Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, Bk 9) by Douglas…

Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, Bk 9) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Douglas Preston, and Lincoln Child, Lincoln Child

Member:catmeyoo
Title:Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, Bk 9)
Authors:Douglas Preston, and Lincoln Child
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Vision (2010), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Tags:thriller, Agent Pendergast series, detective and mystery stories, New York City, cults, voodoo

Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston (2009)

English (57)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (63)
Rating 3.5

In this adventure set back in New York agent Pendergast is with D'Agosta are hunting down a zombie killer. This case is tough for Pendergast. He even calls in assistance from his school tutor from New Orleans. A mix of voodoo and murder have them searching all over Manhattan to find what is behind the killer. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Rating 3.5

JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
3.5 out of 5.
It isn't as ridiculous as The Wheel of Darkness (although perhaps a little bit of that gung-ho weirdness would've helped; I will certainly never forget certain scenes from that book) but it also doesn't really do anything but go through the motions. A strong opening, with the death of a beloved character, leaves us ready for something really fierce - but by the time we get to the epilogue, with Nora finally coming to terms with her love's death, it all feels like a shrug. Or worse, a plot device. Still, even going through the motions, Preston & Child deliver an enjoyable read and there are plenty of things to find here for fans. The vague unresolved ending points us in the direction of this so-called Helen Trilogy and while I'm excited to see what that's all about... I'm really just ready to jump ahead to Blue Labyrinth with the hopes that the true spark of originality returns.

More at RB: http://ragingbiblioholism.com/2014/10/13/cemetery-dance-pendergast-9/ ( )
  drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |
3.5 out of 5.

drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |
Another in the Aloysius Pendergast series. This pits Detective Pendergast against a voo-doo cult operating in the middle of NYC. It brings back some characters from previous books (Smithback, D'Agosta and even mentions Constance, so hopefully she'll be back in a following installment) and gives the reader a little more personal history of Aloysius and his youth in New Orleans. Murder, mayhem and magic abound so if you are a fan of the series you should read this book.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I am starting to get to the 'enough is enough' point with the Pendergast novels. This is book nine in the series and it was too over-the-top.

Generally, I am pretty open to just about anything, including the un-dead (aka. Zombies) but this book just had too much of everything. The story was about 100 pages too long, had WAY too much detail in areas that didn't require it, areas that weren't important to the overall outcome of the story and it didn't have enough details in the areas that, I felt, deserved it. Also, I felt like the story was too jumpy... just when I was getting into a particular character/part of the story, it would flip to a different part and I would have to get into THAT part again. Ugg... sometimes that can be annoying!

However, for all the negative, there were some good parts... I really did enjoy the climax scenes in the book. The fight/the rescue, all great!! It became a page turner as the book neared the end and as a result, I will be adding book 10 to my 'to-be-read' list.

Overall, if you have read the books in this series, you will probably want to pick this one up as well but if you haven't, your life will go on without adding this one to your bookshelf!

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica

Douglas Preston dedicates this book to Karen Copeland
Can you believe it, Bill?

Pendergast-the world's most enigmatic FBI Special Agent-returns to New York City to investigate a murderous cult.

William Smithback, a New York Times reporter, and his wife Nora Kelly, a Museum of Natural History archaeologist, are brutally attacked in their apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Eyewitnesses claim, and the security camera confirms, that the assailant was their strange, sinister neighbor-a man who, by all reports, was already dead and buried weeks earlier. While Captain Laura Hayward leads the official investigation, Pendergast and Lieutenant Vincent D'Agosta undertake their own private-and decidedly unorthodox-quest for the truth. Their serpentine journey takes them to an enclave of Manhattan they never imagined could exist: a secretive, reclusive cult of Obeah and vodou which no outsiders have ever survived.

After New York Times reporter William Smithback and his wife Nora Kelly, a Museum of Natural History archaeologist, are brutally attacked in their apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Pendergast--the world's most enigmatic FBI Special Agent--returns to New York City to investigate a murderous Obeah cult.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 370 books! | Top bar: Always visible