American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

American Psycho (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Bret Easton Ellis

9,194178325 (3.75)245
Member:kiriyama
Title:American Psycho
Authors:Bret Easton Ellis
Info:Vintage (1991), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 416 pages

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (1991)

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    The killer inside me by Jim Thompson (gtross)
    gtross: I would be very much surprised if Bret Easton Ellis hadn't been influenced by Jim Thompson's first person narrative of a psychopathic mind.
    The Maimed by Hermann Ungar (askthedust)
    Killer on the Road by James Ellroy (yokai)
    People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess (ShelfMonkey)
    Netsuke by Rikki Ducornet (StevenTX)
    The Seven Days of Peter Crumb: A Novel (P.S.) by Jonny Glynn (gooneruk)
    gooneruk: Peter Crumb is more intense, shorter, and more schizophrenic, but Bateman is a good cross-Atlantic mirror for him.

English (161)  French (9)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (177)
Hardbodies ( )
  Hack | Jan 18, 2015 |
Eh. A lot of people have ridiculed this book for it's flagrant use of violence towards women. It's strange you don't hear much about violence against gays, children, animals, etc etc...but to each their own.

So. If you are an american boy who was nurtured on violent video games during adolescence, fear not. You are already desensitized enough to find the book's most notable acclaims of shock and horror completely irrelevant. Yep...so now he's killing someone. Yep, he's swearing. Yep, he's shooting a gun. Yep, he's killing another person. Yep, it's like everything from music mariylyn manson to video game Postal/Carmageddon to you name it. who cares. oh right. drugs too.

well. here. im not even gonna correct my typos anymore. its winter and my hands are losing dexterity.

Amerian Pyschjo = Consumerism (White Noise) + drug talk (naked lunch) + violence (whatever) + music (this is a first for me)

heavy focus on using brand names and media interjections as white noise did. nothing new there.

druh talk, like any damn author of the 1960s. borign.

violence. ok, fine.

music. now this was something different. he will go into pages desriptbing. describing artists and music labels at great length, in full boring commitment to people like The Talking Heads and Prince (not really that one) in a very MTV-like fashion. or like NPR's music guide. What is that...all songs considered. It's exceptionally frustrating, but i suppose he's forcing you to get into the cultural mindset. it was the first time ive encountered the music theme in a book. hurrah. except i dont give a damn about mtv, or the musical groups. dont relly think im being dense about this point either.

CONCLUSION:
If you have never read any of the previous books in the equation, grew up painfully sheltered or during decades prior, actually areearnestly interested in the music groups, are attracted by the title, OR OF COURSE YOU WATCHED THE MOVIE AND WANT TO FOLLOW IT UP, then do the book, but don't expcept much. sorry about the cold hands. ( )
  mortensengarth | Jan 18, 2015 |
One of the funniest books I've ever read, yet also one of the most horrifyingly graphic. A great satire. ( )
  Czarmoriarty | Jan 12, 2015 |
Rarely have I been confronted by a book that makes me feel sick for humanity, a book that causes me to question my taste as a reader, and or a book which is so brilliantly put together that I can justify ignoring my impulses to turn tail and run.

American Psycho.It was disgusting and offensive, yet, I read every word of it.

Ellis's American Psycho was brilliantly written and masterfully sewn together to create the view of a killer in decline. It deserves a place on my book shelf, but will never be suggested reading, I will never loan it out. I would ask people I care about to never read it.

Presenting in detail an utter disregard for human life, women in particular, I had trouble fathoming the filth my 'soul' was accumulating by proxy of the character Bateman. The despicable and cruel beyond description, he was neither sinister nor evil. Bateman simply wasnt human. Applying morality or ethics to the character would be no different than saying an inanimate macaroni salad at a hot BBQ is evil when it causes harm or death. Bateman simply exists and is what he is. He just needs to be recognized, separated, and thrown out as bad. Keep him away from your dog.

Seeing the world through his eyes and with his thoughts was torture. A reader cannot simply consume, having to instead perform amateur analysis of him to find the errors causing his ailments. In some portions of the book, references to prep school abuse and other signs are enlightening but ultimate are not the point. Being an inhuman creature, I feel this was what was to be gleaned.

There are many analysis/reviews and deep level critiques of American Psycho, some predating its official publication, others from proponents of it's restriction or banning. Because of this, I will refrain from further speculation, feel free to read more at other locations.

Side note: People who knew what book I was reading commonly asked how it compared against the film adaptation. The film is tame, the film is an exercise in comic relief, the film is a beast that can be separated from reality and understood.. The novel, is a gory horror show several magnatude worse, to the level that no further comparison will occur.

Ugh... And yet, wow.I will stick with the more comedic less soul destroying movie in the future.

---

Reblurb:

Not needed, it could warn you about the need to vomit while reading, but otherwise adequate.

---

Publisher summary

In American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis imaginatively explores the incomprehensible depths of madness and captures the insanity of violence in our time or any other. Patrick Bateman moves among the young and trendy in 1980s Manhattan. Young, handsome, and well educated, Bateman earns his fortune on Wall Street by day while spending his nights in ways we cannot begin to fathom. Expressing his true self through torture and murder, Bateman prefigures an apocalyptic horror that no society could bear to confront.

xposted from RawBlurb
http://www.rawblurb.com/2014/07/review-american-psycho-bret-easton-ellis.html ( )
  JasonBrownPDX | Jan 3, 2015 |
One of the worst books I've ever read. ( )
  icemoosey | Jan 1, 2015 |
for Bruce Taylor
ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE, is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Chemical Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First and is in print large enough to be seen from the backseat of the cab as it lurches forward in the traffic leaving Wall Street and just as Timothy Price notices the words a bus pulls up, the advertisement for Les Misérables on its side blocking the view, but Price who is with Pierce & Pierce and twenty-six doesn't seem to care because he tells the driver he will give him five dollars to turn up the radio, "Be My Baby" on WYNN, and the driver, black, not American, does so.
And if another round of Bellinis comes within a twenty-foot radius of this table we are going to set the maitre d' on fire. So you know, warn him. - Timothy Price
"Beat the shit out of him," the girl suggests, pointing at me. "Oh honey," I say, shaking my head, "the things I could do to you with a coat hanger."
"Blitzen was a reindeer"
"The only Jewish one," Peterson reminds us.
...McDermott, in a state of total frustration, asked the girls if they knew the names of any of the nine planets. Libby and Caron guessed the moon. Daisy wasn't sure but she actually guessed...Comet. Daisy thought that Comet was a planet. Dumbfounded, McDermott, Taylor and I all assured her that it was.
"Lobster to start with? And for an entrée?"
"What do you want me to order? The Pringle Potato Chip appetizer?"

Now a major motion picture from Lion's Gate Films starring Christian Bale (Metroland), Chloe Sevigny (The Last Days of Disco), Jared Leto (My So Called Life), and Reese Witherspoon (Cruel Intentions), and directed by Mary Harron (I Shot Andy Warhol).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:42 -0400)

In a black satire of the eighties, a decade of naked greed and unparalleled callousness, a successful Wall Street yuppie cannot get enough of anything, including murder. In American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis imaginatively explores the incomprehensible depths of madness and captures the insanity of violence in our time or any other. Patrick Bateman moves among the young and trendy in 1980s Manhattan. Young, handsome, and well educated, Bateman earns his fortune on Wall Street by day, while spending his nights in ways we cannot begin to fathom. Expressing his true self through torture and murder, Bateman prefigures an apocalyptic horror that no society could bear to confront.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,131,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible