Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To…

Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier

by Terry Laughlin

It's very useful for learning drills to improve your swimming technique and to get inspired to swim for fitness to satisfy your own level, pace, and enjoyment. ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
This book is an ample description of the front crawl stroke (could be a bit longer) together with plea for a greater focus on technique and a lesser focus on endurance training in swimming (could be shorter). The book is written in an informal style.

In the technical part, the focus is on a few key aspects that the author considers essential for a good front crawl stroke. It is well explained why these key aspects are considered important. A set of progressive drills is recommended to implement these key aspects. The description of the drills is sometimes a bit unclear, especially since pictures are scarce (you shall buy the associated DVD). Also, the transition from the drills to the complete stroke is quite vague; in particular the book does not contain a detailed description of a complete stroke cycle.

The "plea-for-less-exhaustive-training" part contains a few interesting observations, e.g., a comparison of swimming and tennis training.

While I like the recommended drills and the unconventional/fresh approach of the author, I also think the book is at times presumptuous since it overstates the value of the drills. ( )
  Tobias.Bruell | Jul 13, 2014 |
I am very frustrated with the book; I've been practicing the Drills for several weeks now. I find the exercises very hard to do, it's a struggle to complete a lane (sometimes I give up and walk to the end, because I have been staring at the same tile for a minute) and I am very frustrathed with the TI way of swimming. For me, the drills and exercises just don't come together into a stroke I can swim. ( )
  aquascum | Jun 18, 2010 |
This book teaches front crawl, using a new, highly structured and technical method, which is easy to learn, fun and highly effective. The book is basically divided into three sections: the first 7 short chapters provide the background and theory to the approach; then chapter 8 gives you 6 lessons and multiple drills to move from very simple exercises to a full front crawl. The remaining short chapters gives general advice on fitness, strength and competitive swimming. Having gone through all six lessons now, I do feel far more confident in the water now, and my previously appalling front crawl technique is rapidly turning into something that feels sleek, efficient and fast. The book itself does a reasonable job of teaching you this, albeit with everything outside of chapter 8 somewhat repetitive, only cursory or just unnecessary ballast. I could have done with quite a few more diagrams to help me (the DVD is almost essential in addition to the book, I suggest - or at least check out some total immersion videos on youtube), and actually the drills could occasionally have been explained in more detail. But on the whole I found the book a useful, enjoyable channel to swimming far better. ( )
  RachDan | Aug 1, 2009 |
Total Immersion has made a dramatic impact on how I swim. The concepts, and drills were clear and easy to work through without even needing to see it done in person. All the questions I had about swimming from stretching and hydration to distances and form were all answered. ( )
  tyroeternal | Sep 18, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743253434, Paperback)

Masters swimmer and acclaimed coach Terry Laughlin has taught thousands to swim more efficiently in the workshops he has given across the United States. In his book Laughlin details simple, step-by-step drills emphasizing the importance of technique and an innovative workout regimen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:46 -0400)

Terry Laughlin's renowned 'Total Immersion' method fundamentally changes the way swimmers move their bodies through the water. This book provides a self-teaching programme based on Laughlin's thirty years of coaching.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,197,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible