One Thousand White Women: The Journals of…

One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Jim Fergus

Member:chrystal
Title:One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
Authors:Jim Fergus
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (1999), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Illumination
Rating:***

One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus (1998)

Really really interesting historical fiction based upon 1875 treaty between US Grant & Little Wolf, leader of the Cheyenne in which the US would give 1000 (white) women to the native americans, who would then marry them & procreate, bringing about eventual harmony. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Mar 27, 2017 |
One Thousand White Women is the story of May Dodd, a Chicago socialite from the 1800s, who signs on to the Federal government plan of Brides for Indians as a means to escape an insane asylum where her family has placed her because she had fallen in love with a man below her station. Through her journals May describes her life in the asylum and later her new life as a prairie bride of Chief Little Wolf of the Cheyennes. Along her journey she tells of her fellow brides who come from all walks of life. In return for their marriage to a Cheyenne and subsequent bearing of a mixed race baby or two, the government hopes to assimilate the Cheyennes into the white man’s culture. Along the way May meets an Army Captain and they fall in love but part, knowing that their love could never be. May continues on her journey, assimilating into the life of the Cheyennes as the third wife of Chief Little Wolf, all the while keeping a set of notebooks that become her journals.

The descriptions of life on the prairie are both breathtaking and brutal. But through it all May begins to question which side is the real savage – Native American or white Christian. A detailed and fast booking book, it will appear to the reader that the journals they are reading are true although the author states up front that everything contained in the book is fiction based on the true fact that such a Brides for Indians program was proposed but never acted upon.

I loved the different ‘brides’ who, although stereotypical, give much needed diversity to the story. And although we see Chief Little Wolf as a proud and courageous warrior we soon learn that he is so much more. Finely researched, cleverly written, and engrossing the reader will find this story difficult to put down. ( )
  AuthorMarion | Feb 6, 2017 |
At a peace conference in 1854, a Cheyenne chief asked authorities in the U.S. Army for a gift of one thousand women, to be brides for the warriors of his tribe.... The Cheyenne's proposal met with outrage and the peace conference fell apart. In real life, it never happened. But what if it did go through? In an alternative history, this novel thoroughly explores that idea.

May Dodd is from a family of high society, so her liaison with a man of lower social status is deemed highly inappropriate.... and she is forcibly consigned to an insane asylum. It is misery there- but to her surprise one day she is given a chance at freedom: to volunteer in the "social experiment" of becoming a wife in the Cheyenne tribe. ... the company May keeps on the train West is full of interesting, colorful characters from all walks of life. Her story unfolds alongside that of a dozen other women she keeps in close contact with. I prefer a more personal narrative that focuses on one person- this one although written in style like a series of journal entries and letters (unsent), tells the story of so many women, which makes it feel less intimate. It is really interesting to see how the various characters struggled to adjust to their new life- some of them who really were intent on converting the Cheyenne people to christianity or teaching them to be more like the europeans, failed bitterly and were dissatisfied with their situation. Others like May Dodd who came with a more open mind and were willing to learn from their new companions became content with their new lives. May finds that the tribal people are more kind and forgiving in some ways than the whites who despise them, but in other ways they act very cruel... Given the reason why the women went to live there, there is an awful lot of preoccupation with sex- But the voice of the main character, telling everything in her journal, sounds very true to its time, so she describes everything with a certain amount of discretion. It never gets terribly distasteful. Just tiresome. There was plenty of material about the toil of everyday life, new skills they had to learn, efforts to find game, friction with enemy tribes and white soldiers, etc. But you can never really forget what the main subject matter is.... Overall, a very interesting story.

more at the Dogear Diary ( )
  jeane | Feb 5, 2017 |
All historical fiction writers depend on their readers’ willingness to suspend disbelief. Most readers will tolerate one or two difficult-to-accept situations or coincidental happenings if the writing is good, the characters are well-crafted, and the story engages their emotions. They will accept a lot if the story provides accurate information about the people and culture of the narrated time period. With “One Thousand Women” I was not able to be that charitable.

The writing is competent. The characters are imaginatively conceived. The author integrates informational content about Cheyenne culture in his narration. I have several quibbles about the narration, but my major objection is that the story too frequently strains believability.

Mr. Fergus took a huge risk in determining the concept of this novel. In his “Author’s Note” he states: "in 1854 at a peace conference at Fort Laramie, a prominent Northern Cheyenne chief requested of the U.S. Army authorities the gift of one thousand white women as brides for his young warriors. Because theirs is a matrilineal society in which all children born belong to their mother’s tribe, this seemed to the Cheyenne to be the perfect means of assimilation into the white man’s world—a terrifying new world that even as early as 1854, the Native Americans clearly recognized held no place for them. … the Cheyennes’ request was not well received, the Cheyennes went home, and, of course, the white women did not come. In this novel they do."

The author has the Cheyenne chief’s request occur in 1874. Chief Little Wolf offers one thousand horses for the one thousand white women “to teach us and our children the new life that must be lived when the buffalo are gone.” President Grant and his advisors see possible practical benefit in accepting Little Wolfe’s offer. Here might be a peaceful solution to “the still explosive situation on the Great Plains. … Besides placating the savages with this generous gift of brides, the administration believed that the ‘Noble American woman,’ working in concert with the church, might also exert a positive influence upon the Cheyennes—to educate and elevate them from barbarism to civilized life.” The consequent “Brides for Indians” program would “supplement an anticipated shortage of volunteers by recruiting women out of jails, penitentiaries, debtors’ prisons, and mental institutions—offering full pardons or unconditional release, as the case might be, to those who agreed to sign on for the program.” May Dodd, the novel’s protagonist, committed to a mental institution by her rich parents for living with a man of low economic and social station and for having given birth to two children, accepts the government’s offer. Her journals of her experiences are the novel’s content.

I could not suspend my disbelief that such an attempt to assimilate such disparate cultures could actually happen. I did let pass (but not by much) my skepticism that incarcerated women might be willing to become Indian wives in exchange for their release and that wealthy parents might be so cruel as to commit their wayward daughters to mental institutions to gain control of their infant grandchildren.

I plunged into the story hoping that the forthcoming story and the author’s narrative skill would overcome my imitial reservations. They did not.

The novel is 434 pages, too long I thought. It is told in segments. The wives do not meet their husbands until more than 100 pages are read. We must read first May Dodd’s angst about being incarcerated in the mental institution, her separation from her children, her indecision about how complicit her lover was in the relinquishment of her babies, her acquaintanceship with the other future Indian wives, and her budding love affair with Captain Bourke, assigned to command the detachment of soldiers assigned to deliver the women to Chief Little Wolf. I believe all of this could have been accomplished in half the space.

Certain passages appealed to me. I liked this subjective narration about May’s frustration of not knowing what her lover’s role was in her parents' custody-taking of his and her children.

God only knows what has become of you, Harry. Did they kill you or did they pay you? Did you die or did you sell us to the highest bidder? Should I hate you or should I mourn you? I can hardly bear to think of you, Harry, without knowing … now I can only dream of someday returning to Chicago, after my mission here is fulfilled, of coming home to be again with my children, of finding you and seeking the truth in your eyes.

I accepted the author’s need to spice up (add additional conflict to) the first 110 pages by creating a love affair between May and the principled Captain Bourke. Some of the narration, however, seemed florid, too sensuous.

Page 85 – I still stared at the horizon, but I could feel the Captain’s dark eyes on my face, the heat of his arm against mine. My breath came in shallow draughts as if I could not take sufficient air into my lungs. “It is late, Captain,” I managed to say. “Perhaps we should take our stroll another time.” Where our arms had touched and now parted it was like tearing my own flesh from the bone.

Page 110 – When John Bourke kissed me, I tasted the faint sweetness of whiskey on his lips, and felt his deep moral reluctance giving itself up to my more powerful need for him. I felt us both being swept away together, and I held tight, held on for dear life, as if only the contact of our bodies could fix me in this time and place, as if only when his flesh and mine became seamless, seared together as one, would I be truly anchored to this world, the only world I know. “Will you show me now, John,” I whispered into his mouth, “dear John, will you show me now,” I implored, “how a civilized man makes love?”

This one-time consummated love affair produces, improbably, May’s entirely white “Cheyenne” child. The author thereby places in the reader’s mind – in a counterfeit way, I believe -- additional concern about probable disastrous outcomes.

I did like how the white women and May were assimilated rather easily into Little Wolf’s tribe. Most of the natives were accepting and the white women were surprisingly adaptive. All the white women were expected to learn their gender-determined domestic tasks and to work as hard as the native women. Rather quickly, the white women developed an appreciation of the Cheyenne people. May makes this comment on the day of her marriage.

… there is a universality to poverty that transcends culture; just as in our own society, there are among the savages both rich and poor—those who are successful hunters and providers who live in well-appointed lodges with many hides and robes and have a good string of horses, and those who have little and depend on the largesse of their neighbors. And never have I seen a more generous, selfless people than these. I believe that those unfortunates who came to our lodge that night … were the families of men who had been killed in battle, or possibly the families of some of those poor wretches whom we had encountered at the forts—the drunk and beggars who had deserted their wives and children.

During the large middle section of the novel, the author must sustain the reader’s interest. He does this by inventing incidents – some credible, some, in my opinion, not so credible -- that characterize what we consider flaws of Native American culture. The Native American villain of the novel -- half-breed Jim Seminole -- buys whiskey from a trading post and, with destructive intent, distributes it to the men of the tribe. Violent, destructive actions result. Sometime afterward, the warrior element of the tribe raids a Crow village and brings back many horses. Later, retaliating, Crow warriors abduct many of the white women, who are subsequently rescued by their husbands. Lives are lost including a white women. Much later, a band of Cheyenne warriors attack a Crow village and return with ten cut-off hands of Crow babies, done ostensibly to celebrate the birth of May’s baby and to ensure that the Cheyenne tribe would dominate the Crow in the future.

Given what actual history tells us of the conflict between Native American tribes and the U.S. Government and Army in the 1870s, we know before we start reading that the white women’s habitation with the Cheyenne tribe would be brief in duration. The author uses the improbable relationship of May and Captain Bourke to inform us of that fact. Concerned about May’s peril, Bourke, who is a harsh critic of Indian ways, warns May through a trusted messenger that the government has rescinded the Brides for Indians program and that independent tribes like Little Wolf’s must locate on designated reservations or be militarily destroyed. Consequently, May must determine what to advise her honorable husband: remain strong and independent and fight injustice or be realistic, accept reservation habitation, and save many lives. The issue of believability again intrudes.

“One Thousand White Woman” has its good sections. I applaud the author for his research and his ambitious undertaking. Too many perceived implausibilities and event contrivances, however, limited my enjoyment of the novel. ( )
  HaroldTitus | Jan 23, 2017 |
One Thousand White Women is the perfect example of historical revisionism. Keeping that in mind while reading the book, Jim Fergus puts his interpretation of a set time in American history. Chronicling the novel through the journal of Mary Dodd's. Set in 1874 when the story states that the bureaucracy that is the United States Government sends pioneer women to the high plains of the Midwest to marry the Cheyenne Indians. The plan has been supposedly being hatched by the then President Ulysses S. Grant and his administration in the hopes to incorporate the Indians into the ways of the white culture. Through the theatrical words in Mary's journal the reader sets out on
the fictional journey of the women as they begin their new life on the great frontier with their new husbands. Author Jim Fergus has been given praise for taking a rare time in American history and beautifully putting a unique fictional twist on it. As a reader that finds historical figure a lot to be desired, I found myself forgetting that the subject was fiction and became entwined with the story. ( )
  JCGirl | Jan 2, 2017 |
Women will love her, that she is a woman

More worth than any man; men that she is
The rarest of all women.

- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, V.1
To Dillon
23 March 1875: Today is my birthday, and I have received the greatest gift of all - freedom!

One Thousand White Women begins with May Dodd's journey west into the unknown. A government program, in which woman are brought west as brides for the Cheyenne, is her vehicle. What follows is the story of May's adventures: her marriage to Little Wolf, chief of the Cheyenne nation, and her conflict of being caught between two worlds, loving two men, living two lives. Jim Fergus has so vividly depicted the American West that it is as if these diaries are a capsule in time.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312199430, Paperback)

One Thousand White Women is the story of May Dodd and a colorful assembly of pioneer women who, under the auspices of the U.S. government, travel to the western prairies in 1875 to intermarry among the Cheyenne Indians. The covert and controversial "Brides for Indians" program, launched by the administration of Ulysses S. Grant, is intended to help assimilate the Indians into the white man's world. Toward that end May and her friends embark upon the adventure of their lifetime. Jim Fergus has so vividly depicted the American West that it is as if these diaries are a capsule in time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

An Indian request in 1854 for 1,000 white brides to ensure peace is secretly approved by the U.S. government in this alternate-history novel. Their journey west is described by May Dodd, a high-society woman released from an asylum where she was incarcerated by her family for an affair.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,303,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible