Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews

Murder with Peacocks (edition 2000)

by Donna Andrews

Collections:Enjoyed and donated, Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, mystery

Murder With Peacocks by Donna Andrews

English (43)  German (1)  All languages (44)
A breezy, quick read with mystery and romance. Murder and mayhem plague a very small town, interferring with 3 wedding plans and dashing dreams of romance for the wedding planner. Suspects seem to abound, with a couple of red herrings, but the heroine solves the crime and saves the day. Good beach read, or a break between heavier reads! I would read more by this author for the smile factor. ( )
  CathyWoolbright | Apr 20, 2016 |
ZERO stars.
Absolutely AWFUL. I had read some promising reviews of some of the newer books in this series, but I like to start at the beginning. No plot. Little character development. Inconsistent behavior. And, by the way, WHERE is the mystery? Yes, we have a couple of dead bodies, but no evidence of "working the case" until the explanation at the end. Huh?
  BookConcierge | Feb 12, 2016 |
Meg Langlsow is a blacksmith who is taking the summer off to be the maid of honour at three weddings in her hometown. During her summer there, while hard at work trying to please three demanding brides and attracted to Michael who is rumoured to be gay, the sister-in-law of her mother's fiance is found dead on the riverbank below the yards on their street. Meg assists her dad, a retired MD, in trying to prove that a. this was no accident and b. how it might have been done. A number of apparently freaky accidents occur which Meg is convinced were attempts on her dad's life. As the summer progresses and the weddings get closer, the plot thickens.
This is a cozy mystery, and I'm giving it two and a half stars because I liked it just enough to keep going and find out what happened but wasn't really laughing much at the humour, and it is supposed to be funny. Apparently the next book is funnier, so I may give that a go once I get one or more of my TBR books done, but at this point I don't plan to read the entire series. I also don't understand why mysteries have to let you figure out "whodunnit" so early, although this one did have a bit of a twist at one point (but I was still correct.) ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Meg laslow returns to her hometown to help organize three weddings in her family. Her mothers fiancee's former sister in law is murdered and Meg becomes a target of the murderer. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
In this madcap mystery, Meg Langslow is just trying to get through the summer, but she finds herself overwhelmed with responsibility as the maid of honor in three weddings. A rather unlikable guest turns up dead, and Meg's father - a doctor - is certain it's foul play. When he starts investigating, other mysterious occurrences begin. Who would have killed Jane Gardner? And more importantly, can Meg get her mother's, brother's and best friend's weddings off without a hitch?

The mystery takes a backseat to humor, eccentric characters, and Meg's attempts to placate three brides. It was a funny, fast read and a series I can keep in mind when I'm in the mood for something light. Meg's family and friends are over-the-top but also ring true (kind of in the way Mrs. Bennet does), especially in their misguided tries to get her together with Mr. Right. ( )
  bell7 | Jan 6, 2016 |
I had become so used to hysterical dawn phone calls that I only muttered one halfhearted oath before answering.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312970633, Mass Market Paperback)

Three Weddings...And a Murder

So far Meg Langslow's summer is not going swimmingly. Down in her small Virginia hometown, she's maid of honor at the nuptuals of three loved ones--each of whom has dumped the planning in her capable hands. One bride is set on including a Native American herbal purification ceremony, while another wants live peacocks on the law. Only help from the town's drop-dead gorgeous hunk, disappointingly rumored to be gay, keeps Meg afloat in a sea of dotty relatives and outrageous neighbors.

And, in whirl of summer parties and picnics, Souther hospitality is strained to the limit by an offenseive newcomer who hints at skeletons in the guests' closets. But it seems this lady has offended one too many when she's found dead in suspicious circumstances, followed by a string of accidents--some fatal. Soon, level-headed Meg's to-do list extends from flower arragements and bridal registries to catching a killer--before the next catered event is her own funeral...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:31 -0400)

While trying to manage being the maid of honor in three weddings, Meg Langslow finds herself in the midst of a mystery when her former sister-in-law's soon-to-be stepfather is found dead.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,366,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible