is one trophy the killer prizes above all others, one woman who must be silenced forever....

Attorney Laurel Chandler did not come back to Bayou Breaux to seek justice. That once-burning obsession had destroyed her credibility, her career, her marriage—and nearly her sanity. But when a ruthless predator strikes too close to home, she's lured into a perverse game from which there may be no escape. Once before, Laurel's cries against a monstrous evil went unanswered. Who will listen now?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:55 -0400)

Attorney Laurel Chandler tries not to fall for the charm of notorious bad boy writer Jack Boudreaux, a man who has seduced half the women in Bayou Breaux.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,740,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible