Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews

Murder with Peacocks (edition 2000)

by Donna Andrews

Collections:Enjoyed and donated, Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, mystery

Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews

Recently added byjkgrage, AriadneOliver, CedsWife, geopat, lisseut, AliceAnna, Alkmini_A, enemyanniemae, private library

English (36)  German (1)  All languages (37)
For cozy mystery fans who enjoy a little humor sprinkled in, Donna Andrews is the answer. This first in series is loads of fun. The mystery is good. The action going on in conjunction with the mystery is even better. (there were times that I laughed out loud with the mental picture of the scene unfolding) The characters are wonderful and their eccentricities are positively endearing. (I'm from the South and a lot of the characters were familiar to me... but I'd bet every reader knows a few of them regardless of geography) The fun kept going until the very end, when the knew-it-was-going-to-happen conclusion finally happened.

I loved it and so did my reading group. Light fun reading. Recommended. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Oct 5, 2014 |
Cozy mystery with annoying control-junkie heroine whose ego is tied up in micro-managing everyone else's business. For the first half of the book, I wanted to send the heroine to a damn therapist. The girl who can't say no, resents all the work she takes on, and feels smugly superior to everyone she chooses to manage. Yeah, her mom, bro & best friend are all getting married in the same month and she agrees to be amateur wedding planner for all of them. And then spends the first half of the book showing how superior she is to everyone in her hometown. Makes ya just want to smack the silly cow. And the first person narration doesn't help... It's all I, I, I ...
The quirky friends & relatives redeem the story. And the mystery is a good one. As far as SouthernLit goes, it's not bad. It was the author's first book so I'm willing to cut her a break. I am going to try her next book in the series and hope the heroine is less annoying. ( )
  PitcherBooks | May 12, 2014 |
This murder series is set on the coast of Virginia, and follows the cozy mystery format. The series centers on Meg Langslow, a blacksmith artist, who visits her family hometown for the summer to plan and coordinate three weddings. The whole town seems to be related to Meg's family and the various characters provide much comic release. Meg's father is a retired doctor who loves gardening and his ex-wife. Meg's mother prepares for her wedding to a recent widower, and this will be the final of the three summer weddings. Not to spoil the story, the weddings do not go smoothly. After just reading the latest Elizabeth George, this novel provided laughter and very speedy reading, but no character vividly remains etched in my memory. ( )
  delphimo | Apr 20, 2014 |
With a hard working but attitude blessed heroine, loads of mostly lovable but idiosyncratic relatives in a small town setting, three back-to-back weddings, witty repartee, and a slowly building romance, Murder With Peacocks is tons of fun--and as an added bonus there are plenty of sequels. Meg Langslow, a decorative blacksmith, is taking the summer off to return to her hometown and shoulder maid of honor duties for all three of the weddings, but misdeeds and murder keep getting in her way. The ingredients add up to a sort of modern day, thoroughly enjoyable Jane Austen meets P. G. Wodehouse mystery. I have high hopes for the rest of this bird-titled series. ( )
  Jaylia3 | Jun 18, 2013 |
The mystery discussion group I sometimes attend at the library was discussing humorous mysteries, and since I don't care for Janet Evanovich's books, this was the suggested author. I enjoyed this tale of a single woman who comes home to help with an over-the-top wedding, solves a murder, and finds romance. I'll probably read some more of the series now and again. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 16, 2013 |
I had become so used to hysterical dawn phone calls that I only muttered one halfhearted oath before answering.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312970633, Mass Market Paperback)

Three Weddings...And a Murder

So far Meg Langslow's summer is not going swimmingly. Down in her small Virginia hometown, she's maid of honor at the nuptuals of three loved ones--each of whom has dumped the planning in her capable hands. One bride is set on including a Native American herbal purification ceremony, while another wants live peacocks on the law. Only help from the town's drop-dead gorgeous hunk, disappointingly rumored to be gay, keeps Meg afloat in a sea of dotty relatives and outrageous neighbors.

And, in whirl of summer parties and picnics, Souther hospitality is strained to the limit by an offenseive newcomer who hints at skeletons in the guests' closets. But it seems this lady has offended one too many when she's found dead in suspicious circumstances, followed by a string of accidents--some fatal. Soon, level-headed Meg's to-do list extends from flower arragements and bridal registries to catching a killer--before the next catered event is her own funeral...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:32 -0400)

While trying to manage being the maid of honor in three weddings, Meg Langslow finds herself in the midst of a mystery when her former sister-in-law's soon-to-be stepfather is found dead.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,036,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible