Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian…

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (edition 2003)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra (Illustrator)

Member:TequilaReader
Title:Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Pia Guerra (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2003), Edition: aFirst Edition First Printing, Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:adventure, apocalypse, comic book, dystopia, feminism, fiction, graphic novel, plague, post-apocalyptic, science fiction, speculative fiction

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan

The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (stephmo)
    stephmo: If you enjoy the sudden "end of the world as we know it" aspect of Y, The Walking Dead is another great series. This time, a virus leaves the majority of the world as zombies. This series concentrates on the basic aspects of survival.
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (MyriadBooks)
    Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 1 by Fumi Yoshinaga (MyriadBooks)
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (Percevan)
    A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer (MyriadBooks)

English (71)  Dutch (1)  All languages (72)
Caught my eye, but honestly, I definitely will have to read more before I decide how much I like this series. The fact that I am interested in reading the second one is a good sign though! :) ( )
  Czarmoriarty | Jul 21, 2014 |
Such an awesome graphic novel! Cool story, great pictures. Everything is perfect. Cannot wait to start the second one. ( )
  CareBear36 | Jun 10, 2014 |
An amazing concept complimented by the uncluttered and visually pleasant cartooning style. ( )
  IsotropicJoseph | Apr 28, 2014 |
I originally read this in the form of individual comic books as they came out, back in the day. I had access to them through someone I knew who purchased each issue as it was published, but I didn't get through the entire series, which is now available as a ten volume compilation in graphic novel format. This is the first volume, and the story is even better than I remember it. Far from being fodder for man-hating lesbians (or bisexuals, such as myself), the creators truly attempt to realistically imagine what it would be like for the last man on Earth. The characters are dynamic, the dialogue is interesting, the plot is complex, and who doesn't like a protagonist with a pet monkey named Ampersand? ( )
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
The ethics of cutting-edge science are at the forefront of the story as well, as will be, I imagine, a conflict between the emotional and ecological sides of sexuality.

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Something's wrong!
Volume 1 Softcover, Unmanned, is a separate work from the deluxe Book 1 hardcover edition. Book 1 contains the chapters found in Volume 1 and Volume 2 of the softcover editions.

In the summer of 2002, a plague of unknown origin destroyed every last sperm, fetus, and fully developed mammal with a Y chromosome-with the apparent exception of one young man and his male pet. This "gendercide" instantaneously exterminated 48% of the global population, or approximately 2.9 billion men. Now, aided by the mysterious Agent 355, the last human male Yorick Brown must contend with dangerous extremists, a hoped-for reunion with a girlfriend on the other side of the globe, and the search for exactly why he's the only man to survive.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,309,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible