Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian…

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (edition 2003)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra (Illustrator)

Member:Echobrain
Title:Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Pia Guerra (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2003), Edition: aFirst Edition First Printing, Paperback, 128 pages

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan

adult (13) adventure (14) apocalypse (43) Brian K. Vaughan (21) comic (83) comic book (24) comic books (26) comics (261) DC (18) dystopia (57) dystopian (15) feminism (18) fiction (157) gender (36) goodreads (14) graphic (16) graphic novel (536) last man (14) library (18) plague (25) post-apocalypse (15) post-apocalyptic (79) read (61) science fiction (203) series (53) sf (22) speculative fiction (15) to-read (36) Vertigo (73) Y: The Last Man (55)
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (stephmo)
    stephmo: If you enjoy the sudden "end of the world as we know it" aspect of Y, The Walking Dead is another great series. This time, a virus leaves the majority of the world as zombies. This series concentrates on the basic aspects of survival.
    World War Z by Max Brooks (MyriadBooks)
    Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 1 by Fumi Yoshinaga (MyriadBooks)
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (Percevan)
    A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer (MyriadBooks)

English (68)  Dutch (1)  All languages (69)
I originally read this in the form of individual comic books as they came out, back in the day. I had access to them through someone I knew who purchased each issue as it was published, but I didn't get through the entire series, which is now available as a ten volume compilation in graphic novel format. This is the first volume, and the story is even better than I remember it. Far from being fodder for man-hating lesbians (or bisexuals, such as myself), the creators truly attempt to realistically imagine what it would be like for the last man on Earth. The characters are dynamic, the dialogue is interesting, the plot is complex, and who doesn't like a protagonist with a pet monkey named Ampersand? ( )
All the men are dead.

Yorick Brown remains after a mysterious virus eliminates every last thing with a Y chromosome. While he’s expected to do his part in figuring out why he survived, he’s mainly concerned with finding his would-be fiancé in the outback of Australia.

This would be my first experience in reading a graphic novel where the main character isn’t flying/swinging/driving around in spandex. For my first foray into the non-superhero genre, I probably couldn’t have chosen a better series. Not only does it hold a pretty solid spot on most top graphic novel lists, it comes highly recommended by a lot of trusted friends.

It’s interesting to see exactly what would happen if the world were suddenly devoid of men. I mean, we are pretty important, right ladies? I kid, I kid. I was actually shocked with how quickly the world was turned upside down. I almost thought that the author was basically saying that women wouldn’t even know what to do, then quickly remembered the sheer amount of work it would take in just disposing of the roughly 2.8 billion bodies.

There's lots going on in this opener but it never feels cluttered. We’re following Yorick, we're following the slowly re-established US government, we're following a cult of extremist females named The Amazons and the leader of an Israeli militant group. There's enough here to keep you interested. When I tossed down the first book, I immediately wanted to pick up the next. I can’t wait to get my hands on it. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Yorick is presumably the last remaining man on Earth after a mysterious plague wipes out every mammal with a Y chromosome.

I don't read a lot of comic books, but I picked this up as a bargain book from Amazon due to my interest in apocalyptic fiction. This was an entertaining, quick read, but ultimately not a very compelling one. It's difficult for me, as a woman, to read about a world populated solely by women as written by a man. Many things about it don't ring true. I'm not sure I believe in the Amazons, a cult of man-haters who go around destroying everything that's male-related. You'd think, in the apocalypse, and with no men left, they'd find better things to do. I was unconvinced about the overzealous Zionists, as well. I did enjoy the political aspects, the questions about succession and how to carry on with government after such a monumental upheaval, and I wish there had been more. But there was also a lot of bumbling around with poor Yorick and his monkey on the road looking for his girlfriend, who I'm sure was about to break up with him when all of this went down. All in all, this read like a comic book, which it was. I would probably only continue with the series if I could get it at a bargain price, as it was a zippy, entertaining read, but I probably won't be seeking out the next few issues.

Read due to my interest in apocalyptic fiction (2014). ( )
1 vote sturlington | Jan 11, 2014 |
The ethics of cutting-edge science are at the forefront of the story as well, as will be, I imagine, a conflict between the emotional and ecological sides of sexuality.

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Something's wrong!
Volume 1 Softcover, Unmanned, is a separate work from the deluxe Book 1 hardcover edition. Book 1 contains the chapters found in Volume 1 and Volume 2 of the softcover editions.

In the summer of 2002, a plague of unknown origin destroyed every last sperm, fetus, and fully developed mammal with a Y chromosome-with the apparent exception of one young man and his male pet. This "gendercide" instantaneously exterminated 48% of the global population, or approximately 2.9 billion men. Now, aided by the mysterious Agent 355, the last human male Yorick Brown must contend with dangerous extremists, a hoped-for reunion with a girlfriend on the other side of the globe, and the search for exactly why he's the only man to survive.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,572,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible