Y : The Last Man Volume 1 (Unmanned) by…

Y : The Last Man Volume 1 (Unmanned) (edition 2004)

by Brian K. Vaughan

Member:selfnoise
Title:Y : The Last Man Volume 1 (Unmanned)
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Info:New York, N.Y.: DC Comics, c2003-
Tags:graphic novel, sf, post-apocalyptic, read 2005

Y: The Last Man Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan

The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (stephmo)
    stephmo: If you enjoy the sudden "end of the world as we know it" aspect of Y, The Walking Dead is another great series. This time, a virus leaves the majority of the world as zombies. This series concentrates on the basic aspects of survival.
    World War Z by Max Brooks (MyriadBooks)
    Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 1 by Fumi Yoshinaga (MyriadBooks)
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (Percevan)
    A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer (MyriadBooks)

English (97)  Dutch (1)  All languages (98)
(Alas poor) escape artist Yorick and his foster monkey, Ampersand, emerge from his apartment to discover that some mysterious force has messily slain all other carriers of the Y chromosome. Road trip ensues with many more issues to come... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Well this was definitely an unhurried beginning to this series. Points go to the Y: The Last Man for having an intriguing premise. Without warning, all the males of the world are dead. Animal and man alike. The cause is unknown, the world is in turmoil, and revolution is on the horizon. Sounds fascinating, no? I definitely thought so. Especially because, as I'm sure you can surmise from the title, there is one man left. Yorick, our main character, finds himself in one hell of a predicament.

With all of that promising information, I really expected this series to immediately take off. The truth is, it really doesn't. This whole first volume read rather slowly. While I liked Yorick, and was fascinated by a world run by women, the story line seemed to be at a stand still. Yorick was consumed by his need to find his girlfriend, his mother only cared about keeping him safe, and the Amazons (a rebel group) were only barely introduced. Slow burn, indeed.

The fact is, this series does hold a lot of promise. I know I'll keep reading. The illustrations aren't anything to write home about, but I love Brian K. Vaughan's writing. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and give the second volume a try. After all, the stage has been set. That means there's only good things coming around the bend, right? ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Since I have never read a graphic novel in my life, this recommendation came from my husband. He has quite a few in his library, so he thought this one would be good for me.

It was.....interesting. Kudos for a book with pictures - really brought the story to life. Personally, it would be nice to see more adult books like this. Ha ha.

The story was about the last man on earth. One day, all the males of not just humans, but of all species, just died. At least that is what everyone thought. Come to find out there was one man left and one male monkey. The job of some of the women is to keep him alive. And in the end - they succeed.

Since I am pretty sure that 95% of my readers of this blog will not be picking up this - or any other - graphic novel, I will leave the review at that.

It was an interesting enough story, but it does not make me want to read more like it. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Un-putdown-able. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
There's a monkey named Ampersand. There's a bad-ass secret agent who also knits. There are lots of other totally bad-ass women and lots of feminist themes. I am really digging this series so far and I can't wait to read more. I gave 4 stars but I may revise it to 5 once I get a better idea of where the series is going. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
The ethics of cutting-edge science are at the forefront of the story as well, as will be, I imagine, a conflict between the emotional and ecological sides of sexuality.

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Something's wrong!
Volume 1 Softcover, Unmanned, is a separate work from the deluxe Book 1 hardcover edition. Book 1 contains the chapters found in Volume 1 and Volume 2 of the softcover editions.

In the summer of 2002, a plague of unknown origin destroyed every last sperm, fetus, and fully developed mammal with a Y chromosome-with the apparent exception of one young man and his male pet. This "gendercide" instantaneously exterminated 48% of the global population, or approximately 2.9 billion men. Now, aided by the mysterious Agent 355, the last human male Yorick Brown must contend with dangerous extremists, a hoped-for reunion with a girlfriend on the other side of the globe, and the search for exactly why he's the only man to survive.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,388,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible