Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

Winter's Tale (original 1983; edition 2005)

by Mark Helprin

Title:Winter's Tale
Authors:Mark Helprin
Info:Mariner Books (2005), Edition: First edition., Paperback, 768 pages

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (1983)

Ægypt by John Crowley (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (TomWaitsTables)
    The Mevrouw Who Saved Manhattan: A Novel of New Amsterdam by Bill Greer (Manthepark)
    Manthepark: Another imaginative historical novel of New York, a very funny story of life on Manhattan with the first Dutch settlers.

English (99)  Italian (1)  All languages (100)
i did not rate this book as I did not finish it. I did not realize that it was a "fantasy " book and it's just really not my thing. I tried to get through it but couldn't.
  Smits | Nov 21, 2015 |
I so wanted to love this. I actually feel cheated that I didn't. I've chosen not to rate Winter's Tale though because of its beautiful language, phrases of absolutely exquisite diction. (And for Athansor.) I usually feel a twinge of heart wrenching when I finish a book; i wish it didn't end maybe, I want to continue my journey with characters I grew to love, I miss the world the author has woven for me and the adventures I had there. None of that happened here and I really wish it had.
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |

Alli.Broad | Jun 5, 2015 |
Did not finish. Gave up at page 190. Life's too short for novels of this size when there are ones of equal size I'd rather be reading. It was just too much like hard work for me. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 15, 2015 |
This is a mythical tale, unrelated in anyway to the play of the same name written by Shakespeare. It is both a romantic love story, a sacrificial love story, and the struggle between good and evil. Slow in some parts, but all in all a great "winter's" read! ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Mar 14, 2015 |
"I have been to another world, and come back. Listen to me."
No One Knows the City Better
A great city is nothing more than a portrait of itself, and yet when all is said and done, its arsenals of scenes and images are part of a deeply moving plan.
Winter, it was said, was the season in which time was superconductive - the season when a brittle world might shatter in the face of astonishing events, later to reform in a new body as solid and smooth as young transparent ice.
A tranquil city of good laws, fine architecture, and clean streets is like a classroom of obedient dullards, or a field of gelded bulls - whereas a city of anarchy is a city of promise.

New York City is subsumed in arctic winds, dark nights, and white lights, its life unfolds, for it is an extraordinary hive of the imagination, the greatest house ever built, and nothing exists that can check its vitality. One night in winter, Peter Lake--orphan and master-mechanic, attempts to rob a fortress-like mansion on the Upper West Side.

Though he thinks the house is empty, the daughter of the house is home. Thus begins the love between Peter Lake, a middle-aged Irish burglar, and Beverly Penn, a young girl, who is dying.

Peter Lake, a simple, uneducated man, because of a love that, at first he does not fully understand, is driven to stop time and bring back the dead. His great struggle, in a city ever alight with its own energy and beseiged by unprecedented winters, is one of the most beautiful and extraordinary stories of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

When master mechanic Peter Lake attempts to rob a mansion on the Upper West Side, he is caught by young Beverly Penn, the terminally ill daughter of the house, and their subsequent love sends Peter on a desperate personal journey.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,947,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible