The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy

The Teeth of the Tiger (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Tom Clancy

Title:The Teeth of the Tiger
Authors:Tom Clancy
Info:Michael Joseph Ltd (2003), Hardcover
Tags:Thriller, Jack Ryan

The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy (2003)

Recently added byHal-Cumbie, BabsW, cbussell, BeaufortBranch, private library, marinerlibrary, ingegerlo, marolyn

English (33)  Spanish (2)  All languages (35)
The Teeth of the Tiger

The Teeth of the Tiger, by my favourite author, Tom Clancy has brought me to a new place with his writing. For the first time, I found myself having to push through the pages of a Clancy novel, as opposed to not being able to put the book down.

I realize this novel represents more of an introduction to new characters and ‘organizations’, along with a further introduction to Jack Ryan’s son Jack Ryan Jr. The senior Mr. Ryan had become a literary ‘old friend’ to me over the decades, and I can’t help but feel that he’s being put out to pasture. But that’s just my opinion, and could emanate from the fact that he and I are about the same age.

The premise of Teeth of the Tiger is certainly different from the past offerings from Clancy. There are no submarine chases here, no bombers or bombs, although there is a lot of shooting – once. A lot of the techno-thriller aspect of the story has to do with banking. Yeah, I know; it’s pretty hard to get excited about that. There are the usual good guys and bad guys, but the conflict is taken down to a very personal level. Considering where the weapon of choice is applied, you could even say, as personal as it gets.

Okay, I’ll stop whining. I hate whiny reviews. You won’t find any ‘things don’t react well to bullets’ within these pages, BUT, and it is a big but, you do finish the novel prepped and ready to go for the next one which I am confident will be just as hard to put down as the previous ones.

I realize this novel was released over ten years ago, but it is still readily available and for those who are working their way through all of Clancy’s works (as I am), it is still a must have for their collection. This is my first review since Tom Clancy left us all too soon, and I am thankful to him for introducing the world to a writing style that has been copied by so many, including myself, but never equalled. Rest in peace Mr. Clancy. Your memory will forever be enshrined on bookshelves all over the world.

www.daniellittle.com ( )
  Sturgeon | Jan 19, 2016 |
The plot was extremely one-dimensional, the pace was agonizing and predictable, and lack of exciting conclusion--the last bad guy just got whacked and poof! The book ended. Perhaps, this book is an attempt to revive Jack Ryan in his son...Jack himself having aged out of spy work. Were it not for the condensed version, this book would have been agonizing and it just did not live up to Clancy standards. ( )
  buffalogr | Jun 28, 2015 |
I first discovered Tom Clancy's writing in high school, when a friend gave me his paperback copy of The Hunt for Red October to read. In spite of the fact that I damn near needed a spreadsheet to keep track of all the US ships and submarines, the USSR's ships and submarines, and all the sailors on them, I stuck it out and became absolutely absorbed in the book. It was a thrill ride, but that's about all it was for me.

I was one of those teenagers: relatively privileged, well-educated and oh my, opinionated. I knew how it should all work; all you had to do was ask me. Then at some point between high school and university, I picked up Patriot Games and it quite frankly changed the way I viewed the world. Clancy was able to let me into the heads of terrorists (Irish, in this case) and the government officials that chased them. He was able to show me through the power of prose, in a way I don't think any teacher or professor would have ever been able to do, that nothing is black and white. The motivations of people both good and bad are layered and complicated.

Suffice it to say that I became a fan; I devoured everything in the Jack Ryan series and a couple of his non-fiction books. Yes, I did – and for the most part still do – share his political leanings (to a point) but most of all for me? These books were my version of genre fantasy. The kind of fantasy where the genuinely good guys always triumph, the bad guys always receive swift and deadly justice and the politicians are left looking like the narcissistic asshats most of them are.

The realisation that these books are my version of fantasy came to me just recently, as I suddenly felt like re-reading The Teeth of the Tiger and found myself comparing it to Anne Bishop's Written in Red and Murder of Crows. Unorthodox comparison, yes, but both appealed to me for similar reasons.

Teeth of the Tiger is the ultimate fantasy; turning the tables on the terrorists and using their own tactics against them. What could you accomplish if incorruptible men had a license to hunt terrorists, unlimited funds and no government oversight? Fantasy, indeed.

I've read Teeth of the Tiger several times and truthfully, it's a 4 star rating from me because of my love of the characters and the series as a whole. This book feels like it's more about being a mouthpiece for Clancy's personal views than a good story. Yes, all of his books are mouthpieces, more or less, but this one is more soap box-y than most. Still a ripping good story, but I found myself skimming a lot of the internal dialogue and not a few sections of actual conversation between characters. If I'd been reading this for the first time, I'd probably give it more of a 3 star rating.

I forgot it ends not on a cliffhanger, exactly, but the reader is definitely left hanging to a degree, so now I'm re-reading Dead or Alive. ( )
  murderbydeath | Sep 20, 2014 |
Nice book on how the campus started. ( )
  davidh34 | Aug 17, 2014 |
I have very mixed feelings about this book. I am an unabashedly avid fan of the Jack Ryan novels--and have followed them very closely.

...but with that said, I think there may be a time when characters/world need to be left alone. Jack Ryan-esque novels may be at that place.

This book tried to capture all of the thrill and excitement of a Jack Ryan novel, but with one big exception: Jack Ryan is an aging, retired US President; he is no longer making decisions to save the world.

In fact, Jack never even entered the book. Instead, his son, Jack Ryan Jr., is entering the 'spook' world. (To which Jr. surmises his father and mother would not be happy about...)

I felt the characters were very forced and unnatural. Rather than revealing a character's nature through his actions, Clancy was very repetitive in his dialogue between his characters. Often times his characters would say the SAME, EXACT words he said only pages before.

This probably goes down as my biggest let down by Clancy, whether or not he feels the Ryan world should fade away or not, I doubt I'll read anymore.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
:People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -George Orwell "This is a war of the unknown warriors; but let all strive without failing in faith or in duty..." -Winston Churchill
To Chris and Charlie. Welcome aboard ...and, of course, Lady Alex, whose light burns as brightly as ever
David Greengold had been born in that most American of communities, Brooklyn, but at his Bar Mitzvah, something important had changed in his life.
Mensen slapen 's nachts alleen vredig in hun bed omdat ruwe mannen klaarstaan om voor hen geweld te plegen. (George Orwell). Dit is een oorlog van de onbekende krijgers, maar laten we allen streven zonder tekort te schieten in ons geloof of onze plicht. (Winston Churchill).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039915079X, Hardcover)

A man named Mohammed sits in a café in Vienna, about to propose a deal to a Colombian. Mohammed has a strong network of agents and sympathizers throughout Europe and the Middle East, and the Colombian has an equally strong drug network throughout America. What if they were to form an alliance, to combine all their assets and connections? The potential for profits would be enormous-and the potential for destruction unimaginable.

In the Brave New World of terrorism-where anybody with a spare AK-47, a knowledge of kitchen chemistry, or simply the will to die can become a player-the old rules no longer apply. No matter what new governmental organizations come into being, the only truly effective ones are those that are quick and agile, free of oversight and restrictions . . . and outside the system.

Way outside the system.

In a nondescript office building in suburban Maryland, the firm Hendley Associates does a profitable business in stocks, bonds, and international currencies, but its true mission is quite different: to identify and locate terrorist threats, and then deal with them, in whatever manner necessary. Established with the knowledge of President John Patrick Ryan, "the Campus" is always on the lookout for promising new talent, its recruiters scattered throughout the armed forces and government agencies-and three men are about to cross its radar.

The first is Dominic Caruso, a rookie FBI agent, barely a year out of Quantico, whose decisive actions resolve a particularly brutal kidnap/murder case. The second is Caruso's brother, Brian, a Marine captain just back from his first combat action in Afghanistan, and already a man to watch. And the third is their cousin . . . a young man named Jack Ryan, Jr.

Jack was raised on intrigue. As his father moved through the ranks of the CIA and then into the White House, Jack received a life course in the world and the way it operates from agents, statesmen, analysts, Secret Service men, and black ops specialists such as John Clark and Ding Chavez. He wants to put it all to work now-but when he knocks on the front door of "the Campus," he finds that nothing has prepared him for what he is about to encounter. For it is indeed a different world out there, and in here . . . and it is about to become far more dangerous.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:17 -0400)

When a terrorist leader and a drug warlord form a dangerous alliance, three new Hendley Associates agents--FBI agent Dominic Caruso, his Marine captain brother Brian, and their cousin, Jack Ryan, Jr.--encounter unexpected dangers.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,814,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible