The Cruise of the Snark by Jack London

The Cruise of the Snark (1908)

by Jack London

French (1)  Spanish (1)  English (1)  All languages (3)
London and his wife build a yacht called ‘The Snark’ (after the Lewis Carroll poem) and after some delays they set off with a small crew to sail across the south Pacific, setting out from San Francisco in April 1907. This account charts their voyage and the adventures and mishaps they had along the way.

I read this as part of my ‘decades’ challenge, but I’m afraid for me it really didn’t live up to expectations. I found the bit about the leper colony in Molokai to be very interesting, but I also found large parts of it rather dull and it took me a while to read as it was one of those books that became a chore – I’m certain I would have given up if it wasn’t for the challenge. It did improve towards the end, but overall it wasn’t the best reading experience for me – but if I haven’t put you off it is free to download online in various formats!
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |

In this classic by a master of the adventure story, Jack London describes his around the world attempt by sail, which was inspired by the examples of his heroes Herman Melville, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Joshua Slocum. He sailed out from San Francisco, writing constantly and produces this series of sketches recording the voyage itself. These pieces, collected together, he called The Cruise of the Snark. The writings reveal London’s extraordinary love of adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:02 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible