No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

No Country for Old Men (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Cormac McCarthy

Member:Veej53
Title:No Country for Old Men
Authors:Cormac McCarthy
Info:Vintage (2006), Paperback, 309 pages
Collections:Your library, 25-book List A, Read 2011
Tags:Fiction - Literary

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (2005)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    A Single Shot by Matthew F. Jones (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: We all think money will solve our problems. Sometimes money creates problems . . . especialy when it's other peoples' money.
    The Nightrunners by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    Sunset and Sawdust by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    A Simple Plan by Scott Smith (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are books in which found money leads to unexpected, horrific consequences.
    Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy (cometahalley)
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (derelicious)

English (175)  Italian (6)  Dutch (3)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (189)
No slow start in this thriller – the murder of a deputy and escape of a sadistic killer; the fortuitous find by the hunter, Moss, amidst the corps of a Mexican drugs war gone wrong; propels the reader into the heart of the action immediately. But then Moss makes a stupid decision, and the hunter becomes the hunted.

The writing style is spare, with short clipped sentences that help to keep the action moving apace.

Sheriff Bell is investigating the deaths, which are occurring all over the state, and he is trying to get to Moss before the sadistic killer does. He appears to have an affinity for Moss and his young wife, Carla Jean, it could be because they remind him of himself and his wife when they were younger. But as the gruesome end unfolds, we learn that Sheriff Bell carries a secret, he made an error of judgment when he was younger and it has haunted him all his life, and he wants to save Moss and Carla Jean from making a similar error.

I enjoyed the novel, but I think the film was better, mainly because whilst a film can be carried by plot and action, I think a novel needs to be carried by a stronger theme throughout. The theme which links Moss’ actions to actions taken by Sheriff Bell when he was younger feels tagged on near the end. A week after finishing this book I wasn’t still thinking about the theme in the way I did when I read The Road by the same author. ( )
  George_Hamilton | Sep 12, 2014 |
I wish they offered the option of half stars. I do love this book. I admire the writing and would be the proudest person on earth if I had written this. I had a couple issues with it...and they are my problem, not the books. (Written dialects can give me a headache.) I wish I could give it 4 1/2 stars...that would be more accurate for me, but we work with the tools we are given. ( )
  Pegasi | Sep 11, 2014 |
McCarthy has a distinct, non-nonsense style of language that I appreciate very much. It captures the desolate west where his novels often take place. ( )
  Brior | Aug 29, 2014 |
Ken Watson once told me that "As I Lay Dying" was Faulkner Light. And I think he'd agree with me that this book is McCarthy Light. The plotting is stupendous though. The final scene of the falling action is perfect. ( )
  jtodd1973 | Aug 26, 2014 |
Spare story of a man who finds a bundle of drug money in the desert and winds up on the lam from an oddball assassin. Great dialogue. The book is marred by a plot twist as nonsensical as it is pivotal. ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
All that keeps No Country for Old Men from being a deftly executed but meretricious thriller is the presence, increasingly confused and ineffectual as the novel proceeds, of the sheriff of Comanche County, one of the "old men" alluded to in the title.

"No Country for Old Men" is an unholy mess of a novel, which one could speculate will be a bitter disappointment to many of those eager fans. It is an unwieldy klutz that pretends to be beach reading while dressed in the garments of serious literature (not that those are necessarily mutually exclusive concepts). It is a thriller that is barely thrilling and a tepid effort to reclaim some of the focus and possibly the audience of McCarthy's most reader-friendly novel, "All the Pretty Horses." Worst of all, it reads like a story you wished Elmore Leonard had written -- or rather, in this case, rewritten.

Mr. McCarthy turns the elaborate cat-and-mouse game played by Moss and Chigurh and Bell into harrowing, propulsive drama, cutting from one frightening, violent set piece to another with cinematic economy and precision. In fact, ''No Country for Old Men'' would easily translate to the big screen so long as Bell's tedious, long-winded monologues were left on the cutting room floor -- a move that would also have made this a considerably more persuasive novel.

In the literary world the appearance of a new Cormac McCarthy novel is a cause for celebration. It has been seven years since his Cities of the Plain, and McCarthy has made the wait worthwhile. With a title that makes a statement about Texas itself, McCarthy offers up a vision of awful power and waning glory, like a tale told by a hermit emerging from the desert, a biblical Western from a cactus-pricked Ancient Mariner.

Cormac McCarthy's ''No Country for Old Men'' is as bracing a variation on these noir orthodoxies as any fan of the genre could expect, although his admirers may not be sure at first about quite how to take the book, which doesn't bend its genre or transcend it but determinedly straightens it back out.
added by eereed | editNew York Times, Walter Kirn (Jun 24, 2005)

Cormac McCarthyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Testa, MartinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The author would like to express his appreciation to the Santa Fe Institute for his long association and his four-year residence. He would also like to thank Amanda Urban.
I sent one boy to the gaschamber at Huntsville.
If you had told me we'd end up in a world with kids with green hair and bones in their noses I would have laughed in your face. But here it is.
Set along the United States–Mexico border in 1980, the story concerns an illicit drug deal gone wrong in a remote desert location.

In No Country for Old Men, Cormac McCarthy simultaneously strips down the American crime novel and broadens its concerns to encompass themes as ancient as the Bible and as bloodily contemporary as this morning’s headlines.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:38 -0400)

Stumbling upon a bloody massacre, a cache of heroin, and more than two million in cash during a hunting trip, Llewelyn Moss removes the money, a decision that draws him and his young wife into the middle of a violent confrontation.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,974,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible