Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian…

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (edition 2003)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra (Illustrator)

Member:Echobrain
Title:Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Pia Guerra (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2003), Edition: aFirst Edition First Printing, Paperback, 128 pages

Y: The Last Man Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan

The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (stephmo)
    stephmo: If you enjoy the sudden "end of the world as we know it" aspect of Y, The Walking Dead is another great series. This time, a virus leaves the majority of the world as zombies. This series concentrates on the basic aspects of survival.
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (MyriadBooks)
    Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 1 by Fumi Yoshinaga (MyriadBooks)
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (Percevan)
    A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer (MyriadBooks)

English (81)  Dutch (1)  All languages (82)
I was introduced to this feminist gem by my boyfriend. What would the world be like if all but one man died of a mysterious plague? I was intrigued by the subtle allusions to all sorts of popular media and the strong feminist undertone that remains constant from the first frame on. Can't wait to read the rest of the volumes! ( )
  amlohf | Jan 18, 2016 |
Interesting concept and fun characters make for breezy dystopian fun. The hero Yorick reminded me a bit of Peter Parker with his light humor amid some pretty dark stuff (all the other men are dead!)

I'm intrigued enough to read more! ( )
  wethewatched | Jan 7, 2016 |
What an interesting concept; the main question of, "What if there were no more men," just brings up so many more! Will women be able to survive? Will they attempt to rebuild the world as it was? Will they improve it? Make it worse? Get along? Act like men? In my opinion, it's an incredibly interesting thought experiment. Can't wait to read the next installment! ( )
  Amy_Jesionowski | Nov 3, 2015 |
I've been wanting to read this comic for a long time, but never really had the chance until a few weeks ago when I found almost the entire collection of volumes at the thrift store. I started reading them tonight and sadly it wasn't not as good as I was expecting. It was actually kind of boring and I don't really like Yorick's character. Hopefully it gets better in later volumes ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Jun 30, 2015 |
Recommended for people who like post-apocalyptic TV shows and/or books but haven’t tried a graphic novel. Off to an intriguing start as all the men and boys and male animals have died—simultaneously—and women struggle to establish order with the Secretary of Agriculture as president and a bunch of Republican widows storming the Capitol with guns trying to take their husbands’ seats. ( )
  jholcomb | May 23, 2015 |
The ethics of cutting-edge science are at the forefront of the story as well, as will be, I imagine, a conflict between the emotional and ecological sides of sexuality.

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Something's wrong!
Volume 1 Softcover, Unmanned, is a separate work from the deluxe Book 1 hardcover edition. Book 1 contains the chapters found in Volume 1 and Volume 2 of the softcover editions.

In the summer of 2002, a plague of unknown origin destroyed every last sperm, fetus, and fully developed mammal with a Y chromosome-with the apparent exception of one young man and his male pet. This "gendercide" instantaneously exterminated 48% of the global population, or approximately 2.9 billion men. Now, aided by the mysterious Agent 355, the last human male Yorick Brown must contend with dangerous extremists, a hoped-for reunion with a girlfriend on the other side of the globe, and the search for exactly why he's the only man to survive.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,012,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible