The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy

The Teeth of the Tiger (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Tom Clancy

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:The Teeth of the Tiger
Authors:Tom Clancy
Info:Michael Joseph Ltd (2003), Hardcover
Rating:***
Tags:Thriller, Jack Ryan

The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy (2003)

English (31)  Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (33)
The plot was extremely one-dimensional, the pace was agonizing and predictable, and lack of exciting conclusion--the last bad guy just got whacked and poof! The book ended. Perhaps, this book is an attempt to revive Jack Ryan in his son...Jack himself having aged out of spy work. Were it not for the condensed version, this book would have been agonizing and it just did not live up to Clancy standards. ( )
  buffalogr | Jun 28, 2015 |
Nice book on how the campus started. ( )
  davidh34 | Aug 17, 2014 |
I have very mixed feelings about this book. I am an unabashedly avid fan of the Jack Ryan novels--and have followed them very closely.

...but with that said, I think there may be a time when characters/world need to be left alone. Jack Ryan-esque novels may be at that place.

This book tried to capture all of the thrill and excitement of a Jack Ryan novel, but with one big exception: Jack Ryan is an aging, retired US President; he is no longer making decisions to save the world.

In fact, Jack never even entered the book. Instead, his son, Jack Ryan Jr., is entering the 'spook' world. (To which Jr. surmises his father and mother would not be happy about...)

I felt the characters were very forced and unnatural. Rather than revealing a character's nature through his actions, Clancy was very repetitive in his dialogue between his characters. Often times his characters would say the SAME, EXACT words he said only pages before.

This probably goes down as my biggest let down by Clancy, whether or not he feels the Ryan world should fade away or not, I doubt I'll read anymore.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I didn't realise how much I would miss Jack Ryan Senior until he wasn't in the books anymore...

I fully appreciate that Clancy had to move into the more modern world of terrorism and also that old Jack, or Big Jack, was getting old, and it may have been time to replace him with the new generation which of course included his son, Little Jack, Jack Ryan Junior but unfortunately I couldn't help but feel this was missing some of that old Clancy magic...

It may have been because for most of the way through the book I didn't realise that the story would be picked up in another, and this was just the beginning for Junior, Brian and Dom. I knew there were other books, I even own one (its in my to-read pile) but I didn't know it would be a 'carry-on' unlike the other Clancy I've read, which use the same characters but each storyline is wrapped up at the end. That could have been why I didn't feel like this book was getting places very quickly.

However, I see the potential and I have always enjoyed Clancy's writing. It's time for me to let go of my old favourite characters and embrace the new! I will persevere with Dead or Alive and see how it goes. ( )
  crashmyparty | Feb 26, 2014 |
:People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -George Orwell "This is a war of the unknown warriors; but let all strive without failing in faith or in duty..." -Winston Churchill
To Chris and Charlie. Welcome aboard ...and, of course, Lady Alex, whose light burns as brightly as ever
David Greengold had been born in that most American of communities, Brooklyn, but at his Bar Mitzvah, something important had changed in his life.
Mensen slapen 's nachts alleen vredig in hun bed omdat ruwe mannen klaarstaan om voor hen geweld te plegen. (George Orwell). Dit is een oorlog van de onbekende krijgers, maar laten we allen streven zonder tekort te schieten in ons geloof of onze plicht. (Winston Churchill).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039915079X, Hardcover)

A man named Mohammed sits in a café in Vienna, about to propose a deal to a Colombian. Mohammed has a strong network of agents and sympathizers throughout Europe and the Middle East, and the Colombian has an equally strong drug network throughout America. What if they were to form an alliance, to combine all their assets and connections? The potential for profits would be enormous-and the potential for destruction unimaginable.

In the Brave New World of terrorism-where anybody with a spare AK-47, a knowledge of kitchen chemistry, or simply the will to die can become a player-the old rules no longer apply. No matter what new governmental organizations come into being, the only truly effective ones are those that are quick and agile, free of oversight and restrictions . . . and outside the system.

Way outside the system.

In a nondescript office building in suburban Maryland, the firm Hendley Associates does a profitable business in stocks, bonds, and international currencies, but its true mission is quite different: to identify and locate terrorist threats, and then deal with them, in whatever manner necessary. Established with the knowledge of President John Patrick Ryan, "the Campus" is always on the lookout for promising new talent, its recruiters scattered throughout the armed forces and government agencies-and three men are about to cross its radar.

The first is Dominic Caruso, a rookie FBI agent, barely a year out of Quantico, whose decisive actions resolve a particularly brutal kidnap/murder case. The second is Caruso's brother, Brian, a Marine captain just back from his first combat action in Afghanistan, and already a man to watch. And the third is their cousin . . . a young man named Jack Ryan, Jr.

Jack was raised on intrigue. As his father moved through the ranks of the CIA and then into the White House, Jack received a life course in the world and the way it operates from agents, statesmen, analysts, Secret Service men, and black ops specialists such as John Clark and Ding Chavez. He wants to put it all to work now-but when he knocks on the front door of "the Campus," he finds that nothing has prepared him for what he is about to encounter. For it is indeed a different world out there, and in here . . . and it is about to become far more dangerous.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:17 -0400)

When a terrorist leader and a drug warlord form a dangerous alliance, three new Hendley Associates agents--FBI agent Dominic Caruso, his Marine captain brother Brian, and their cousin, Jack Ryan, Jr.--encounter unexpected dangers.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,017,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible