Bad Twin by Gary Troup

Info:Hyperion (2006), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:2013 Category Challenge, Read but unowned
Tags:don't own, 2013CC, read 2013, Intro to Author

Bad Twin by Gary Troup

This was my second time reading through this one and I think it's a perfectly fun, serviceable mystery. I'm not sure why so many reviewers seem to find so much fault with it.

Of course, part of that might be that they misunderstood the purpose of the book. It was never meant to reveal secret knowledge about anything going on in Lost. It was merely meant to be the manuscript that Sawyer finds amongst the wreckage (the author, Gary Troup, having been sucked into the plane's engine in the first episode) and reads until Jack tosses the whole thing in the fire. Of course, I also understand that it is supposed to have some connection to the Lost ARG, but I didn't really follow that. I just thought it was a cool idea to release the final manuscript by Oceanic 815 passenger Gary Troup as part of the Lost experience.

This is a fun read, and it's peppered with names from Lost and the Lost ARG, but it's clear that names like Widmore were just used by Troup as a popular rich, business family name (like a writer in our world might use Vanderbilt), because the Widmores in the world of Lost are of UK origin, not US. Perhaps Troup based his Widmores on some American branch of the same family, perhaps not, but that's going beyond the purpose of the story.

Also, if you look at the events of the novel in a more allegorical sense, there's actually quite a bit revealed for what came after this book was originally released. Especially on the nature of good and evil. It's possible, and this is just my theory of course, that Jacob had a small, but significant guiding hand in Troup's writing of Bad Twin. I mean, he was brought to the island, even if he didn't last that long. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Aug 10, 2015 |
A LOST book club read: Simple and predictable but surprisingly pleasant considering that I went into it with the lowest of expectations. ( )
  cjyurkanin | May 22, 2013 |
"Denial was a powerful thing, and it was hard even to imagine the difficulty and pain of acknowledging that one's own twin, one's own genetic double, had murder on his mind."

When I first saw the cover for this book, my first thought was that we were finally going to get the goods on Jacob and The Man in Black. The story is about a pair of twins, just not those twins. Islands are involved, just not The Island. In fact, it's a story that has absolutely not one thing to do with the plot or characters of the LOST tv show. There are few shout-outs to the fans: a mention of Oceanic Airlines, a few Widmores in the cast of characters, but nothing of substance. So if you're halfway through the series and are worried about learning something vital or getting ahead of the timeline by reading this book.... relax. It's completely standalone.

Now that we have that out of the way, why should a LOST fan read it? Why should anyone spend a few hours invested in it? Because it's a pretty entertaining mystery! It has a classic sensibility to it, like The Maltese Falcon or The Big Sleep. Not that it has the dialogue or the language of a hardboiled novel, don't get that impression, but it has that same feeling. A struggling P.I., an elusive case, a femme fatale and plenty of bodies.

As a LOST fan it left me disappointed. As a mystery reader, I really enjoyed it. ( )
  VictoriaPL | Jan 16, 2013 |
I only read this because I am a fan of Lost. It was not particularly well written, and it didn’t add anything to my understanding of the TV show. Now I know why Gary Troup was sucked into a jet engine in the pilot episode.

Read in 2008 because I liked Lost. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 25, 2012 |
AMAZING BOOK! lots of inside info of lost hidden messages all that good stuff!! didn;t really undertand the ending and there could have been more lost refrernces but a great book for even a non lost fan! ( )
  avhacker | Dec 9, 2010 |

Private detective Paul Artisan investigates the disappearance of one of a pair of adult twins, the scions of a wealthy but tragedy-prone family, but as he follows a trail across the globe, he discovers that there may be more at stake than a fortune. For fans of ABCUs "Lost" comes Gary Troup's long-awaited suspense novel featuring Paul Artisan, P.I. This TV tie-in "is a startlingly original novel, delivering a dark, comedic mystery that will haunt you for weeks" (Jane Comins).… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,031,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible