Brighton Rock (Penguin Classics Deluxe…

Brighton Rock (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) (original 1938; edition 2004)

by Graham Greene, J. M. Coetzee (Introduction)

3,396None1,583 (3.78)242
Member:cvjacobs
Title:Brighton Rock (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Authors:Graham Greene
Other authors:J. M. Coetzee (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2004), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Gotham reading list

Brighton Rock by Graham Greene (1938)

1001 (30) 1001 books (35) 1930s (38) 20th century (84) brighton (49) British (78) British fiction (28) British literature (57) Catholicism (24) classic (36) classics (24) crime (93) England (61) English (40) English fiction (19) English literature (54) fiction (565) Folio Society (21) gangs (50) Graham Greene (23) Greene (16) literature (72) murder (46) mystery (21) novel (113) read (43) thriller (27) to-read (38) UK (21) unread (23)

English (57)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
This is the paperback. I have the hardback as well
  SteveJohnson | Mar 30, 2014 |
As with all Graham Greene novels, totally totally depressing. According to my writing instructor, this is the first depiction of a psychopath in literature, though I think Poe preceded him with his books.
A story so well-written you can endure the endless groups of horrible characters all of whom are hideous in one way or another, none of whom ever share an unmixed laugh.
Not to be read at night or when suffering a depressive bout. But well worth a contemplative read when the sun is shining and you have lots of lovely company about.
I'm not in the right frame of mind and protected only by a "fierce" poodle, so I didn't finish it. I just knew it was going to end badly, for everyone. Still, I suppose, like dental flossing, it is good for you. ( )
  Dabble58 | Jan 1, 2014 |
Graham Greene's usual fare - good and evil, the extremities of 'Catholics' (e.g., I would guess, Baudelaire), journalists, the banality of innocence - in a British context rather than a colonial one. I don't know if this isn't as good as P&G, The Heart of the Matter and The End of the Affair, or if I just didn't like it as much because it was a bit too long and I'm not particularly interested in crime. If anyone could get me interested, it might be Pinkie and Rose, true. But all of Greene's blinding flaws are here too - supremely unlikely actions that are meant to demonstrate the innocence of a character but which really just grind the narrative gears; dull descriptive passages which are meant to produce atmosphere but actually just make the book less intense than it could have been etc etc... And they seem much more intrusive in this book than in some of his others. Still, well worth a read. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
I wish I had read this before seeing a film version, because the climax would have been more intense if I'd had no idea how it would turn out. Because the film version I saw wasn't 100% true to the book, the element of suspense wasn't completely ruined. Still, this is a very good book, and reading it has kicked up my desire to read more Greene. ( )
  tercat | Nov 19, 2013 |
A great book, as you would expect from one of the great writers of the 20th century. Engrossing, sometimes gripping, and often thought-provoking. I gave it four stars instead of five because there were times towards the end when it lagged just a little compared to earlier in the book. It would have been more powerful if it had been a little shorter. ( )
  augustusgump | Aug 20, 2013 |
This is no book for those who would turn delicate noses away from the gutters and sewers of life; but there is nothing that could give the faintest gratification to snickerers. If it is as downright as surgery, it is, also, as clean as a clinic. There is not an entirely admirable character in it; but there is not one that can, by any chance, be forgotten nor one that could be set aside as untrue to life.

Why does this bleak, seething and anarchic novel still resonate? Its energy and power is that of the rebellious adolescent, foreshadowing the rise of the cult of youth in the latter part of the 20th century. And while Catholicism may have given way to secularism, Pinkie ultimately realises that hell isn't located in some distant realm: it's right here, present on earth, all around us.

Greene, Grahamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tainio, TaunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vernet, Maria TeresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SamuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'This were a fine reign:
To do ill and not hear of it again.'
THE WITCH OF EDMONTON
Hale knew, before he had been in Brighton three hours, that they meant to murder him.
Hale knew they meant to murder him before he had been in Brighton three hours. [1956 ed.]
young men kept on arriving in huge motoring coats accompanied by small tinted creatures, who rang like expensive glass when they were touched but who conveyed an impression of being as sharp and tough as tin.

Bookplate: "From the library of Graham Greene"
Flap folder on inside back cover containing cut down dust jacket back and flap

Graham Greene's chilling exposé of violence and gang warfare in the pre-war underworld is a classic of its kind.

Pinkie, the teenage gangster, is devoid of compassion or human feeling, despising weakness of the spirit or of the flesh. Responsible for the razor slashes that killed Kite and also for the death of Hale, he is the embodiment of calculated evil. As a Catholic, however, he is convinced that his retribution does not lie in human hands.

He is therefore not prepared for Ida Arnold, Hale's avenging angel. Ida, whose allegiance is with life, the here and now, has her own ideas about the circumstances surrounding Hale's death. For the sheer joy of it she takes up the challenge of bringing the infernal Pinkie to an earthly kind of justice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:04 -0400)

In this classic novel of murder and menace, Graham Greene lays bare the soul of a boy of seventeen who stalks Brighton's tawdry boardwalk with apathy on his face and murder in his heart. Pinkie, the boy with death at his fingertips, is not just bad, he worships in the temple of evil, just as his parents worshipped in the house of God. Crime, in his dark mind, is a release so deep and satisfying that he has no need for drink or women or the love of his fellows. He is an astounding character, sinister and fascinating. -- From the cover.… (more)

Legacy Library: Graham Greene

Graham Greene has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Graham Greene's legacy profile.

See Graham Greene's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible