dismiss

The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn by Colin…

The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn (original 1977; edition 1979)

by Colin Dexter

Series: Morse (3)

"Morse had never ceased to wonder why, with the staggering advances in medical science, all pronouncements concerning times of death seemed so disconcertingly vague." The murder of a deaf academic in his North Oxford home is the start of a formidably labyrinthine case for Chief Inspector Morse as he tries to track down the killer through the insular and bitchy world of the Oxford colleges...… (more)
Member:anabernathy
Title:The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn
Authors:Colin Dexter
Info:Pan (1979), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback

The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn by Colin Dexter (1977)

English (20)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
a deaf teacher learns of exam scam
  ritaer | Apr 22, 2020 |
The Silent World Of Nicholas Quinn (1977) (Insp. Morse #3) by Colin Dexter. While it seems that the college cheating scandal that enamored the nation just a few short months ago has managed to disappear from the news, Colin Dexter has captured the essentials within this novel. While he didn’t quite envision what has happened here in the colonies, the heart of the matter shines through.
There is an Oxford Examinations Syndicate which runs, validates and verifies school testing in many places throughout the realm of British influence. One of the latest additions to the staff is the deaf Nicholas Quinn, who not only lipreads but manages to get himself killed. Morse and Lewis are soon elbow deep in academics, another murder, and something happening at the local cinema where many of the involved have tickets to view “The Nymphomaniac”.
As usual in the novels, Morse leaps at many, many deductions and conclusions, but inevitably gets the culprit.
A little slow in spots, or perhaps I was just distracted by my wife Shelly modeling the latest virus mask she has sewn up.
Stay together staying apart. ( )
  TomDonaghey | Apr 10, 2020 |
This, the third of Dexter’s Morse novels, shows more depth in the writing style compared to the first two novels, and much more development of Morse’s character. ( )
  TheEllieMo | Jan 18, 2020 |
This Inspector Morse installment was a vast improvement over the previous one, and I suspect the novels will continue to get better in both plot and characterization. Morse is still trying to ply his assistant Lewis with beer and sherry and excursions to a few blue movies, but it's not without its critique, as Lewis notes that Morse can be needlessly crude at times. It is 1977 Oxford after all, where sexism is both a town and gown preoccupation. ( )
  Virginia-A | Dec 21, 2016 |
The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn by Colin Dexter is part of the Inspector Morse books, a series that I hadn’t read in some time. This particular book was originally published in 1977 and it’s style is reminds one of detective stories written in the 1940s and 50s. The reader is not privy to the inner workings of Inspector Morse’s mind, we are rather his audience that he plays to, announcing the murderer and his methods at the end of the book. We also learn very little of his private life away from the actual job of detecting.

Set in the university town of Oxford, this case deals with the Foreign Examination Board and the murder of one it’s appointees. Somehow, Morse decides that the murderer must be one of the small group of people who work there, and so most of the book is about this small academic organization. Along the way there is a secondary murder, and the book is rife with red herrings and a few twists to keep the reader guessing.

Personally, I am not sure whether I will continue with this series, I didn’t find Morse particularly likeable or sympathetic. The story was very well written, but some of the very characteristics that I enjoy in the Inspector Frost books by R.D. Wingfield, I found intolerable here. I missed the tongue-in-cheek humor which helps to offset the rudeness and arrogance. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 10, 2016 |
for Jack Ashley
"Well?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,652,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible