99 Coffins by David Wellington
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (VictoriaPL)
    VictoriaPL: Another vampire tale of the civil war era.

The second novel in David Wellington's vampire series is an exciting improvement on the first. Trooper Laura Caxton is still fairly useless, but at least she is facing her fears - and this time, she is in charge. One year after the events in 13 Bullets, Laura and her miserable mentor Arkeley have been immortalised on film as vampire hunters, but all Caxton wants to do is forget and move on. When Arkeley asks for her help with another case, she tries to refuse him, but curiosity wins over her better judgement and the two end up in Gettysburg. An archaeological dig has turned up 99 vampire coffins on the battlefield, and Laura must make sure that the old bones are well and truly dead - but the 100th coffin is empty.

The combination of history and vampires in this story had me hooked - I didn't know anything about the Battle of Gettysburg, or the American Civil War, but Caxton's investigation into an undead army of Union soldiers really brought the details of that era to life (pardon the pun). And the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia, where Arkeley tries to force a confrontation between ancient vampire hag Justinia Malvern and one of her creations was absolutely fascinating, and very atmospheric. The head vampire was actually very charming and amusing, too, which made a change from the usual feral monsters of Wellington's mythology.

The terror - and feeling of claustrophobia - generated by Caxton's battles with vicious and virtually unstoppable vampires is what sets this series apart from the many other examples of vampire fiction I have read recently - that, and the 'gay lady supercop' heroine, of course. I actually shared the Trooper's sense of despair and guilt, when she and the others were facing wave and after wave of supernatural killers in Gettysburg. Truly the tense, tortuous stuff of nightmares. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Mar 19, 2012 |
An interesting twist on vampires and a fascinating linkage into the American Civil War. Well written with good characters that made for an enjoyable, fast paced read. ( )
  Falcon124 | Jan 29, 2012 |
Summary: Laura Caxton is now a famous vampire hunter and they've even made a movie about her ordeal with vampire, but the horror is just beginning when she is called to an archaeologist dig where 99 vampire coffins were discovered. All seems fine when she notices that they're all missing their hearts, but someone just might be holding on to the hearts and waiting for the perfect time to raise army of 99 vampires once again.

Review: At first, I was a little discouraged when I saw this was 'historical fiction,' but it didn't feel like a history--not at all. It was quite interesting tying the vampire horror in with a secret of the Civil War. This book was even better than the first one. Horror mastermind David Wellington brings us another great horror tale.

Series order: 13 Bullets, 99 Coffins, Vampire Zero, 23 Hours. ( )
  simply00complex | Aug 13, 2011 |
99 Coffins is something a bit different. At first I found the dual narrative irritating even though I understood its importance to the story - it felt like it interupted the urgency of Laura's story but in the end I didn't mind so much, and in fact find the whole idea of his premise intriguing.I generally don't like horror (with some notable exceptions) but I enjoyed this because it didn't dwell on the splatter and gore. It was dark but not gratuitous and the action was fast paced, taut and interesting. I havn't read the first in the trilogy but that didn't really affect my reading of this, though it was obvious there was some back story I could have benefited from knowing. I do plan to pick up the next book to see how they track down A. ( )
  shelleyraec | May 9, 2011 |
Laura Caxton is now the most proficient vampire hunter, because her mentor was seriously injured in the previous encounter, losing the fingers from one hand and now not being much too much use in a fight - and also getting rather long in the tooth.

An archaeological dig at Gettysburg uncovers a nasty leftover - a group of vampire coffins. The tale of this is told in flashback short chapters interspersed with the present day tale.

The foolish academics in charge reunite one of them with his heart - and he sets out to raise the rest - leaving Caxton rallying troops to fight a small scale anti-vampire war, with a denouement if you can't beat them, then join them to beat them.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/2010/11/99-bullets-david-wellington/ ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Nov 18, 2010 |
Fifty thousand men had died or been wounded in this broad valley, Montrose told himself.

Laura Caxton vowed never to face them again. The horror of what the vampires did is too close, the wounds too fresh. But when Jameson Arkeley, broken and barely recognizable, comes to her with an unfathomable, unholy discovery, her resolve crumbles.

Arkeley leads Caxton to a tomb in Gettysburg recently excavated by a local archaeology professor. While the town, with its legendary role in the Civil War’s worst battle, is no stranger to cemeteries, this one is remarkably, eerily different. In it lie 100 coffins—99 of them occupied by vampires, who, luckily, are missing their hearts. But one of the coffins is empty and smashed to pieces.

Who is the missing vampire? Does he have access to the 99 hearts that, if placed back in the bodies of their owners, could reanimate an entire bloodthirsty army? How did the vampires end up there, undisturbed and undiscovered for 150 years? The answer lies in Civil War documents that contain sinister secrets about the newly found coffins—secrets that Laura Caxton is about to uncover as she is thrown into a deadly, gruesome mission of saving an entire town from a mass invasion of the undead. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:59 -0400)

Laura Caxton vowed never to face them again. The horror of what the vampires did is too close, the wounds too fresh. But when Jameson Arkeley comes to her with an unfathomable discovery, her resolve crumbles. Arkeley leads Caxton to a recently excavated tomb in Gettysburg.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible