Sick of Shadows by Sharyn McCrumb

Sick of Shadows (1984)

by Sharyn McCrumb

I feel like I read this before. It isn't one of her best. It kept my interest though. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This was a really slow moving book and I only got into it at the very last two chapters. As I know how wonderful a writer Sharyn became in later novels, I gave it a chance, otherwize I wouldn't have gotten thru it--no pathos, cumbersome plot, just dragged and dragged. But we all know she go so much better as did her main character --down the line. ( )
  hklibrarian | Jun 28, 2013 |
Another cosy murder mystery.The brittle, closeted Oscar Wildean gay brother annoyed me. Too many crazy people in this book, and too many straight out of the DSM problems. I guess that mean the author does research!

I did get the next one in the series, so I must have liked it when I finished it. Time has tarnished the memory! ( )
  veracite | Apr 6, 2013 |
The first time I heard the title "Sick of Shadows" I immediately thought of Tennyson's poem "The Lady of Shallot." I was especially hopeful that the poem might be connected to this mystery despite the slight change of wording since my I found McCrumb through her Ballad Mysteries.

In this aspect, it did not disappoint - there are numerous parallels between the two works, though it is far from an actual "retelling" of the story. Tennyson's mysterious "curse" has always intrigued me, and it is incorporated well here.

However, the book as a whole just isn't quite as put together as I hoped it would be. It is not as funny as the Jay Omega series, nor as intricate and layered as the Ballad series; it rests in the middle ground. Also, the random insertion of quotes throughout did bother me a bit - they just seemed a bit out of sync with the rest of the conversations.

I'm really not certain if I'm going to continue on with this series; I like the poem connections, but not as much of a fan of the writing style. I might try skipping ahead a few books to see what one of the later books are like. Of course, I still have several other books of hers to read so I'm in no rush. ( )
  Melanti | Mar 30, 2013 |
Not McCrumb's best MacPherson, but Elizabeth MacPherson is such an engaging heroine, it's still fun.
  malob | Sep 28, 2011 |
"'I am half sick of shadows,' said the Lady of Shalott." -- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
For David and Nick with gratitude
Dear Bill, Thank you very much for the graduation present.

Eileen Chandler, of the very eccentric Georgia Chandlers, is all set to be married.
Unfortunately, nobody much likes the groom: they fear he's out to snare her $200,000 inheritance and take advantage of Eileen's delicate mental state. with her sensible cousin Elizabeth MacPherson on hand for the festivities, Eileen hops to have a friend in her corner for support.

Before joyous wedding bells can chime, though, murder makes an uninvited appearance. And no one in the strange wedding party is above suspicion. but who would want to silence such sacred bows before they were spoken? With clever cousin Elizabeth taking an active interest, something fascinating is bound to surface.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345356535, Mass Market Paperback)

The book that started it all for Edgar Award winner Sharyn McCrumb's widely acclaimed series featuring amateur sleuth Elizabeth MacPherson.
When delicate Eileen Chandler is set to marry, her family fears the man is a fortune hunter. Thank goodness, Eileen's cousin Elizabeth MacPherson comes early for support. Unfortunately, Elizabeth also has some detecting to do, as a dead body is found, and none of the wedding party is above suspicion....
"A good deal of suspense...McCrumb writes with a sharp-pointed pen."
LOS ANGELES TIMES

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:36 -0400)

Eccentric Eileen Chandler is all set to be married, but someone wants the vows stopped before they are started. Murder has made an uninvited appearance before the wedding and no one in the crazy wedding party is above suspicion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible