Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston

Cemetery Dance (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:jnelson4
Title:Cemetery Dance
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2009), Edition: Second Printing, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Pendergast
Rating:*****

Cemetery dance by Douglas Preston (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, Bestine, BernJ, patbooks, GodlyReads, SnootyBaronet, Diane_K, ChristineEllei

English (54)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (60)
As usual I was not disappointed with this Pendergast mystery. It starts off fast paced and the twists and turns never stop. I was a little sad that one of my favorite characters was murdered (not saying which one so I don't spoil anything) but it didn't detract any from the story line.

Only Agent Pendergast can find himself trying to figure out murders maybe based in the occult or maybe not. All the evidence is leading to a cult located in New York. Animal activists are up in arms because of the animal sacrifices as well as neighbors.

D'Agosta who is the lead investigator pairs up with Agent Pendergast again to solve the unusual murders that are taking place - by people that are supposedly dead? ( )
  Diane_K | Jul 14, 2015 |
Another in the Aloysius Pendergast series. This pits Detective Pendergast against a voo-doo cult operating in the middle of NYC. It brings back some characters from previous books (Smithback, D'Agosta and even mentions Constance, so hopefully she'll be back in a following installment) and gives the reader a little more personal history of Aloysius and his youth in New Orleans. Murder, mayhem and magic abound so if you are a fan of the series you should read this book.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This story is 9th. in the Pendergast series. In this story he has a smaller part to play with the majority of action going to D'Agosta. The authors have joined the flavor of the moment with zombies and cults. No former members of the series are safe, and one is immediately murdered. By the end of the book, all is back to reality. I liked the descriptions laid out in the book, and the fast pace to keep you on the edge of your seat. ( )
  delta61 | Jun 22, 2015 |
This novel starts off with William Smithback, a New York Times reporter, being murdered in his apartment by a man who had died a week earlier. Adding to the fact that the murderer had the appearance of a zombie, it was easy to conclude that this was the work of a zombie. Later, a zombified Smithback kills another reporter. On the case is Pendergast, an FBI agent with a knack of tackling very bizarre cases, and Lieuntenant D’Agosta, your typical gritty New York city cop. All of this leads to a sinister cult that is operating in Manhattan that follow Obeah and vodou.

Although there is a certain level of intrigue in this novel, and there is an interesting whodunit element to it, the story itself is convoluted and hard to believe. By the time the action had completed, I still did not understand how everything went down. When Pendergast provides an explanation I could only roll my eyes. The characters’ actions were so far-fetched and the premises that they were working on were so preposterous that it was hard to take this novel seriously. Although there were elements of the novel that I enjoyed, I just couldn’t get past the over the top lapses in reality. This is a novel I would recommend skipping.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Mar 7, 2015 |
Six-word review: Yet another monster-chasing underground romp.

Extended review:

I'm becoming impressed with how many ways Preston and Child have found to bring a plot around to monsters and good guys chasing each other in dank, dark subterranean tunnels. The Jung and Vogler volumes on their bookshelves must be well-thumbed.

Like most of the others so far in the Pendergast series, book 9 has a slap-dash feel to it. How would you like to get paid for writing a sentence like this? "His mind reeled as yet again he tried to orient himself amid the endless props, his mind reeling from the pain." (page 544) (I often wonder how the division of labor works between coauthors. Who's nodding off while on duty when lines like that sneak by?)

Yet there's much to be said for attainable goals. The Pendergast stories don't promise much more than this: a mystery-thriller pairing a preternaturally gifted FBI agent with a down-to-earth human foil, both of them hot on the trail of some nefarious evildoer. There's usually a supernatural or seemingly supernatural element, and the plot will incorporate a throbbing social issue that adds a touch of gravitas, but nowhere is there a pretense of being lit'rachure. Unabashed, unapologetic page-turners don't get much better than this.

So I'm satisfied that I got my money's worth, which was $0.01 plus $3.99 shipping from Amazon Marketplace. By my measure, it was a bargain. ( )
  Meredy | Nov 19, 2014 |
I am starting to get to the 'enough is enough' point with the Pendergast novels. This is book nine in the series and it was too over-the-top.

Generally, I am pretty open to just about anything, including the un-dead (aka. Zombies) but this book just had too much of everything. The story was about 100 pages too long, had WAY too much detail in areas that didn't require it, areas that weren't important to the overall outcome of the story and it didn't have enough details in the areas that, I felt, deserved it. Also, I felt like the story was too jumpy... just when I was getting into a particular character/part of the story, it would flip to a different part and I would have to get into THAT part again. Ugg... sometimes that can be annoying!

However, for all the negative, there were some good parts... I really did enjoy the climax scenes in the book. The fight/the rescue, all great!! It became a page turner as the book neared the end and as a result, I will be adding book 10 to my 'to-be-read' list.

Overall, if you have read the books in this series, you will probably want to pick this one up as well but if you haven't, your life will go on without adding this one to your bookshelf!

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica

Douglas Preston dedicates this book to Karen Copeland
Can you believe it, Bill?

Pendergast-the world's most enigmatic FBI Special Agent-returns to New York City to investigate a murderous cult.

William Smithback, a New York Times reporter, and his wife Nora Kelly, a Museum of Natural History archaeologist, are brutally attacked in their apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Eyewitnesses claim, and the security camera confirms, that the assailant was their strange, sinister neighbor-a man who, by all reports, was already dead and buried weeks earlier. While Captain Laura Hayward leads the official investigation, Pendergast and Lieutenant Vincent D'Agosta undertake their own private-and decidedly unorthodox-quest for the truth. Their serpentine journey takes them to an enclave of Manhattan they never imagined could exist: a secretive, reclusive cult of Obeah and vodou which no outsiders have ever survived.

After New York Times reporter William Smithback and his wife Nora Kelly, a Museum of Natural History archaeologist, are brutally attacked in their apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Pendergast--the world's most enigmatic FBI Special Agent--returns to New York City to investigate a murderous Obeah cult.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,124,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible