dismiss

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by R. A. Dick

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1945)

by R. A. Dick

Burdened by debt after her husband's death, Lucy Muir is forced out of her home and insists on moving into the very cheap Gull Cottage in the quaint seaside village of Whitecliff, despite multiple warnings that the house is haunted. Upon discovering the rumors to be true, the young widow ends up discovering a special companionship in the company of the ghost of handsome former sea captain Daniel Gregg. Through the struggles of supporting her children, seeking out romance from the wrong places, and working to publish the captain's story as a book, Blood and Swash, Lucy finds a source of constant comfort in her secret relationship with Captain Gregg. This romantic tale explores how love can blossom without boundaries, both in this life and beyond. Vintage Movie Classicsspotlights classic films that have stood the test of time, now rediscovered through the publication of the novels on which they were based.… (more)

Once more, I find myself reading a book upon which a favorite movie has been based. Even though I've never been a fan of either Gene Tierney or Rex Harrison, the 1947 screen adaptation of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir has always been a favorite. Since I don't care for the actors, I think it's safe to say that it's all due to the story.

The movie actually follows along rather closely to the book, only changing the chronology from time to time and having Mrs. Muir have just one child-- an excision I could understand completely.

At the very beginning of the book, we are told that Lucy Muir is a little woman, but it takes no time at all to see that the only people who call her little are those who go through life with blinders on-- and those who insist on keeping her "in her place." R.A. Dick's novel is so much more than a ghost story; it's about a woman who insists on living the life that she wants without other people telling her what to do.

My experiences in reading books that have been the source of favorite movies have been a bit hit-or-miss, but I'm happy to say that reading The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is a success. Both book and film are well done. Both stand the test of time, and both can bring a tear to the eye. ( )
  cathyskye | Oct 21, 2019 |
It's been years since I saw the movie so my memories of it are a bit hazy. However, I do find the novel to be really good. I especially love the idea that narrowminded people that don't care about other's can't hear the captain's voice. They are shut off spiritually. Anyhow, I've wanted to read the books for years and I'm glad to say that the book was just as good as hoped it to me. Now I want to re-watch the movie! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
I love this story - not sure why, Mrs. Muir is constantly being badgered about and managed. She escapes her husband's family only to run into a managing ghost...Captain Gregg is mostly very annoying, except when he's utterly wonderful. He screws up mightily a few times, and every time he apologizes and tries to make things better (though mostly he can't). Lucy Muir also screws up a few times, though usually more by omission than commission - letting others direct her actions rather than standing up for herself. I like Anna, and dislike Cyril, exactly as I'm supposed to. Anna's disgust at falling into such a conventional life is wonderful - it's one short scene, but I love it. And the end is not at all surprising, but it's lovely. I've seen the movie at least a couple times; I really can't remember whether I've read the book before. I certainly know the story, but whether I got it from the book or the movie I don't know. The foreword, in my edition, spends a good deal of time praising the movie's screenwriter, who modified the book to make a better movie without destroying its story (as all too many screenwriters have done to other books). I wonder if anyone's published the movie novelization; that would be interesting to compare to the original. But I guess I'll just have to watch the movie again, and compare it that way... ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 23, 2018 |
Deep and thought provoking - right up my street ;) ( )
  ReneePaule | Jan 23, 2018 |
The story of young English widow Lucy Muir. Along with her two young children, Lucy moves into the isolated cliffside home of Gull Cottage. Eager to finally be free from her domineering in-laws, Lucy finds that she must deal with another strong personality, the long dead Captain Gregg, who owned the house and died there.
This is the book of the movie starring Rex Harrison and Gene Tierney and the book was re-issued by Vintage Movie Classics. The scare factor is almost non-existent, just a bit of apprehension about what Lucy will find when she first moves in, but this is a rather sweet ghost story. Well, if you put aside how Lucy behaves when she has a shot at romance. ( )
  mstrust | Sep 25, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,680,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible