American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

American Psycho (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Bret Easton Ellis

Member:seventhp
Title:American Psycho
Authors:Bret Easton Ellis
Info:Vintage (1991), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (Author) (1991)

1001 (66) 1001 books (51) 1980s (71) 20th century (56) America (42) American (98) American literature (100) contemporary fiction (41) crime (65) drugs (41) fiction (896) horror (233) literature (71) made into movie (41) murder (117) New York (92) New York City (40) novel (136) own (38) read (129) Roman (46) satire (155) serial killer (173) sex (46) thriller (91) to-read (125) unread (44) USA (50) violence (88) Wall Street (45)
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    The killer inside me by Jim Thompson (gtross)
    gtross: I would be very much surprised if Bret Easton Ellis hadn't been influenced by Jim Thompson's first person narrative of a psychopathic mind.
    The Maimed by Hermann Ungar (askthedust)
    Killer on the Road by James Ellroy (yokai)
    People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess (ShelfMonkey)
    Netsuke by Rikki Ducornet (StevenTX)
    The Seven Days of Peter Crumb: A Novel (P.S.) by Jonny Glynn (gooneruk)
    gooneruk: Peter Crumb is more intense, shorter, and more schizophrenic, but Bateman is a good cross-Atlantic mirror for him.

English (150)  French (9)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (166)
I wish i could un-read this book. Racism, misogyny, insane violence, sickening descriptions of rape and mutilation. I understand the need for such thing at one or two instances but not the whole book . sorry i just dont get it.
  smitha_1988 | Apr 17, 2014 |
One of the worst books I have ever had the sad misfortune to read.
Started off grim, got progressively worse, before culminating in a massive pile of tripe.
Won't be reading him again in ahurry. ( )
  col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
This book has been a major inspiration to me as a writer. ( )
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
American Psycho is a highly controversial novel that brought its young author Bret Easton Ellis instant fame. The book is written from the perspective of a young Wall Street financier, Patrick Bateman. Patrick is intelligent, well educated, wealthy and good looking, in addition to being a psychopath.

The anti-hero’s bland narcissistic existence revolves around activities such as fretting over dinner bookings at a host of Manhattan’s finest eateries, a rigorous and very particular fitness regime, a dizzying array of beauty products and an underlying obsession with materialism, particularly clothing; his own and others. Patrick’s relationship with his numerous hedonistic male and female friends and acquaintances is characterised by a universal shallowness, including that with long-time girlfriend Evelyn.

As the book progresses we are drawn into the mindset of a killer plagued by periods of psychosis and an increasingly voracious appetite for debauchery on an epic scale, which includes torture, mutilation and murder. At times the narrative is truly horrific in its unrelenting scope for savagery, barbarity and misogyny. Yet the book is often humorous, particularly the numerous comical scenes in which Patrick attempts unsuccessfully to shock people. Examples of this include asking for a ‘decapitated coffee’ and when referring to mergers and acquisitions as ‘murders and executions’. The dark comedy lies not merely in the clever word play, but also in the fact that the parties concerned remain utterly oblivious to what is actually being said.

Essentially the book can be viewed as a satire of the yuppies culture of the 1980s, as it is evident that the author is commenting on society’s obsession with the meaningless and trivial, such as our obsession with fashion accessories. American Psycho is a fascinating, complex, bleak and often comical book that allows one to gain an understanding of the inner workings of a psychopath, whilst at the same time questioning the very essence of capitalist culture. ( )
  guyportman | Apr 7, 2014 |
It seems that the last few books that I have looked at don't seem to be the type of books that Christians should be reading. American Psycho clearly falls into that category, but on another hand it is one of those books that removes the thin veneer of respectability from society to show it at its most horrendous. American Psycho is about sex and violence, and in particular how interconnected sex and violence are. There is also a lot of drugs flowing around the world of American Psycho, and all of this occurs within the upper professional class of New York. In fact the main character is a very well respected member of the New York elite, and when he finally confesses, everybody laughs at him and tells him to stop being silly.
What is quite disturbing about this book is how Ellis easily links both sex and violence and how the pleasure that sex brings slowly morphs into the pleasure of causing pain to another person. In fact, one minute one is reading a rather explicit sex scene, and before we know it, he is murdering his victim in a passion of ecstasy. All of this is done in a drug haze as well, mostly cocaine (which is the wealthy person's drug).
There is no method, rhyme, or reason to his killing. He does not do it because of some jealous hatred of womankind, and in fact his victims are not limited to women, though a lot of them are because they are the ones he is able to lure back into his apartment. The only time he gets close to being caught is when he kills a homeless man and is spotted by a police officer, and thus a chase ensure (and remember, he doesn't get caught in this book. He attempts to confess but nobody believes him).
We never know his actual occupation, only that he works on Wall Street and that he is wealthy. He could be anybody, any one of us. This book shows us the dark side of the American Dream, and he is living it. Being one of the wealthy, while not necessarily being above the law, he certainly is able to avoid its worse implications. This book shows us freedom at its worst, where we are free to do what we want, including inflicting pain onto another person.
This is a very disturbing book, but in another sense it was incredibly fascinating. While I was not drawn into the violent scenes, the way that Ellis merges the pleasure of sex to the horror of violence, you tend not to have any choice. Yes, he is very explicit and very descriptive, but he does that for a reason. We are supposed to get caught up into the horror, to wake up with blood on our hands, and to ask ourselves what this world really does hide behind closed doors. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Feb 14, 2014 |
for Bruce Taylor
ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE, is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Chemical Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First and is in print large enough to be seen from the backseat of the cab as it lurches forward in the traffic leaving Wall Street and just as Timothy Price notices the words a bus pulls up, the advertisement for Les Misérables on its side blocking the view, but Price who is with Pierce & Pierce and twenty-six doesn't seem to care because he tells the driver he will give him five dollars to turn up the radio, "Be My Baby" on WYNN, and the driver, black, not American, does so.
And if another round of Bellinis comes within a twenty-foot radius of this table we are going to set the maitre d' on fire. So you know, warn him. - Timothy Price
"Beat the shit out of him," the girl suggests, pointing at me. "Oh honey," I say, shaking my head, "the things I could do to you with a coat hanger."

Now a major motion picture from Lion's Gate Films starring Christian Bale (Metroland), Chloe Sevigny (The Last Days of Disco), Jared Leto (My So Called Life), and Reese Witherspoon (Cruel Intentions), and directed by Mary Harron (I Shot Andy Warhol).

In American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis imaginatively explores the incomprehensible depths of madness and captures the insanity of violence in our time or any other. Patrick Bateman moves among the young and trendy in 1980s Manhattan. Young, handsome, and well educated, Bateman earns his fortune on Wall Street by day while spending his nights in ways we cannot begin to fathom. Expressing his true self through torture and murder, Bateman prefigures an apocalyptic horror that no society could bear to confront.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:42 -0400)

In a black satire of the eighties, a decade of naked greed and unparalleled callousness, a successful Wall Street yuppie cannot get enough of anything, including murder. In American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis imaginatively explores the incomprehensible depths of madness and captures the insanity of violence in our time or any other. Patrick Bateman moves among the young and trendy in 1980s Manhattan. Young, handsome, and well educated, Bateman earns his fortune on Wall Street by day, while spending his nights in ways we cannot begin to fathom. Expressing his true self through torture and murder, Bateman prefigures an apocalyptic horror that no society could bear to confront.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,565,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible