Averno: Poems by Louise Glück

Averno: Poems

by Louise Glück

I couldn't say it better than this. From The NYTBR:

"Far from the dull outposts where American poets have become willfully obscure or adopted antique models to assemble poems of scant content, poets like Glück are tapping the wellsprings of myth, collective and personal, to fuel their imaginations and, with hard-earned clarity and subtle music, to struggle with some of our oldest, most intractable fears — isolation and oblivion, the dissolution of love, the failure of memory, the breakdown of the body and destruction of the spirit. Glück isn't one to flinch in the face of suffering; if it's glib talk or easy irony you want, or a soothing metaphysical cocktail that promises redemption without pain, hers is not the poetry for you." ( )
  abrahamhyatt | Apr 3, 2013 |
Aching emotions and nature. Simple language, myth, and history. Will need to find more Gluck. Going for Meadowlands next. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
This collection wasn't as enjoyable as "Ararat". The poems in this collection are more abstract and the themes are more repetitive. Gluck uses the myth of Persephone to explore the nature of the human soul and death. The minor themes were fields, the relationship between Mothers and Daughters (to a much lesser extent than in "Ararat"), and Seasons. I enjoyed the collection but I can't pin point a particular poem that stood out to me. 'Prisms' was probably my favorite. ( )
  Pretear | Feb 8, 2009 |
Simultaneously soaring and sad. Gluck is a master of American poetry. I sense her poems becoming sadder as she ages, but the sadness is nearly majestic. ( )
  abirdman | Jul 4, 2007 |
Former Poet Laureate Louise Glück, in her tenth collection, delves once more into the rich subject of mythology, both personal and classical, presenting a sequence of poems revolving around themes loosely connected to Persephone and our fascination with the idea of an Underworld. Terse, literate, and powerful, like much of her previous work, this volume seems an extended elegy for life itself.
Recommended by Don, June 2007
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Staff Picks
  FirstFloor | Jun 29, 2007 |

Averno is a small crater lake in southern Italy, regarded by the ancient Romans as the entrance to the underworld. That place gives its name to Louise Glück’s tenth collection: in a landscape turned irretrievably to winter, it is a gate or passageway that invites traffic between worlds while at the same time resisting their reconciliation. Averno is an extended lamentation, its long, restless poems no less spellbinding for being without conventional resoltution or consolation, no less ravishing for being savage, grief-stricken. What Averno provides is not a map to a point of arrival or departure, but a diagram of where we are, the harrowing, enduring present.

Averno is a 2006 National Book Award Finalist for Poetry.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:15 -0400)

Award-winning US poet laureate Louise Gluck presents this collection of poems.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible