Averno: Poems by Louise Glück

Averno: Poems

by Louise Glück

Recently added byPermDude, abrahamhyatt, MarylandandTrop, averybird, private library, glitzandshadows, rtttt01

Aching emotions and nature. Simple language, myth, and history. Will need to find more Gluck. Going for Meadowlands next. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
This collection wasn't as enjoyable as "Ararat". The poems in this collection are more abstract and the themes are more repetitive. Gluck uses the myth of Persephone to explore the nature of the human soul and death. The minor themes were fields, the relationship between Mothers and Daughters (to a much lesser extent than in "Ararat"), and Seasons. I enjoyed the collection but I can't pin point a particular poem that stood out to me. 'Prisms' was probably my favorite. ( )
  Pretear | Feb 8, 2009 |
Simultaneously soaring and sad. Gluck is a master of American poetry. I sense her poems becoming sadder as she ages, but the sadness is nearly majestic. ( )
  abirdman | Jul 4, 2007 |
Former Poet Laureate Louise Glück, in her tenth collection, delves once more into the rich subject of mythology, both personal and classical, presenting a sequence of poems revolving around themes loosely connected to Persephone and our fascination with the idea of an Underworld. Terse, literate, and powerful, like much of her previous work, this volume seems an extended elegy for life itself.
Recommended by Don, June 2007
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Staff Picks
  FirstFloor | Jun 29, 2007 |
I always enjoy Gluck's poetry, and I liked Averno, too. The title is the name of a crater in southern Italy thought by the Romans to be the entrance to the underworld. And these poems are concerned with myth and death, my favorite being "The Myth of Devotion", another telling of Persephone in hell. In fact, Persephone herself is character and theme of several of the poems. But the onset of chill fall, death, and the need for consolation inhabit them as much as character, human and god. They're somber but lovely, too, interesting as stories. ( )
  ThePerpetualOrgy | Mar 21, 2007 |

Averno is a small crater lake in southern Italy, regarded by the ancient Romans as the entrance to the underworld. That place gives its name to Louise Glück’s tenth collection: in a landscape turned irretrievably to winter, it is a gate or passageway that invites traffic between worlds while at the same time resisting their reconciliation. Averno is an extended lamentation, its long, restless poems no less spellbinding for being without conventional resoltution or consolation, no less ravishing for being savage, grief-stricken. What Averno provides is not a map to a point of arrival or departure, but a diagram of where we are, the harrowing, enduring present.

Averno is a 2006 National Book Award Finalist for Poetry.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

Award-winning US poet laureate Louise Gluck presents this collection of poems.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,993,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible