American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

American Psycho (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Bret Easton Ellis

Member:librarianlinz
Title:American Psycho
Authors:Bret Easton Ellis
Info:Vintage (1991), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (1991)

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    The killer inside me by Jim Thompson (gtross)
    gtross: I would be very much surprised if Bret Easton Ellis hadn't been influenced by Jim Thompson's first person narrative of a psychopathic mind.
    The Maimed by Hermann Ungar (askthedust)
    Killer on the Road by James Ellroy (yokai)
    People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess (ShelfMonkey)
    Netsuke by Rikki Ducornet (StevenTX)
    The Seven Days of Peter Crumb: A Novel (P.S.) by Jonny Glynn (gooneruk)
    gooneruk: Peter Crumb is more intense, shorter, and more schizophrenic, but Bateman is a good cross-Atlantic mirror for him.

English (165)  French (10)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (182)
A friend of mine found this book lying around one day and gave it to me because I've been wanting to read it for some time now...having seen the movie and all. I'm glad to say that it turned out to be one of the most gruesome and horrifying books I've read to date.

Ellis pretty much gives a big old "screw you" to American Capitalism and life in the late 80s. It is a very interesting take on corporate America and how greed and consumerism can create this overall monster that consumes everything...including people (both literally and figuratively in the case of Patrick Bateman).

The first third of the book moves pretty slowly, but picks up steam as Bateman continues to lose his grip on reality. There are some pretty graphic and disgusting scenes that take place...so it will please horror nuts (like me). But, I think the disgusting scenes are a perfect metaphor for the horrible things that happen in the real world. The overall negative tone of the book should make people question humanity and certain systems like Capitalism. Is Bateman correct in assuming that things can not change in the world and that we are constantly stuck in its overall systems..."This is not an exit?" ( )
  rsplenda477 | Mar 21, 2015 |
This is the most boring book about a serial killer. It's less about him being a serial killer as it is about him being obsessed with his social status. It's about bullshit corporate hierarchy. It's about having a better car than the next executive; a better business card; a better girlfriend; a better chainsaw.

There are only about 50 pages of this book that are worth reading. The rest is complete garbage. But, if you don't read through all the garbage, you will never get to the bits about him torturing a girl on his living room floor, stuffing cheese in her cunt, and urging a rat to eat her out. And, of course, you will probably not get to the bit about him chasing a naked girl through his apartment complex, while he wields a chainsaw.

Did I say 50 pages? It's really more like 5 pages of awesomeness. Fuck the rest of this book. Fuck it in its dirty fucking ashole. Because, it's so bad, and it should feel bad. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
I hated this book with the red-hot passion of a thousand fiery suns. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 25, 2015 |
I can see why this book is brilliant - the satire of materialist Wall Street types, the clues that the narrator is unreliable which leave a lingering uncertainty about whether he did it or not, the suggestions that the narrator might have multiple personalities - but I hated it. I have a pretty strong stomach for reading gruesome violence, but this was just too much, and reading the serial killer scenes made me feel sick. I didn't like the normal New Yorker scenes either, because they were terribly boring - which I realize is the point, but that didn't make it any more interesting to read them arguing about what fancypants new restaurant to go to this time. Maybe I would have found it funnier if I actually knew any vapid New York elites. Great concept, well executed, profoundly awful to read. ( )
  brleach | Jan 26, 2015 |
Hardbodies ( )
  Hack | Jan 18, 2015 |
L'auteur de ce journal et le journal lui-même appartiennent évidemment au domaine de la fiction. Et pourtant, si l'on considère les circonstances sous l'action desquelles s'est formée notre société, il apparaît qu'il peut, qu'il doit exister parmi nous des êtres semblables à l'auteur de ce journal. J'ai voulu montrer au public, en en soulignant quelque peu les traits, un des personnages de l'époque qui vient de s'écouler, un des représentants de la génération qui s'éteint actuellement. Dans ce premier fragment, intitulé Le Sous-Sol, le personnage se présente au lecteur, il expose ses idées et semble vouloir expliquer les causes qui l'ont fait naître dans notre société. Dans le second fragment, il relate certains évènements de son existence.

Fedor Dostoïevski
Le Sous-Sol
Une des grandes erreurs que l'on peut commetre est de croire que les bonnes manières ne sont que l'expression d'une pensée heureuse. Les bonnes manières peuvent être l'expression d'un large éventail d'attitudes. Voici le but essentiel de la civilisation : exprimer de façon élégante et non pas agressive. Une de ces errances est le mouvement naturiste, rousseauiste des années soixante où l'on disait : "Pourquoi ne pas dire tout simplement ce que l'on pense ?" La civilisation ne peut exister sans quelques contraintes. Si nous suivions toutes nos impulsions, nous nous entretuerions.

Miss Manners (Judith Martin)
And a thing fell apart
Nobody paid much attention

Talking Heads
for Bruce Taylor
ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE, is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Chemical Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First and is in print large enough to be seen from the backseat of the cab as it lurches forward in the traffic leaving Wall Street and just as Timothy Price notices the words a bus pulls up, the advertisement for Les Misérables on its side blocking the view, but Price who is with Pierce & Pierce and twenty-six doesn't seem to care because he tells the driver he will give him five dollars to turn up the radio, "Be My Baby" on WYNN, and the driver, black, not American, does so.
And if another round of Bellinis comes within a twenty-foot radius of this table we are going to set the maitre d' on fire. So you know, warn him. - Timothy Price
"Beat the shit out of him," the girl suggests, pointing at me. "Oh honey," I say, shaking my head, "the things I could do to you with a coat hanger."
"Blitzen was a reindeer"
"The only Jewish one," Peterson reminds us.
...McDermott, in a state of total frustration, asked the girls if they knew the names of any of the nine planets. Libby and Caron guessed the moon. Daisy wasn't sure but she actually guessed...Comet. Daisy thought that Comet was a planet. Dumbfounded, McDermott, Taylor and I all assured her that it was.
"Lobster to start with? And for an entrée?"
"What do you want me to order? The Pringle Potato Chip appetizer?"

Now a major motion picture from Lion's Gate Films starring Christian Bale (Metroland), Chloe Sevigny (The Last Days of Disco), Jared Leto (My So Called Life), and Reese Witherspoon (Cruel Intentions), and directed by Mary Harron (I Shot Andy Warhol).

In American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis imaginatively explores the incomprehensible depths of madness and captures the insanity of violence in our time or any other. Patrick Bateman moves among the young and trendy in 1980s Manhattan. Young, handsome, and well educated, Bateman earns his fortune on Wall Street by day while spending his nights in ways we cannot begin to fathom. Expressing his true self through torture and murder, Bateman prefigures an apocalyptic horror that no society could bear to confront.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:42 -0400)

In a black satire of the eighties, a decade of naked greed and unparalleled callousness, a successful Wall Street yuppie cannot get enough of anything, including murder. In American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis imaginatively explores the incomprehensible depths of madness and captures the insanity of violence in our time or any other. Patrick Bateman moves among the young and trendy in 1980s Manhattan. Young, handsome, and well educated, Bateman earns his fortune on Wall Street by day, while spending his nights in ways we cannot begin to fathom. Expressing his true self through torture and murder, Bateman prefigures an apocalyptic horror that no society could bear to confront.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,289,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible