Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy

Yes, My Darling Daughter

by Margaret Leroy

This book started out well but just didn't deliver. The mother, Grace, does not deal well with a 4-year-old daughter, Sylvie, who seems to have psychic connections to a prior life. I was irritated with the character Sylvie, who seemed far too mature for her age and was obnoxious to boot, and with Grace, who tiptoed around the kid and never wanted to upset the applecart, so to speak, to try and figure out the situation. Although there was a nice sense of creepiness throughout, the ending was very unsatisfying. Still, I generally liked the way the author wrote and will check out her other books. ( )
1 vote flourgirl49 | May 21, 2018 |
The premise of this novel is excellent, and had the potential to explore the relationship between mother and child. I enjoyed reading the book, especially the beginning, as the scenes that showed how Grace's was bravely trying to keep things together for Sylvie. She's a wonderfully sympathetic character, even though Sylvie sometimes seem too mature for her age. It's a pity the book lagged a bit at the end, and the ending of the mystery didn't feel satisfying to me.

If you want to read a full review (including a brief summary), please go to http://www.intothebook.net/2011/09/yes-my-darling-daughter-margaret-leroy.html ( )
  EustaciaTan | Oct 11, 2011 |
When I started this book, I didn't expect it to be a Stephen King-type story, but that's where it went. I have nothing against King, who is a fine writer; it's just that I read so many of his novels in the 1980s that I burned out on them. In the case of Yes, My Darling Daughter, Leroy gives us a single mom with a creepy kid. Little Sylvie goes into screaming fits if touched by water, she insists on calling her mother Grace, and she has a weird attachment to a dollhouse and a photo of an Irish coastal town ("That's where I lived, Grace"). So you can see where this is going--enough said about the plot and the mystery about to be unravelled.

Although I felt compelled to keep reading, at the same time I was irritated with myself for doing so (when I could have been reading something more substantial and enjoyable). I really disliked the character of Grace, who had a habit of melting and running for her "tightest jeans" and "highest heels" every time she saw a wealthy older man. (Sylvie's father was an older married man and father, and Grace can't seem to let go of her fantasies of being with him.) She's one of those women who never seems to learn from her experiences, and she is quite immature. She also drags the story out by repeatedly cutting off any questioning of Sylvie just when it seems to be heading towards some answers. For the last 100 pages, I often found myself wanting to scream, "For God's sake, just push a little and get it over with!"

I also found the writing a bit tedious, with some quirks. For example, Leroy seems to have discovered the word "judder"--she uses it ad nauseum. There's also a lot of repetition where an editor might have helped (e.g., "wet raincoat" used unnecessarily in two consecutive sentences).

In short, I think I've outgrown this genre. The book might appeal to someone who still enjoys the creepy kid/hints of past lives kind of thing. I'm giving it a little higher rating than it probably deserves, mainly because it did keep me reading--if frustrated--to the end. ( )
  Cariola | Jun 16, 2011 |
Really enjoyed this book it was easy to read although at times would randomly veer away in all sorts of directions..it didnt spoil the storyline would definitely recommend. ( )
  ilurvebooks | Dec 9, 2010 |
Strange. ( )
  Jaie22 | Dec 3, 2010 |
Mother, may I go out to swim?

Yes, my darling daughter:

Hang your clothes on a hickory limb
and don't go near the water.
It's pleasant here in Karen's kitchen, talking about our children, sipping chardonnay, with before us on the wide oak table the wreck of the children's tea.
"I used to try and work it out," I tell him. "What happened at the horizon. And I couldn't get my mind round it. That there's this edge, this limit to your sight, but if you got there, there wouldn't be an ending, there'd just be still more sea... There are places where your mind stops."
It's the living we should fear.

Every once in a blue moon, a masterful writer dives into gothic waters and emerges with a novel thatlike Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca, Minette Walters’s The Breaker, and Donna Tartt’s The Little Friend—simultaneously celebrates and transcends the tradition. Welcome Margaret Leroy to the clan.

What’s the matter with Sylvie?

Such a pretty girl. Four years old; well loved by her young mother, Grace. But there’s something . . . “off ” about the child. Her deathly fear of water; her night terrors; most of all, her fixation with a photo of an Irish seaside town called Coldharbour.

“Sylvie, tell me about your picture. Why’s it so special, sweetheart?” My heart is racing, but I try to make my voice quite calm.

“That’s my seaside, Grace.” Very matter-of-fact, as though this should be obvious. “I lived there, Grace. Before.”

Grace doesn’t know what to do with this revelation—she’s barely scraping by as it is. A single mother with no family, Grace works full-time at a London flower shop to support herself and Sylvie. Overwhelmed by her inability to help her daughter, she turns to Adam Winters, a dashing psychology professor with some unusual theories about what might be troubling the child. Together, they travel to seemingly idyllic Coldharbour, hoping to understand Sylvie’s mysterious connection to the place. Impossible as it may seem, Grace has to accept that her daughter may be remembering a past life. And not only that: the danger bedeviling Sylvie from her past life is still very much a threat to her in this one.

Margaret Leroy has been celebrated for writing “like a dream,” and her previous novels have been praised for their “hypnotic prose” and “sensuously ethereal, subtly electric drama.” Now, in Yes, My Darling Daughter, Leroy offers a novel both haunted and haunting—a wonderfully original, deliciously suspenseful story that enthralls from the first page to the very last.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:02 -0400)

A young mother is astounded by her four-year-old's increasingly bizarre behavior, which is marked by night terrors, a deathly fear of water, and a fixation with a photograph of an Irish seaside town where she claims she used to live.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Margaret Leroy's book Yes, My Darling Daughter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,518,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible