Brighton Rock (Twentieth Century Classics)…

Brighton Rock (Twentieth Century Classics) (original 1938; edition 1991)

by Graham Greene

Title:Brighton Rock (Twentieth Century Classics)
Authors:Graham Greene
Info:Penguin Classics (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages

Brighton Rock by Graham Greene (1938)

English (61)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (66)
Without doubt the most miserable, sordid, depressing book I have ever read. I read it at school about 40 years ago and have never even opened anything by Graham Greene since. ( )
  gwhittick | Jun 25, 2015 |
The sinister Pinkie vs. the good-hearted Ida. Guess who wins? I do like the way the book closes though....Read May 2015 while on SW Coast Path ( )
  untraveller | May 29, 2015 |
This was the fourth or fifth book I've read by Greene. It's been a couple years since the last one, but I still really enjoy him. This book had giant characters, but they didn't seem ridiculous in Greene's masterful hands. And the ending of this book was just amazing. It's not often that I physically react while reading a book, but the ending...eyes wide, and I may have said, "No!" out loud... ( )
  Sean191 | Apr 12, 2015 |
I probably shouldn't have tried reading this on the bus. It is not suited for quick spurts of reading scattered throughout the day. It requires getting stuck in and giving it your full attention. I did enjoy the first couple of chapters -- it was utterly chilling to be following Hale around as he tried desperately to avoid being killed, and then to follow boy-genius-gang-leader Pinkie as he set about covering up the crime. At one point I thought "Wow, this kid gives Alex from A Clockwork Orange a run for his money." But then the book meandered into Catholicism, and good and evil vs. right and wrong, and it was only through major struggle that I actually managed to finish the book and not look up the ending. Later I did read some reviews and could see where the book would have merit as something to ponder and discuss, but that's not what I had expected it to be. I'd expected something more along the lines of A Gun for Sale (still my favourite of Greene's "entertainments") and my expectations were probably not realistic.

Overall I think I'd much rather see the Richard Attenborough movie. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 31, 2015 |
Graham Greene is one of my favorite authors but try as I might, I could not get into this book. I felt too many steps removed from the action to follow what was happening or to have any sort of connection with the characters. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 18, 2014 |
This is no book for those who would turn delicate noses away from the gutters and sewers of life; but there is nothing that could give the faintest gratification to snickerers. If it is as downright as surgery, it is, also, as clean as a clinic. There is not an entirely admirable character in it; but there is not one that can, by any chance, be forgotten nor one that could be set aside as untrue to life.
Why does this bleak, seething and anarchic novel still resonate? Its energy and power is that of the rebellious adolescent, foreshadowing the rise of the cult of youth in the latter part of the 20th century. And while Catholicism may have given way to secularism, Pinkie ultimately realises that hell isn't located in some distant realm: it's right here, present on earth, all around us.

Greene, Grahamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tainio, TaunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vernet, Maria TeresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SamuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'This were a fine reign:
To do ill and not hear of it again.'
Hale knew, before he had been in Brighton three hours, that they meant to murder him.
Hale knew they meant to murder him before he had been in Brighton three hours. [1956 ed.]
young men kept on arriving in huge motoring coats accompanied by small tinted creatures, who rang like expensive glass when they were touched but who conveyed an impression of being as sharp and tough as tin.

Bookplate: "From the library of Graham Greene"
Flap folder on inside back cover containing cut down dust jacket back and flap

Graham Greene's chilling exposé of violence and gang warfare in the pre-war underworld is a classic of its kind.

Pinkie, the teenage gangster, is devoid of compassion or human feeling, despising weakness of the spirit or of the flesh. Responsible for the razor slashes that killed Kite and also for the death of Hale, he is the embodiment of calculated evil. As a Catholic, however, he is convinced that his retribution does not lie in human hands.

He is therefore not prepared for Ida Arnold, Hale's avenging angel. Ida, whose allegiance is with life, the here and now, has her own ideas about the circumstances surrounding Hale's death. For the sheer joy of it she takes up the challenge of bringing the infernal Pinkie to an earthly kind of justice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:08 -0400)

In this classic novel of murder and menace, Graham Greene lays bare the soul of a boy of seventeen who stalks Brighton's tawdry boardwalk with apathy on his face and murder in his heart. Pinkie, the boy with death at his fingertips, is not just bad, he worships in the temple of evil, just as his parents worshipped in the house of God. Crime, in his dark mind, is a release so deep and satisfying that he has no need for drink or women or the love of his fellows. He is an astounding character, sinister and fascinating. -- From the cover.… (more)

Graham Greene is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,950,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible