Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

Winter's Tale (original 1983; edition 2005)

by Mark Helprin

3,171971,765 (4.13)208
Member:lovemybooks
Title:Winter's Tale
Authors:Mark Helprin
Info:Mariner Books (2005), Edition: First edition., Paperback, 768 pages

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (1983)

Recently added byMaybelline, private library, Bev4ever, Richard_Middleton, ibinu
    The Solitudes by John Crowley (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (one-horse.library)
    The Mevrouw Who Saved Manhattan: A Novel of New Amsterdam by Bill Greer (Manthepark)
    Manthepark: Another imaginative historical novel of New York, a very funny story of life on Manhattan with the first Dutch settlers.

English (96)  Italian (1)  All languages (97)
Did not finish. Gave up at page 190. Life's too short for novels of this size when there are ones of equal size I'd rather be reading. It was just too much like hard work for me. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 15, 2015 |
This is a mythical tale, unrelated in anyway to the play of the same name written by Shakespeare. It is both a romantic love story, a sacrificial love story, and the struggle between good and evil. Slow in some parts, but all in all a great "winter's" read! ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Mar 14, 2015 |
(DNF at 10%)

This book has the honor of being one of the few books in my life that I have given up on. I usually don't give up easily but I work too hard and am too busy to waste my time trying to slog through this book. The book jumps around too much to really become interested in the story. The characters are at times too odd for me to care about. If you put this book down in the middle of a chapter you will be absolutely lost when you pick it back up. Quite frankly I was lost most of the time while reading this. This wasn't profound but it was a giant mess. ( )
  dpappas | Feb 28, 2015 |
While it was funny, there were some bits that were lacking. Also Peter Lake is likeable, but he's too much an archetype. And Pearly Soames is weird. Again it is a funny book, but I didn't like Helprin's writing style. He put too much clunky descriptions that weighed down the story. Also a bit to fairy-tale-y for me. If you were expecting adventure, don't find it here. ( )
  Rosenstern | Feb 25, 2015 |
There is no doubt that Helprin is a magnificent writer who knows what he's doing when he starts writing, but by everything that is holy, this was a snoreathon.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't finish it. After about 20 pages describing in in depth detail a white horse running through Manhattan, I just couldn't push myself to continue. It's very likely that I will try reading this again in the future, but for now:

Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
"I have been to another world, and come back. Listen to me."
FOR MY FATHER
No One Knows the City Better
A great city is nothing more than a portrait of itself, and yet when all is said and done, its arsenals of scenes and images are part of a deeply moving plan.
Winter, it was said, was the season in which time was superconductive - the season when a brittle world might shatter in the face of astonishing events, later to reform in a new body as solid and smooth as young transparent ice.
A tranquil city of good laws, fine architecture, and clean streets is like a classroom of obedient dullards, or a field of gelded bulls - whereas a city of anarchy is a city of promise.

New York City is subsumed in arctic winds, dark nights, and white lights, its life unfolds, for it is an extraordinary hive of the imagination, the greatest house ever built, and nothing exists that can check its vitality. One night in winter, Peter Lake--orphan and master-mechanic, attempts to rob a fortress-like mansion on the Upper West Side.

Though he thinks the house is empty, the daughter of the house is home. Thus begins the love between Peter Lake, a middle-aged Irish burglar, and Beverly Penn, a young girl, who is dying.

Peter Lake, a simple, uneducated man, because of a love that, at first he does not fully understand, is driven to stop time and bring back the dead. His great struggle, in a city ever alight with its own energy and beseiged by unprecedented winters, is one of the most beautiful and extraordinary stories of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:25 -0400)

When master mechanic Peter Lake attempts to rob a mansion on the Upper West Side, he is caught by young Beverly Penn, the terminally ill daughter of the house, and their subsequent love sends Peter on a desperate personal journey.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,157,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible