The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

The Body Finder (edition 2011)

by Kimberly Derting

Member:Annesanse
Title:The Body Finder
Authors:Kimberly Derting
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned, Finished, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Recently added byprivate library, Unkletom, SpazzyDragon13, Diamond.Dee., ebookreviewgal, Aeroette, hotforcool
Ghosts (126)

**Originally posted on www.bunnycates.com May 23, 2011**

My Thoughts:

The storyline of this book sounded a lot like the Harper Connelly mysteries I read a few months back by Charlaine Harris. I loved them, so I picked this up.

According to my reading updates, I enjoyed this book. It looks like it only took me a couple of days to get through it. That’s the kind of books I really like. The ones you can get “into” and through in a few days. =D I do think I was a little “under” wowed, because I kept comparing it in my mind to the Harper Connelly books, which are adult fiction. This book was like the YA version of Harper, and instead of seeing Violet, I kept seeing “young” Harper. lol…

I loved the relationship between Violet and Jay. It felt, real. The best relationships start out as friends and BUILD. I thought it was really refreshing to see that kind of relationship in a book for Teens, as opposed to the seeing seeing the guy and then instantly being madly in love, like some of the more popular teen books portray.

This book has a good “mystery” going, in that they need to find this serial killer. I might add, I was totally WRONG about who it was too. That means it was really good, right? But, as far as mysteries go – the story doesn’t really give us a lot of options as to who it is. And then there are the things Violet does, to find the killer. Uhmmm… I think her parents should have *whipped her tale* a few times, for the non-minding. But, realistically I suppose that’s how teens are, right?

There were a few things that happen in the book, that I totally don’t “get” but, seriously, they weren’t so bad as to make me want to quit reading the book. And really, I think if I hadn’t already read that other series and had high expectations… I think I would have been totally satisfied with this one instead of just ho-hum.

I did enjoy it enough that I want to read the sequel Desires of the Dead (Body Finder). I have total faith that with book two, the author (who was a debut author with this book, BTW) will be able to stretch the characters a little more and be more comfortable with her writing – enough to weave in a few more characters and details to help “build” the mystery for us!

So there ya go- I say READ IT. Just keep in mind its written for a TEEN audience. =D ( )
  BunnyCates | Jul 8, 2015 |
Violet Ambrose is a sixteen-year-old high school student with psychic abilities. Her ability to hear “echoes” enables her to pick up on the “imprints” of the dead – whether animal or human, these echoes speak to Violet. When she was just eight, Violet’s gift led her to the traumatic discovery of the dead body of a young local girl. Now, eight years later, there’s a killer on the loose once again and he’s targeting local teenage girls. Much to the dismay of her parents, police chief uncle and her best friend/recently-turned boyfriend Jay, Violet wants to search for the killer, using her special gift. Will Violet be able to stop theThe Body Finder by Kimberly Derting murderer before he kills again?

I liked The Body Finder. This is the perfect YA novel. It has a feisty, attractive protagonist who’s not overly sure of herself. A handsome, attentive love interest. Interesting and sometimes quirky secondary characters. Suspense. The mildest of sexual situations (which were handled age-appropriately) and just the right amount of teenage angst. I did find that the story got a little slow in some parts, but not overly so. The ending was a nail-biter and it definitely held my attention.

I would recommend The Body Finder as a well-written, compelling novel, suitable for teens as well as adults. Kudos to Kimberly Derting – I will definitely read her other books now! ( )
  ebookreviewgal | Jun 3, 2015 |
I thought this was an awesome book with a great concept. My full review is here, on Hot Stuff for Cool People. ( )
  hotforcool | May 31, 2015 |
posting my review soon! ( )
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
The concept of this book was very cool-- one girl, Violet, has the unique power of being able to locate murder victims (animal or human). While this had great potential, I could not get past how many times Violet was saved by her boyfriend. The girl could not manage anything on her own; her powers got her into trouble multiple times through the book, and I can't think of an instance that she was able to save herself. While that weakness of character might have played okay a few years back, I believe that nowadays you might expect for a woman to kick a little ass, stand up for herself, and be a stronger role model. Violet was given powers, but no power. ( )
  redrabbit | Nov 25, 2014 |
To Amanda, Connor, and Abigail, for letting me love you
Violet Ambrose wandered away from the safety of her father as she listened to the harmony of sound weaving delicately around her.

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her “power” to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he’s claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay’s intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she’s falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

High school junior Violet uses her uncanny ability to sense murderers and their victims to try to stop a serial killer who's terrorizing her town, and although her best friend and would-be boyfriend Jay promises to keep her safe, she becomes a target.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,478,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible