American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

American Psycho (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Bret Easton Ellis

9,576190301 (3.74)263
Member:kiriyama
Title:American Psycho
Authors:Bret Easton Ellis
Info:Vintage (1991), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 416 pages

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (1991)

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    The killer inside me by Jim Thompson (gtross)
    gtross: I would be very much surprised if Bret Easton Ellis hadn't been influenced by Jim Thompson's first person narrative of a psychopathic mind.
    The Maimed by Hermann Ungar (askthedust)
    Killer on the Road by James Ellroy (yokai)
    People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess (ShelfMonkey)
    The Seven Days of Peter Crumb: A Novel (P.S.) by Jonny Glynn (gooneruk)
    gooneruk: Peter Crumb is more intense, shorter, and more schizophrenic, but Bateman is a good cross-Atlantic mirror for him.

English (172)  French (9)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (189)
I'll admit that I've read this book more than once. ( )
  jimifenway | Feb 2, 2016 |
I gave this book one star and the star itself belongs to my wife for saving me from this mindless drivel. I did not finish the book. In fact, I ended up on page 184. My wife was kind enough to give me the ending because she saw me struggling with this book. If you are squeemish over frank talk, read no further, this review is not for lighthearted.

This is the story of one Patrick Bateman as told from the perspective of Patrick Bateman. He is increadibly wealthy. He is incredibly handsome. He lives on the posh upper west side of Manhattan. He works for a Wall Street investment firm and makes even more cash on top of the cash he already has. He also is gifted with a Psychosis that he wants to mutilate everything and everyone he meets. This book is very graphic. In certain areas of the book the graphic images the author writes about are also very intense. This reader will have to be very careful of where he plans to release this book. This one is not for anyone under 21 to find. As Patrick goes along, his psychosis gets worse. Murder, Rape, Mutilations......Not a pleasant read at all.

I am trying to understand who Bret Easton Ellis is targeting as his audience. My wife gave this book 10 stars due to its ending. I congratulate her for slogging through it to get to the ending. For her review please click here.

I found the author's writing very cryptic. At first, I seriously was confused as to whether Patrick Bateman was a man? Woman? Transexual? or just gay. (No offense to those that are gay, if anything, gay people should be offended at the way this particular author portrayed them). Being an average guy, I seriously could not relate to Patrick Bateman. He has a great detail for fashion, yet he is very superficial about the whole thing. Fashion is only good when it relates to him and no one else. His ability to gossip with other women. Women gossip, men BS about stuff. Ultimately it amounts to the same thing but it is in the delivery that makes the difference, I guess. Patrick Bateman comes across as a very unlikeable character, in my opinion, because he just does not even come across like a man. True, the time table may have had an affect to this as this was the 80s. But if being filthy rich in the 80s meant you had to act like Patrick Bateman and his cronies, thank God I was poor (or at least not Filthy Rich like Patrick Bateman). Bret Easton Ellis's observation to the reader about how fake and plastic Patrick Bateman's world was, was easily explained in the first 10 pages of this book. I have a feeling that the author purposely chose to beat the reader over the head with this knowledge for another 390 pages. By about the 5th chapter in this book, I was yelling at the virtual Bret Easton Ellis, "OK EVERYONE LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE! EVERYONE IS A FAKE AND A PHONY! I GET IT ALREADY!"

I guess women relate to this book differently. Other reviews that I briefly skimmed showed that women readers wanted to get to the next page to see what happens next in the mind of this guy. Me? I wanted to turn back the clock, and be able to go into this ficticious world so that I can beat the crap out of Patrick Bateman. I am understandibly curious as to how men reviewed this book. I guess I will have to research.

Bret Easton Ellis did portray Patrick Bateman as a psychotic, this is true. However, he made his point, over and over and over again to the point that I did not want to read until the end. My wife told me the ending and if I read that I would have been seriously angry that I wasted my time on this. I felt that the author could have made his point on the degenerated state of Patrick Bateman in 5 chapters at most, then wrapped it up. He did not have to take as long as he did.

In conclusion, I simply did not like this book. I would not recommend it to anyone from my perspective. However, your perspective may be different. I could not relate to this book because I could not relate to the main character, Patrick Bateman. I don't know what he was, but he was not a guy. If any guys pick this up, give the book to your girlfriend or significant other. She may have a better chance of relating to the book. Did you feel that this review was repetitious? Wait till you read the book!!!! ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
American Psycho Brett Easton Ellis

I know this book has achieved cult status and is supposed to be a glowing example of satire but I just couldn't stomach it, the film was much better and that is due to the fact that the violence had to be so toned down.

Ok down to the story, this is a stream of consciousness account told by "serial killer" Patrick Bateman. Bateman works on wall street and is obsessed with material things, designer clothes, rolex watches, embossed business cards as well as with dining at the newest hip restaurants.

Half the novel is spent telling the reader in minute (boring) detail what every character is wearing along with what artwork they have, what food they eat at each restaurant and who is winning the one upmanship contest. The other half is spent telling the reader in minute (sickening) detail how Bateman tortures and kills his victims and believe me there is nothing so bad BEE wont put it in writing (personally I would have liked him to show some restraint)

There are some funny moments (booking a restaurant by committee) and the last 10% of the book was passable but really if I wanted this sort of thing in my life I would hire a snuff film (just got to return a videotape)

I just didn't get this book I only finished it because its on the list and would not recommend it to anyone and I would quiet happily see it dropped from the list and into a large pool of acid (you get that Bateman)

You have been warned lol
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
Sickening. I actually had a physical reaction of a bad kind while reading some of the violent descriptions in this. The first part is all details of clothes and materialism, then comes the pyschopathic murders, for which Easton Ellis shows no restraint, and then it just returns to how it was at the start. I hated it and would give it half a star. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
I'm intrigued... after reading reviews I am prepared for this to get way way way more disturbing of a read.... but I have to say the author does a good job of creating moments where I have to take a step back and go did i just read that?... those moments when I'm thinking okay I've heard enough about your entire entourages wardrobe, and do we really need 2 pages to describe all the products you use in your morning routine? I'm Just going to skip the next few paragraphs regarding the waitresses,your buddy's clothing or whatever else... the author throws in one sentence... just one that makes me read it twice... and think wow where did that come from... and at those points we start to get a glimpse into the mind of Mr. Bateman, which is progressively more disturbing as the book continues. (Pg 104)

I hate to say it... but there are certain moments that i find myself laughing at this book, i know that probably not the reaction that most people have, but let me explain its not the horrific, vile, completely disturbing scenes describing his gruesome acts that are making me laugh... those are making me cringe... Its the scene where he is screaming at the lady at the cleaner with a blood soaked sheet, asking how it is that she cant get the stains out... that he traverses this entire interaction without the slightest idea that maybe just maybe someone might catch on, like its completely normal to drop off bloody clothing at the cleaners without a second thought... its the fact that the people at the cleaners have not had the thought to call the cops... its the conversations he is having with his friends, the way he seems to somehow confess these horrible crimes, notions and thoughts that he has without anyone ever batting an eye lash or even hearing him say anything... its the ( SPOILER ) scene in the bathroom with the boyfriend of one of the many girls hes sleeping with where he goes in to strangle him, but the guy winds up coming onto him thinking that he's trying to pick him up and Bateman's frantic flight back to his dinner table... these moments that I am laughing at the absurdity of what i am reading are suddenly leading into scenes of murdered bums and tortured animals.... which makes the fact that 5 minutes before hand i was laughing all the more jarring and cringe worthy... While the subject matter is cringe - worthy, disgusting, vile, and all together horrifically disgusting... the theme of being inside the mind of a psychopath is up held to the fullest, I can tell already that this book will stick with me forever, maybe not in a good way, but unforgettable it will be. And because of that, even if i never want to even look at the cover again at the end of this insane ride through Batemans head and actions, it can never for me be classified as a failure, if it sticks with you, even if you hated every moment of it... there's a reason... (Pg 166) ( )
  mholton | Jan 14, 2016 |
There are literally pages and pages of this, and pages and pages of the sort of half-witty, half-bright dialogue and behaviour that goes with it: one repeatedly has the sense that inside this 399-page novel about a serial killer, a 120-page novella about spoilt rich kids in New York is wildly signalling to be let out. […] The descriptions of the killings are as inert, and therefore as gratuitous, as one fears they will be.
added by Widsith | editLondon Review of Books, John Lancaster (pay site) (Jul 11, 1991)

This man Bret Easton Ellis is a very, very good writer. He gets us to a T. And we can't stand it. It's our problem, not his. American Psycho is a beautifully controlled, careful, important novel which revolves about its own nasty bits. Brilliant.
added by Widsith | editThe Guardian, Fay Weldon (Apr 25, 1991)

You get the feeling that Mr. Ellis began writing his novel with a single huge emotion of outrage, and that he never in his three years of working on it paused to modulate that emotion or to ask if it was helping to construct an imaginary world. How else could he have written scenes so flat and tedious that the reader wants to scream? Surely not with profit or exploitation in mind. If so, commercialism has never before produced anything so boring.

L'auteur de ce journal et le journal lui-même appartiennent évidemment au domaine de la fiction. Et pourtant, si l'on considère les circonstances sous l'action desquelles s'est formée notre société, il apparaît qu'il peut, qu'il doit exister parmi nous des êtres semblables à l'auteur de ce journal. J'ai voulu montrer au public, en en soulignant quelque peu les traits, un des personnages de l'époque qui vient de s'écouler, un des représentants de la génération qui s'éteint actuellement. Dans ce premier fragment, intitulé Le Sous-Sol, le personnage se présente au lecteur, il expose ses idées et semble vouloir expliquer les causes qui l'ont fait naître dans notre société. Dans le second fragment, il relate certains évènements de son existence.

Fedor Dostoïevski
Le Sous-Sol
Une des grandes erreurs que l'on peut commetre est de croire que les bonnes manières ne sont que l'expression d'une pensée heureuse. Les bonnes manières peuvent être l'expression d'un large éventail d'attitudes. Voici le but essentiel de la civilisation : exprimer de façon élégante et non pas agressive. Une de ces errances est le mouvement naturiste, rousseauiste des années soixante où l'on disait : "Pourquoi ne pas dire tout simplement ce que l'on pense ?" La civilisation ne peut exister sans quelques contraintes. Si nous suivions toutes nos impulsions, nous nous entretuerions.

Miss Manners (Judith Martin)
And a thing fell apart
Nobody paid much attention

Talking Heads
for Bruce Taylor
ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE, is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Chemical Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First and is in print large enough to be seen from the backseat of the cab as it lurches forward in the traffic leaving Wall Street and just as Timothy Price notices the words a bus pulls up, the advertisement for Les Misérables on its side blocking the view, but Price who is with Pierce & Pierce and twenty-six doesn't seem to care because he tells the driver he will give him five dollars to turn up the radio, "Be My Baby" on WYNN, and the driver, black, not American, does so.
And if another round of Bellinis comes within a twenty-foot radius of this table we are going to set the maitre d' on fire. So you know, warn him. - Timothy Price
"Beat the shit out of him," the girl suggests, pointing at me. "Oh honey," I say, shaking my head, "the things I could do to you with a coat hanger."
"Blitzen was a reindeer"
"The only Jewish one," Peterson reminds us.
...McDermott, in a state of total frustration, asked the girls if they knew the names of any of the nine planets. Libby and Caron guessed the moon. Daisy wasn't sure but she actually guessed...Comet. Daisy thought that Comet was a planet. Dumbfounded, McDermott, Taylor and I all assured her that it was.
"Lobster to start with? And for an entrée?"
"What do you want me to order? The Pringle Potato Chip appetizer?"

Now a major motion picture from Lion's Gate Films starring Christian Bale (Metroland), Chloe Sevigny (The Last Days of Disco), Jared Leto (My So Called Life), and Reese Witherspoon (Cruel Intentions), and directed by Mary Harron (I Shot Andy Warhol).

In American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis imaginatively explores the incomprehensible depths of madness and captures the insanity of violence in our time or any other. Patrick Bateman moves among the young and trendy in 1980s Manhattan. Young, handsome, and well educated, Bateman earns his fortune on Wall Street by day while spending his nights in ways we cannot begin to fathom. Expressing his true self through torture and murder, Bateman prefigures an apocalyptic horror that no society could bear to confront.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:32 -0400)

In a black satire of the eighties, a decade of naked greed and unparalleled callousness, a successful Wall Street yuppie cannot get enough of anything, including murder. In American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis imaginatively explores the incomprehensible depths of madness and captures the insanity of violence in our time or any other. Patrick Bateman moves among the young and trendy in 1980s Manhattan. Young, handsome, and well educated, Bateman earns his fortune on Wall Street by day, while spending his nights in ways we cannot begin to fathom. Expressing his true self through torture and murder, Bateman prefigures an apocalyptic horror that no society could bear to confront.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,178,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible