The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

The Body Finder (edition 2011)

by Kimberly Derting

Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned, Finished, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Well Planned. Well Executed.

I was very happy with this book. I did not know what to expect of it coming from a completely new author but I was very happy I had picked it up and will be eagerly anticipating more from Derting. This is actually a well written book. Not once throughout the story did I feel like the author was struggling. Rather, I felt like the story was quite well managed and well thought out. There are many twists and turns, all the way to the last page. It is definitely a page turner! I read it over the course of two days and was always eager to pick it back up. Also, I was very impressed with the characters Derting portrayed. Amazingly, they seemed like real teenagers and each character was well drawn and distinct, yet not stereotypical. Fantastic! Character development is usually my main compliant but this book passed with flying colors! I think if you like this book you may also like Impossible by Nancy Werlin. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
I'm mad at myself for waiting so long to start The Body Finder Series. I think my hesitation came from the fact that I'd read one of Kimberly's newer books and wasn't impressed, which made me think I wouldn't enjoy these books as much as everyone else.

This book was the perfect combination of suspense, mystery, and romance. Violet is able to sense the bodies of those that have been murdered. It's something she's learned to live with over the years typically just finding the bodies of animals, but when I serial killer starts terrorizing Violet's home town she starts sensing the bodies of the girls he has taken. Violet decides that it's up to her to stop this killer before any more girls go missing.

Most of the book is told from Violet's POV with a few chapters interspersed from the killers POV. I've read one other book that was done this way and once again the chapters from the killer gave me goose bumps. Seeing inside the mind of a character so messed up is disturbing to say the least. While it was chilling to see things from the killers POV, it did add a whole other level of depth to the story.

One of the things I really liked about this story was that while Violet's gift was a secret to most people, her family and best friend Jay knew. I hate when the main character has to keep a secret from those she loves most. It was great that Violet had this whole support unit who knew what she was going through and could help her through it. It also meant that her parents were actually present in the story! Imagine that? A teenager with parents, huh.

While there is a large paranormal, gotta catch the serial killer plot line, there is also a large focus on the romance aspect. Let's talk about Jay. He's actually the reason I finally picked this book up, thanks to a post from Diana over at The Lovely Getaway that convinced me this was one romance I didn't want to miss out on.

Overall, I devoured this book in a single sitting and am on my way to the library to snatch up the next three books in the series! I can't wait to see what comes next for Violet and her ability as well as her and Jay's relationship. ( )
  BornBookish | Feb 14, 2014 |
This has to be one of the best books I've read this year! ( )
  ChachaCenteno | Feb 6, 2014 |
Positively thrilling! Though I didn't get into the book right away, but when I did, I absolutely loved it. The pacing and tension were fantastic! The writing and the main characters were good--the side characters seemed rather irrelevant though. However,I did have some questions, and I didn't feel like the plot twist was very well foreshadowed. ( )
  LaPhenix | Jan 12, 2014 |
The Body Finder is the first book in a new YA series. Violet Ambrose has a dark gift - she can sense dead bodies. Animals or humans- their unique death echo calls to her. She has been finding these bodies since she was a young girl. Her parents have hidden this talent and only her closest friend Jay knows about it.

When a serial killer is on the loose preying on young girls in her town, she uses her ability to do some of her own detective work. She can track the killers by sensing the imprint that their victims leave behind.

Violet is also dealing with her romantic feelings for Jay, who has been her friend since they were kids.

The story is told from Violet's perspective, however we also get a scary look inside the mind of the serial killer.

This was a spooky debut, with a unique spin in the YA paranormal genre. I'm curious to see what happens next in the series.

readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
To Amanda, Connor, and Abigail, for letting me love you
Violet Ambrose wandered away from the safety of her father as she listened to the harmony of sound weaving delicately around her.

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her “power” to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he’s claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay’s intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she’s falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

High school junior Violet uses her uncanny ability to sense murderers and their victims to try to stop a serial killer who's terrorizing her town, and although her best friend and would-be boyfriend Jay promises to keep her safe, she becomes a target.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible