Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston

Cemetery Dance (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:jnelson4
Title:Cemetery Dance
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2009), Edition: Second Printing, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Pendergast
Rating:*****

Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston (2009)

2009 (16) adventure (11) Agent Pendergast (22) animal sacrifice (9) audiobook (7) crime (13) crime fiction (7) cults (14) ebook (15) FBI (8) fiction (104) hardcover (8) horror (26) Kindle (10) Manhattan (8) murder (19) mystery (69) New York (18) New York City (17) Pendergast (66) Preston & Child (8) read (18) series (18) supernatural (12) suspense (30) thriller (93) to-read (15) unread (7) voodoo (28) zombies (32)

English (46)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (52)
Entertaining fluff - not the best writing, but if you just want some mindless fun it's ok. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
Can't stand the reader's (Rene Auberjonois) voice. Too nasally and whiny for me. Story was okay. ( )
  Storeetllr | Jan 5, 2014 |
Excellent story telling! If you like supernatural tales, with zombies and curses Revenant is for you. It is the sequel to Paskagankee, (which is also the name of the small town in Maine where this all takes place). Both stories are about murder in a small Maine town. The supernatural continues to create mayhem with the inhabitants, as forces are visited from the outside. The town’s people are for the most part, secluded from the usual perils of crime, the biggest danger is probably the drunkenness that is often seen in small desolate communities which struggle to survive. This far away, secluded corner of the world, is desired by those who want a place to hide away – thus the real tragedies begin when the outsiders bring with them supernatural elements. I don’t want to spoil the story, because this is a great one you should read. It is - Imaginative, well-paced and good character development. ( )
  ElisabethZguta | Nov 7, 2013 |
After four books in the Pendergast series to focus mainly on main character Special Agent Pendergast it's nice go back to basics so to speak. Unlike the previous books in the series Cemetery Dance is very similar to Relic and Reliquary.

Something strange is wandering through New York, maybe it's paranormal maybe it's something else. Pendergast takes on the case with Vinnie D'Agosta. A lot of other, familiar characters are back too although some only for a very short time.

Although the set-up of the story is very similar to the first three books it's a refreshing read after the Diogenes trilogy and Wheel of Darkness. Interestingly, no reference is made to what happened at the end of Wheel of Darkness, which was supposed to have changed Pendergast forever. This change isn't noticable in Cemetery Dance.

This isn't, however, a book for people who haven't read any of the other Pendergast books. The characters aren't really introduced and I can imagine it would be very confusing for new readers. ( )
  Rumpeltje | Sep 22, 2013 |
Although most, if not all, of the other reviews for this book contain a certain plot element without including a spoiler warning, I'm a little uncertain about doing so. I understand their likely reasoning - it's revealed in the inner flap of the book and occurs in the first few pages, but the shock I felt when opening up the cover and reading the newspaper clipping printed there, "William Smithback Jr., a prominent New York Time reporter, was killed in a brutal attack last night in his Upper West Side apartment," was so startling that I'd hate to take that away from other readers.

My first response was denial - no way did Preston and Child kill off Smithback. He's one of their original characters, introduced in Relic along with D'Agosta and Pendergast. No way did they do it and then reveal it in the book's synopsis without some sort of twist. It's a misdirection! At least twice they've given the illusion that someone was dead, only to find out that we'd been tricked. I was quite confident Smithback would be just fine.

By the time I got to the autopsy scene, where his organs were displayed around his opened corpse, I realized that no, our dear journalist has really left us.

#$@!

One reason I love the Preston/Child books so much is that they've crafted unique characters that I end up really attached to. This is the opposite of so many other thrillers (including, puzzlingly, their solo books). In the end, the reason for Smithback's death was so mundane that it was disappointing. We lost him so some rich dude can get richer? The rich dude's full plan, when finally revealed, seems too crazily far-fetched - too many things had to happen just right for it to have worked out. Being a fictional story, obviously everything DID happen right, but it required quite a bit of suspension of disbelief (go ahead and laugh - after everything that's happened in the Preston/Child books, THIS is what trips me up? I know, I know.)

I'm just lukewarm on this one, which is sad since, to me, new Preston/Child releases are akin to new Harry Potters. There are threads dropped within that are reasonably expected to lead to new ones (Nora's new expedition and the mysterious envelope Pendergast receives), so hopefully I'll go back to being a drooling fangirl in a year's time. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 21, 2013 |
I am starting to get to the 'enough is enough' point with the Pendergast novels. This is book nine in the series and it was too over-the-top.

Generally, I am pretty open to just about anything, including the un-dead (aka. Zombies) but this book just had too much of everything. The story was about 100 pages too long, had WAY too much detail in areas that didn't require it, areas that weren't important to the overall outcome of the story and it didn't have enough details in the areas that, I felt, deserved it. Also, I felt like the story was too jumpy... just when I was getting into a particular character/part of the story, it would flip to a different part and I would have to get into THAT part again. Ugg... sometimes that can be annoying!

However, for all the negative, there were some good parts... I really did enjoy the climax scenes in the book. The fight/the rescue, all great!! It became a page turner as the book neared the end and as a result, I will be adding book 10 to my 'to-be-read' list.

Overall, if you have read the books in this series, you will probably want to pick this one up as well but if you haven't, your life will go on without adding this one to your bookshelf!

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica

Douglas Preston dedicates this book to Karen Copeland
Can you believe it, Bill?

Pendergast-the world's most enigmatic FBI Special Agent-returns to New York City to investigate a murderous cult.

William Smithback, a New York Times reporter, and his wife Nora Kelly, a Museum of Natural History archaeologist, are brutally attacked in their apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Eyewitnesses claim, and the security camera confirms, that the assailant was their strange, sinister neighbor-a man who, by all reports, was already dead and buried weeks earlier. While Captain Laura Hayward leads the official investigation, Pendergast and Lieutenant Vincent D'Agosta undertake their own private-and decidedly unorthodox-quest for the truth. Their serpentine journey takes them to an enclave of Manhattan they never imagined could exist: a secretive, reclusive cult of Obeah and vodou which no outsiders have ever survived.

After New York Times reporter William Smithback and his wife Nora Kelly, a Museum of Natural History archaeologist, are brutally attacked in their apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Pendergast--the world's most enigmatic FBI Special Agent--returns to New York City to investigate a murderous Obeah cult.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,542,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible