dismiss

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

American Psycho (1991)

by Bret Easton Ellis

Patrick Bateman moves among the young and trendy in 1980s Manhattan. Young, handsome, and well educated, Bateman earns his fortune on Wall Street by day, while spending his nights in ways we cannot begin to fathom. Expressing his true self through torture and murder, Bateman prefigures an apocalyptic horror that no society could bear to confront.… (more)
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson (gtross)
    gtross: I would be very much surprised if Bret Easton Ellis hadn't been influenced by Jim Thompson's first person narrative of a psychopathic mind.
    The Maimed by Hermann Ungar (askthedust)
    Killer on the Road by James Ellroy (yokai)
    In the Miso Soup by Ryū Murakami (TheRavenking)
    People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess (ShelfMonkey)
    The Seven Days of Peter Crumb: A Novel (P.S.) by Jonny Glynn (gooneruk)
    gooneruk: Peter Crumb is more intense, shorter, and more schizophrenic, but Bateman is a good cross-Atlantic mirror for him.

English (216)  French (10)  Danish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (238)
Läst två gånger, den svenska versionen är kass ( )
  victor.k.jacobsson | May 23, 2020 |
I felt like I was reading something off 4chan really. I get the whole nihilism thing, but all and all not sure how i felt about the book, though i was amused by the rich people being rich people. ( )
  locriian | May 4, 2020 |
I wasn't sure about this book at the half way mark. This is one tome that I am glad to have pressed on to the end. Our main character is clearly unwell: he succeeds at his job, in Wall Street, almost because of his sickness. He may also psychopathically kill people because of it but, there is a question mark: is he killing, or is it a figment of his sick mind?

The evidence for his homicidal activity is graphically told within these pages but, there is equal, but more subtle evidence that it is a fiction: the cleaners, who make no mention of the gruesomely displayed body parts and meekly clean blood off the walls and floor, the business contact to whom he confesses killing a mutual acquaintance remarking that he has subsequently met the victim.

How real these ravings may, or may not be merely adds to the surreal world that Patrick Bateman inhabits. Not a pleasant read, but an interesting one... ( )
  the.ken.petersen | May 4, 2020 |
When I read this book, I, as other reviewers, had to put it down for several days at a time to recover. The brutal depictions of rape, murder, torture, and callousness affected me deeply, and for several months following the finish of the book. I was irritable, quick to anger, and overslept.

When a friend of mine brought up the topic of the book two years later, I had a reaction I was not expecting. Two years after I put the book down forever, I had a memory of one of the scenes that I tried VERY hard not to remember, and tried VERY hard not to think about. The scene haunted me for hours after the conversation.

I had such a strong reaction to words, formed into sentences, structured into paragraphs; the affect of the book on my psyche is nothing short of amazing. I hate this book so much.

There are few things I wish could be unlearned. I wish I could unread this book. Future readers be warned. ( )
  magonistarevolt | Apr 27, 2020 |
Ho terminato la lettura da un paio di settimane e ancora non so bene da che parte cominciare.
E' stata una lettura piacevole? No, certo che no.
Lo consiglierei? Assolutamente sì.
Ho affrontato la prima parte con irritazione nei confronti del protagonista e dell'autore, non capivo perché fossero necessarie tutte quelle estenuanti descrizioni e digressioni. Ma ho proseguito con caparbietà e ho fatto bene.
American Psycho ha la capacità di descrivere nel minimo dettaglio il nulla, la vita di Patrick Bateman e il vuoto che la permea. Il lettore è trasportato in maniera graduale in quell'altra parte della vita di Bateman, quella notturna, quella che si scorge poco a poco. Ma una volta aperta quella porta non la si può più chiudere e si precipita in una spirale sempre più cruda e feroce.
Però per me la cosa più sconvolgente è stata la mia personale reazione: nelle ultime cinquanta o cento pagine mi sono completamente estraniata da ogni sensazione, da ogni emozione. Come se fossi sotto anestesia, ho letto pagine durissime senza stupore e senza orrore. Come se fossi Patrick Bateman.
Impressionante. Spaventoso. Bellissimo. ( )
1 vote silvia.amaturo | Mar 21, 2020 |
You get the feeling that Mr. Ellis began writing his novel with a single huge emotion of outrage, and that he never in his three years of working on it paused to modulate that emotion or to ask if it was helping to construct an imaginary world. How else could he have written scenes so flat and tedious that the reader wants to scream? Surely not with profit or exploitation in mind. If so, commercialism has never before produced anything so boring.

Where Bonfire owed some part of its success to the reassurance it offered the rich—“You may be silly,” Wolfe was saying in effect, “but, brother, the people down at the bottom are unspeakably worse”—Ellis’s novel inverts the equation. I cannot recall a piece of fiction by an American writer that depicts so odious a ruling class—worse, a young ruling class of Wall Street princelings ready, presumably, by the next century to manage the mighty if surrealistic levers of our economy...

If the extracts of American Psycho are horrendous, therefore, when taken out of context, that is Ellis’s fault. They are, for the most part, simply not written well enough. If one is embarked on a novel that hopes to shake American society to the core, one has to have something new to say about the outer limits of the deranged—one cannot simply keep piling on more and more acts of machicolated butchery.
added by SnootyBaronet | editVanity Fair, Norman Mailer

Ellis, Bret Eastonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Culicchia, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenders, BaltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L'auteur de ce journal et le journal lui-même appartiennent évidemment au domaine de la fiction. Et pourtant, si l'on considère les circonstances sous l'action desquelles s'est formée notre société, il apparaît qu'il peut, qu'il doit exister parmi nous des êtres semblables à l'auteur de ce journal. J'ai voulu montrer au public, en en soulignant quelque peu les traits, un des personnages de l'époque qui vient de s'écouler, un des représentants de la génération qui s'éteint actuellement. Dans ce premier fragment, intitulé Le Sous-Sol, le personnage se présente au lecteur, il expose ses idées et semble vouloir expliquer les causes qui l'ont fait naître dans notre société. Dans le second fragment, il relate certains évènements de son existence.

Fedor Dostoïevski
Le Sous-Sol
Une des grandes erreurs que l'on peut commetre est de croire que les bonnes manières ne sont que l'expression d'une pensée heureuse. Les bonnes manières peuvent être l'expression d'un large éventail d'attitudes. Voici le but essentiel de la civilisation : exprimer de façon élégante et non pas agressive. Une de ces errances est le mouvement naturiste, rousseauiste des années soixante où l'on disait : "Pourquoi ne pas dire tout simplement ce que l'on pense ?" La civilisation ne peut exister sans quelques contraintes. Si nous suivions toutes nos impulsions, nous nous entretuerions.

Miss Manners (Judith Martin)
And a thing fell apart
Nobody paid much attention

Talking Heads
for Bruce Taylor
ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE, is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Chemical Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First and is in print large enough to be seen from the backseat of the cab as it lurches forward in the traffic leaving Wall Street and just as Timothy Price notices the words a bus pulls up, the advertisement for Les Misérables on its side blocking the view, but Price who is with Pierce & Pierce and twenty-six doesn't seem to care because he tells the driver he will give him five dollars to turn up the radio, "Be My Baby" on WYNN, and the driver, black, not American, does so.
And if another round of Bellinis comes within a twenty-foot radius of this table we are going to set the maitre d' on fire. So you know, warn him. - Timothy Price
"Beat the shit out of him," the girl suggests, pointing at me. "Oh honey," I say, shaking my head, "the things I could do to you with a coat hanger."
"Blitzen was a reindeer"
"The only Jewish one," Peterson reminds us.
...McDermott, in a state of total frustration, asked the girls if they knew the names of any of the nine planets. Libby and Caron guessed the moon. Daisy wasn't sure but she actually guessed...Comet. Daisy thought that Comet was a planet. Dumbfounded, McDermott, Taylor and I all assured her that it was.
"Lobster to start with? And for an entrée?"
"What do you want me to order? The Pringle Potato Chip appetizer?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,570,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible