Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in…

Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West (original 1985; edition 1992)

by Cormac McCarthy (Author)

Based on incidents that took place in the southwestern United States and Mexico around 1850, this novel chronicles the crimes of a band of desperados, with a particular focus on one, "the kid," a boy of fourteen.
Member:EileenConnon
Title:Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West
Authors:Cormac McCarthy (Author)
Info:Vintage (1992), 368 pages

Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy (1985)

Moby Dick by Herman Melville (dmsteyn)
    dmsteyn: Judge Holden's character was based on the monomaniacal Captain Ahab of Melville's novel.
    Othello by William Shakespeare (Steve.Gourley)
    Steve.Gourley: Compare the philosophy of Judge Holden to Iago
    Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: contrast Blood Meridian to Cather's moving, more gentle tale of honorable wanderings of priests in new mexico in 1850's
    All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (sturlington)
    Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry (WSB7)
    WSB7: Strong perspectival imagery overhanging(pursuing?)a doomed hero.
    Far Bright Star by Robert Olmstead (TheRavenking)
    The Life and Times of Captain N. by Douglas J. Glover (Sethgsamuel)
    Sethgsamuel: Shamelessly violent, very poetic and beautiful western.
1980s (9)
To Read (147)

English (215)  Italian (4)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (227)
I was so looking forward to this novel. I had heard so much about it. When it was done, when I had put the book down, I had the impression that [a: Cormac McCarthy|4178|Cormac McCarthy|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1553707165p2/4178.jpg] had accomplished something immense, something grand, something impressive. But not something I enjoyed that much.

Oh, I enjoyed some of it. Especially the last third.That's just it. There were parts I really did like. And there were times where the language left me spellbound.

Landscapes. Too often this book was about moving from one place to another through country that [a: Cormac McCarthy|4178|Cormac McCarthy|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1553707165p2/4178.jpg] does a wonderful job of describing; much of that country is gone forever. But [a: Cormac McCarthy|4178|Cormac McCarthy|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1553707165p2/4178.jpg] takes us through it as if we were there. Landscapes and countryside. In a different time. If that was all the book was, would you read it? I wouldn't.

Violence. The violence didn't bother me. It is amazing that [a: Cormac McCarthy|4178|Cormac McCarthy|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1553707165p2/4178.jpg] can describe these violent scenes such that the violence appears more vivid and gruesome than if I was watching it on TV or in a movie. How does he do that? The first two-thirds of the book feels like you are moving from one violent scene through the landscapes to another violent scene.

Caricatures versus characters. I never felt I met anyone of depth. They seemed cartoonish. Interesting, initially, but nothing to hold my attention. I don't need to like the characters. In fact, sometimes it is the character I dislike that holds me the strongest. There were no layers. I know a lot of readers were intrigued by the Judge. I became bored with him.

And yet, the novel is done. Put aside. And I am still thinking about it. I am still thinking about the Judge's attitude toward the Kid. Why certain events went the way they did. Mulling over what I did not understand. So Blood Meridian has left its mark. I will not forget it soon. ( )
  afkendrick | Oct 24, 2020 |
While a violent novel, Blood Meridian is also poetic. It is in some sense a heroic journey while being a sort of anti-western with Dantean overtones. ( )
  jwhenderson | Oct 15, 2020 |
I had this on my radar for a while, but a book conversation with a doctor during an interview for an article that wasn't about books had me move it to the top of my list. I think Cormac McCarthy's brutality makes Chuck Palahniuk seem tame. While the characters are horrible with no redemption and no effort to make them sympathetic, the writing is phenomenal. McCarthy takes you on a journey - should you choose to go along - and points out the horror and the beauty in the horror every step of the way. This novel also provides in the Judge, one of the greatest literary villains I've ever encountered. ( )
  Sean191 | Sep 27, 2020 |
Started out with a lot of potential to be something interesting, but it eventually devolves into vignettes of pointless depravity. At least 75% of this book can be summed up with "Glanton and his gang do a lot of bad things and kill people for no reason, look how terrible they are!" I got about two thirds of the way through before I got bored and had to put it down. If this is supposed to be McCarthy's magnum opus then I'll happily stay clear of his other works. ( )
1 vote schpingle | Sep 26, 2020 |
An visceral and relentless journey into the wild, wild, wild west, where blood is the title, blood is the tale, in a land where the bad that's in you runs right through you. Another masterpiece from a brilliant author. ( )
  ephemeral_future | Aug 20, 2020 |
This latest book is his most important, for it puts in perspective the Faulknerian language and unprovoked violence running through the previous works, which were often viewed as exercises in style or studies of evil. ''Blood Meridian'' makes it clear that all along Mr. McCarthy has asked us to witness evil not in order to understand it but to affirm its inexplicable reality; his elaborate language invents a world hinged between the real and surreal, jolting us out of complacency.
added by eereed | editNew York Times, Caryn James (Apr 28, 1985)

Cormac McCarthyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bloom, HaroldIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montanari, RaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sivill, KaijamariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Your ideas are terrifying and your hearts are faint. Your acts of pity and cruelty are absurd, committed with no calm, as if they were irresistible. Finally, you fear blood more and more. Blood and time.

-- Paul Valery
It is not to be thought that the life of darkness is sunk in misery and lost as if in sorrowing. There is no sorrowing. For sorrow is a thing that is swallowed up in death, and death and dying are the very life of the darkness.

-- Jacob Boehme
Clark, who led last year's expedition to the Afar region of northern Ethiopia, and UC Berkeley colleague Tim D. White, also said that a re-examination of a 300,000-year-old fossil skull found in the same region earlier shows evidence of having been scalped.

-- The Yuma Daily Sun, June 13, 1982
The author wishes to thank the Lyndhurst Foundation, the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. He also wishes to express his appreciation to Albert Erskine, his editor of twenty years.
See the child.
It was a lone tree burning on the desert. A heraldic tree that the passing storm had left afire. The solitary pilgrim drawn up before it had traveled far to be here and he knelt in the hot sand and held his numbed hands out while all about in that circle attended companies of lesser auxiliaries routed forth into the inordinate day, small owls that crouched silently and stood from foot to foot and tarantulas and solpugas and vinegarroons and the vicious mygale spiders and beaded lizards with mouths black as a chowdog’s, deadly to man, and the little desert basilisks that jet blood from their eyes and the small sandvipers like seemly gods, silent and the same, in Jeda, in Babylon. A constellation of ignited eyes that edged the ring of light all bound in a precarious truce before this torch whose brightness had set back the stars in their sockets.
The men as they rode turned black in the sun from the blood on their clothes and their faces and then paled slowly in the rising dust until they assumed once more the color of the land through which they passed.
A man's at odds to know his mind cause his mind is aught he has to know it with. He can know his heart, but he dont want to. Rightly so. Best not to look in there. It aint the heart of a creature that is bound in the way that God has set for it. You can find meanness in the least of creatures, but when God made man the devil was at his elbow. A creature that can do anything. Make a machine. And a machine to make the machine. And evil that can run itself a thousand years, no need to tend it. You believe that?
Every man in the company claims to have encountered that sootysouled rascal in some other place.
But dont draw me, said Webster. For I dont want in your book.

Blood Meridian chronicles the brutal world of the Texas-Mexico borderlands in the mid-nineteenth century. Its wounded hero, the teenage Kid, must confront the extraordinary violence of the Glanton gang, a murderous cadre on an official mission to scalp Indians and sell those scalps.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,546,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible