The Bad Times of Irma Baumlein by Carol…

The Bad Times of Irma Baumlein

by Carol Ryrie Brink

944193,375 (4)None

Spare & simple compared to many similar children's novels. One main problem, few family members, no issues at school, just Irma and her conscience and the doll.

The story wasn't as enjoyable, to me, as Brink's other contemporary works, for instance [b:Family Grandstand|1657050|Family Grandstand|Carol Ryrie Brink|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348752917s/1657050.jpg|1651731]. But I do love [a:Trina Schart Hyman|6603|Trina Schart Hyman|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/nophoto-F-50x66-2a9d702c2a0f483c9f7dd119cc28a9a7.jpg]'s art. While she is best known for her stunning illustrations for fantasy, eg [b:Saint George and the Dragon|10118|Saint George and the Dragon|Margaret Hodges|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344271198s/10118.jpg|2042811], she also captures modern children and their lives with line drawings both vivid and graceful. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Thrift SCORE! Old library book to add to my collection of juvenile fiction illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman.

The story held up quite nicely. Morality tale aside (lies and their consequences), I was struck by Irma's complete humility. That part got right by me when I was a child. Irma is no spoiled Violet Beauregard despite her family's status as department store owners. No, Irma cares only that she misses her mom, her old life back home, and she wishes she had friends.

It never occurs to Irma to throw a tantrum and demand the store give her the mannequin. Desperate, she nabs it when she realizes she has an opportunity. Then she spends the rest of the book feeling bad about lying.

Thought it was really charming. Extra points for the interior illustration, which is half the fun of collecting juvenalia. ( )
  KaterinaBead | Nov 10, 2014 |
Simplistic yet sympathetic morality tale about the consequences of lying and the freedom to be found in truth. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I read this at about 9 years old, and it stuck with me. With a little research I was able to track it down and read it again. At the time, I could be described as a bit of a troubled child, perhaps that's why the book appealed to me originally. Though, reading that this was Irma's first lie, at age, I remember thinking "amateur!", or the nine-year-old equivalent.

Lonely Irma is surprised to find herself telling a schoolmate and potential new friend that she has the biggest doll in the world. Word gets around the class, increasing interest in Irma. She is able to keep things down a bit until the the school's Harvest Home Festival- an event designed to raise money for library books, and the class that raises the most money get's to keep the school's famous painting (the only thing left after a fire) in their room for the year. Irma's class thinks her biggest doll in the world would be perfect to raise the most money and they beg her to exhibit it at the fair! What is Irma going to do?
She goes to the department store (owned by her family) to see if they have a doll fitting the description of her lie. None are even close to being big enough! On her way out she sees a mannequin- one she'd spotted on the way in- that is not only tall enough, but fit's the description in every other way! Impulsively, she grabs the mannequin and drags it home with her.
This book was appealing to me as a young lonely troublemaker- perhaps the ending is nothing like how things would have turned out in my life, or the real world- but the book is a warm story of a lonely troubled girl learning a lesson, and perhaps making some friends in the process. ( )
  skraftdesigns | Nov 8, 2011 |

Carol Ryrie Brinkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hyman, Trina SchartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irma's Big Lie (Original title: The Bad Times of Irma Baumlein)

Irma's lie about having the biggest doll in the world leads her into deeper and deeper trouble.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,457,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible