A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by…

A History of the World in 10½ Chapters (1989)

by Julian Barnes

Recently added byelvisettey, private library, SFTedu, alleal, abeaman92, klburnside, BarkerWarren, coralie23, moopet

English (34)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (39)
Clever. I liked it, but I would stop short of characterizing it as a life-changing experience. ( )
  Sharon.Flesher | Jul 13, 2015 |
This book is really weird. The stories themselves are moderately weird, and the links between them elevate it to higher weirdness. I'm not sure if I like the book though. I don't dislike it either, I just don't know what to make of it. And I usually do like weird books.
  wester | Jun 24, 2015 |
I'm in two minds about this book. Whilst it is beautifully written, well observed and hilarious in parts, there were some bits that I found really dull. The breadth of Barnes' scope is astonishing and the stories are cleverly linked, but I found The Survivor and The Mountain rather weak. ( )
  martensgirl | Jun 20, 2015 |
Short stories tied together : Couldn't finish it ( )
  keithgordonvernon | Apr 1, 2015 |
When I read the first two chapters of this book I was blown away. The first is absolutely hysterical, and the second begins that way, but leaves you staring at the book in disbelief, unsure what to make of what just happened. I couldn't wait to read the rest, but I have to say that I was a little disappointed.
While each story is very clever, and the connections that run through the book are fun to find, I found myself getting a little bored. The chapter titled "The Mountain" seemed to go on for much too long, and wasn't as witty as the others.
Nonetheless, I think this one is definitely worth reading. Even if it does become a bit slow in places, I can't argue with the mastery of Barnes in connecting all of these seemingly unconnected chapters, and in his ability to really make you think about the world around you. ( )
  ashleyk44 | Jul 8, 2014 |

Julian Barnesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoog, ElseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Pat Kavanagh
They put the behemoths in the hold along with the rhinos, the hippos and the elephants.
These are grand words. We must make sure we deserve them. Listen to them again: 'I love you.' Subject, verb, object: the unadorned impregnable sentence. The subject is a short word, implying the self-effacement of the lover. The verb is longer but unambiguous, a demonstrative moment as the tongue flicks anxiously away from the palate to release the vowel. The object, like the subject, has no consonants, and is attained by pushing the lips forward as if for a kiss. 'I love you.' How serious, how weighted, how freighted it sounds.

These simple stories
Connect mountain and shipwreck
Through people and dreams.
(Thruston)

This is, in short, a complete, unsettling, and frequently exhilarating vision of the world, starting with the voyage of Noah's ark and ending with a sneak preview of heaven!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

Offers an idiosyncratic, revisionist history of life on planet Earth, from a playful account of Noah by a stowaway on the Ark, to the spiritual odyssey of a American astronaut.

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,006,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible