Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

No Country for Old Men (2005)

by Cormac McCarthy

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    Sunset and Sawdust by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    A Simple Plan by Scott Smith (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are books in which found money leads to unexpected, horrific consequences.
    A Single Shot by Matthew F. Jones (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: We all think money will solve our problems. Sometimes money creates problems . . . especialy when it's other peoples' money.
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (derelicious)
    The Nightrunners by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy (cometahalley)
    Descent by Tim Johnston (sturlington)
    sturlington: The authors have similar styles, and both thrillers explore questions of fate and chance.

English (223)  Italian (9)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (241)
My father used to tell me no good deed goes unpunished. Moss stumbles upon a drug deal gone bad and opportunistically grabs the cash. He consciously makes the risky decision to return to the scene to give a dying man water then spends the rest of the novel running for his life. McCarthy distills truths about human nature culminating in the conclusion that everyone is fighting the good fight - however they view it through the lenses of their experiences. Which is rather terrifying.

"You think when you wake up in the mornin yesterday dont count. But yesterday is all that does count. What else is there? Your life is made out of the days it's made out of. Nothin else. You might think you could run away and change your name. Start over. And then one mornin you wake up and look at the ceilin and guess who's layin there? Every step you take is forever." ( )
  dandelionroots | Jun 17, 2019 |
Sehr stimmungsvoll, aber der Film war sogar besser. Es gibt eine Aussage, aber welche?
Eine böse Welt. Ich bin froh, dass ich dort nicht leben muss. ( )
  volumed42 | May 1, 2019 |
This is a cruel, cruel novel. The presentation of the larger-than-life antagonist at the beggining of the book makes sure that you know the game is rigged for the "hero". Chigurh is unstoppable, like Death itself. Chigurh is just one of this new and rotten earth's children, and we can see the decay of our modern society through old Bell's eyes.
Also, the way the book is written gets so close to spoken language that you can almost feel that thick southern accent in your ear (wich is not by any means an easy thing).
Amazing read. ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |
So good! I've read a few of McCarthy's other books and this has been my favourite. I love the setting, it is always an interesting one, and I love a story with a Stetson. But, yeah, great characters that are fun to watch what they do next in their hyper-methodical ways. ( )
  Zaccer | Jan 2, 2019 |
  Zaccer | Jan 2, 2019 |
All that keeps No Country for Old Men from being a deftly executed but meretricious thriller is the presence, increasingly confused and ineffectual as the novel proceeds, of the sheriff of Comanche County, one of the "old men" alluded to in the title.

"No Country for Old Men" is an unholy mess of a novel, which one could speculate will be a bitter disappointment to many of those eager fans. It is an unwieldy klutz that pretends to be beach reading while dressed in the garments of serious literature (not that those are necessarily mutually exclusive concepts). It is a thriller that is barely thrilling and a tepid effort to reclaim some of the focus and possibly the audience of McCarthy's most reader-friendly novel, "All the Pretty Horses." Worst of all, it reads like a story you wished Elmore Leonard had written -- or rather, in this case, rewritten.

Mr. McCarthy turns the elaborate cat-and-mouse game played by Moss and Chigurh and Bell into harrowing, propulsive drama, cutting from one frightening, violent set piece to another with cinematic economy and precision. In fact, ''No Country for Old Men'' would easily translate to the big screen so long as Bell's tedious, long-winded monologues were left on the cutting room floor -- a move that would also have made this a considerably more persuasive novel.

In the literary world the appearance of a new Cormac McCarthy novel is a cause for celebration. It has been seven years since his Cities of the Plain, and McCarthy has made the wait worthwhile. With a title that makes a statement about Texas itself, McCarthy offers up a vision of awful power and waning glory, like a tale told by a hermit emerging from the desert, a biblical Western from a cactus-pricked Ancient Mariner.

Cormac McCarthy's ''No Country for Old Men'' is as bracing a variation on these noir orthodoxies as any fan of the genre could expect, although his admirers may not be sure at first about quite how to take the book, which doesn't bend its genre or transcend it but determinedly straightens it back out.
added by eereed | editNew York Times, Walter Kirn (Jun 24, 2005)

Cormac McCarthyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barrett, SeanNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murillo Fort, LuisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Testa, MartinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The author would like to express his appreciation to the Santa Fe Institute for his long association and his four-year residence. He would also like to thank Amanda Urban.
I sent one boy to the gaschamber at Huntsville.
If you had told me we'd end up in a world with kids with green hair and bones in their noses I would have laughed in your face. But here it is.

Set along the United States–Mexico border in 1980, the story concerns an illicit drug deal gone wrong in a remote desert location.

In No Country for Old Men, Cormac McCarthy simultaneously strips down the American crime novel and broadens its concerns to encompass themes as ancient as the Bible and as bloodily contemporary as this morning’s headlines.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Stumbling upon a bloody massacre, a cache of heroin, and more than two million in cash during a hunting trip, Llewelyn Moss removes the money, a decision that draws him and his young wife into the middle of a violent confrontation.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,492,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible