The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia…

The Talented Mr. Ripley (original 1955; edition 2008)

by Patricia Highsmith

Member:hiddenpunk
Title:The Talented Mr. Ripley
Authors:Patricia Highsmith
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:Highsmith, American, Thriller, 20th Century, Ripley, fiction

The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (1955)

As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann (1Owlette)
    1Owlette: Similarities in the unreliable perspective and opacity of the main characters, who also share common ground in their sexual and violent tendencies. In other ways, these are very different reads, with Highsmith adopting a very detached, effectively estranging tone for Ripley. As Meat Loves Salt, moreover, covers a much broader canvas.… (more)
    The Man Who Watched Trains Go By by Georges Simenon (thatguyzero)
    The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (JuliaMaria)
    The Lying Tongue by Andrew Wilson (jonathankws)
    Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Both Oscar and Ripley are afraid of water
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Wova4)
    Wova4: The GwtDT reminded me of the character Ripley, who is very much a morally ambiguous protagonist with a complicated psychology.

English (99)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (110)
This is one of those books I've always meant to get around to reading but rarely do. Tom Ripley is an unlikable character from the beginning, but that does not make for an unlikable book. He is devious and without morals, and no one to have as a friend.

This book does start out a little slowly, and it took awhile for me to get into the story. Tom is sent to bring home a friend, Dickie, at the request of Dickie's father. Of course, there is something for Tom to gain, or he would never have agreed.

While the book does move a bit slowly throughout, it is interesting to see how tangled this particular web gets, and the end cries for a sequel. Because this is an older book, we know that cry was answered.

Good solid entertainment, I can see why this book has retained its popularity. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Apr 25, 2016 |
I’ve never read anything by Patricia Highsmith, and, in general, I’m not a reader of murder mysteries or crime novels. But I’ve been making an effort to branch out a bit in my reading life. And I decided to start with Highsmith’s first novel (published in 1955). I had a great time reading the book and think it’s a pretty amazing psychological crime novel. I liked the language, the straightforward, rather unadorned prose, the narrative’s impeccable attention to detail, and the brilliant characterization. I enjoyed the dizzying machinations of Tom Ripley’s thought processes as he assumes one identity and then another (his own) and makes it all work, though sometimes just barely evading discovery and disaster. He is much happier impersonating Tom Ripley than being Tom Ripley. Fascinating. And it’s fascinating, too, to live in Tom’s head as he goes about his scheming, deception, and manipulation. I found the book quite a page-turner, and Tom a sociopath I could cheer on. Both Tom Ripley and Patricia Highsmith pulled off quite an astounding feat. Especially, in the case of Highsmith, given the time and social mores and judgments of the mid 1950s, when the book was written. I’ll be reading more Highsmith! ( )
1 vote toniclark | Mar 24, 2016 |
It just doesn't get any better than this. A++++++++ ( )
  bostonbibliophile | Feb 6, 2016 |
This book is gripping and very dark. Despite his crimes I inadvertently found myself rooting for Ripley to get away with it all. Truly disturbing yet very clever, a great psychological crime story. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
The Talented Mr Ripley Patricia Highsmith
★★★

There is not a lot you can say about this without giving the story except some words of advice be careful who your friends are!

Tom Ripley is a man with a gift for numbers but not society, he is a shy loner who wants to escape what he views as his dull dreary life and is prepared to do anything to leave it behind.
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |

Highsmith, Patriciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prestini, Maria GraziaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, MelanieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tom glanced behind him and saw the man coming out of the Green Cage, heading his way.
Tom writhed in his deck chair as he thought of it, but he writhed elegantly, adjusting the crease of his trousers.

Plein Soleil is the French name for The Talented Mr. Ripley. A film version of the same name made in 1960 starred Alain Delon.
Tom's deadly passage
He wants to help Dickie now
Into the next life

(amweb)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679742298, Paperback)

One of the great crime novels of the 20th century, Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley is a blend of the narrative subtlety of Henry James and the self-reflexive irony of Vladimir Nabokov. Like the best modernist fiction, Ripley works on two levels. First, it is the story of a young man, Tom Ripley, whose nihilistic tendencies lead him on a deadly passage across Europe. On another level, the novel is a commentary on fictionmaking and techniques of narrative persuasion. Like Humbert Humbert, Tom Ripley seduces readers into empathizing with him even as his actions defy all moral standards.

The novel begins with a play on James's The Ambassadors. Tom Ripley is chosen by the wealthy Herbert Greenleaf to retrieve Greenleaf's son, Dickie, from his overlong sojourn in Italy. Dickie, it seems, is held captive both by the Mediterranean climate and the attractions of his female companion, but Mr. Greenleaf needs him back in New York to help with the family business. With an allowance and a new purpose, Tom leaves behind his dismal city apartment to begin his career as a return escort. But Tom, too, is captivated by Italy. He is also taken with the life and looks of Dickie Greenleaf. He insinuates himself into Dickie's world and soon finds that his passion for a lifestyle of wealth and sophistication transcends moral compunction. Tom will become Dickie Greenleaf--at all costs.

Unlike many modernist experiments, The Talented Mr. Ripley is eminently readable and is driven by a gripping chase narrative that chronicles each of Tom's calculated maneuvers of self-preservation. Highsmith was in peak form with this novel, and her ability to enter the mind of a sociopath and view the world through his disturbingly amoral eyes is a model that has spawned such latter-day serial killers as Hannibal Lecter. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:57 -0400)

The cunning schemes of a young American ne'er-do-well, who travels to Italy on an unusual assignment.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,136,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible