Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

Winter's Tale (original 1983; edition 2005)

by Mark Helprin

Member:lovemybooks
Title:Winter's Tale
Authors:Mark Helprin
Info:Mariner Books (2005), Edition: First edition., Paperback, 768 pages

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (1983)

The Mevrouw Who Saved Manhattan: A Novel of New Amsterdam by Bill Greer (Manthepark)
    Manthepark: Another imaginative historical novel of New York, a very funny story of life on Manhattan with the first Dutch settlers.
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (TomWaitsTables)

English (112)  Italian (1)  All languages (113)
Personally, I am a dork and as much as I wanted to like this book. I could not. I have a hard, hard, time with Science Fiction.. Thank You Seasonal Reading Challenge for taking me outside of my comfort zone. I thought that this book was full of adjectives that Lost me. I thought that it was mentally frustrating and by the end I was exhausted because of all the voices in the head. I actually liked what I got to know of the characters but was so lost in the LONG descriptions that I gave up. I think that the author can write but I think that he could have trimmed the book a little by taking out some of these descriptions. I am giving the book 2 stars because a.) I finished it and b.) because if I ever need to describe something I am using this book...
1 vote Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Review to come... ( )
  GoldenHoldenCervone | Aug 4, 2016 |
This should not be listened to as an audio book. I'm on disc 4 and I can't go any further. It's hard to follow and it's boring. I've read different reviews and I shouldn't have picked it up. Plus I read that the movie is different than the book so why even read the book when I wanted to read it before seeing the movie. So I'm moving on. DNF ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Too too too much. I expected to love the book, I only finished because this was a book club reading. I love Neal Stephenson, so I can handle a long tale with many, many characters and long, meandering descriptions of things like, say, eating a bowl of Captain Crunch.

Usually when a book has this many rave reviews about beautiful writing and wonderful storytelling, I understand why even when the story isn't my cup of tea. But this, whatever it is, I just don't get. Words on top of words for the sake of words. ( )
  rlsalvati | Jul 5, 2016 |
inventive but much longer than it needed to be. ( )
  Bostonseanachie | Jun 5, 2016 |

Helprin, Markprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, WilliamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I have been to another world, and come back. Listen to me."
FOR MY FATHER
No One Knows the City Better
A great city is nothing more than a portrait of itself, and yet when all is said and done, its arsenals of scenes and images are part of a deeply moving plan.
Winter, it was said, was the season in which time was superconductive - the season when a brittle world might shatter in the face of astonishing events, later to reform in a new body as solid and smooth as young transparent ice.
A tranquil city of good laws, fine architecture, and clean streets is like a classroom of obedient dullards, or a field of gelded bulls - whereas a city of anarchy is a city of promise.

New York City is subsumed in arctic winds, dark nights, and white lights, its life unfolds, for it is an extraordinary hive of the imagination, the greatest house ever built, and nothing exists that can check its vitality. One night in winter, Peter Lake--orphan and master-mechanic, attempts to rob a fortress-like mansion on the Upper West Side.

Though he thinks the house is empty, the daughter of the house is home. Thus begins the love between Peter Lake, a middle-aged Irish burglar, and Beverly Penn, a young girl, who is dying.

Peter Lake, a simple, uneducated man, because of a love that, at first he does not fully understand, is driven to stop time and bring back the dead. His great struggle, in a city ever alight with its own energy and beseiged by unprecedented winters, is one of the most beautiful and extraordinary stories of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

When master mechanic Peter Lake attempts to rob a mansion on the Upper West Side, he is caught by young Beverly Penn, the terminally ill daughter of the house, and their subsequent love sends Peter on a desperate personal journey.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,246,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible