The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

The Body Finder (edition 2011)

by Kimberly Derting

Member:Annesanse
Title:The Body Finder
Authors:Kimberly Derting
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned, Finished, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Good story, but I wasn't crazy about the writing. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
4 Stars

Synopsis
Violet Ambrose can see, hear, smell, and even taste an imprint left by a dead animal or person as well as the matching imprint carried by the individual responsible for that animal or person's death. She lives in a small town, where teenage girls suddenly begin disappearing. Violet stumbles across one of their bodies and becomes involved in the search for the killer whom only she can identify.

Review
This is a great debut novel.
The plot elements are unique and engrossing. The characterization is excellent, especially the relationship between Violet and her best friend, Jay. My one small quibble is the lack of tension and build up of suspense toward the end, but this does not detract from the overall reading experience.
recommendation: a must read for YA fans. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
The Body Finder is book one in the Body Finder series by Kimberly Derting. I loved this book and stayed up until 2am to finish it! I then had to look up the next two books and buy them! This is about a high school girl and her best friend Jay. They grew up together but things are changing now that they are teens. Feelings are blooming and they are dealing with this. Jay is the only one outside the family that knows of Violet's secret gift of finding dead bodies. Well now she is going to need this gift because a serial killer is in town. Once the killer knows Violet's secret, he wants her. It is a very exciting story with lots of realistic interactions, dialogue, and the added fantasy of the gift even seemed so realistic that you forget it is fantasy. It has everything in this book; fantasy, romance, suspense, action, and a thriller. It is a fun ride that I enjoyed completely. Can't wait to see what is in the next books. Great job. ( )
  MontzaleeW | May 13, 2016 |
A sweet and dark YA paranormal romance, written beautifully. Violet, a teenage girl see's/hears imprints left by "murdered" animals and humans. When she was only 8 she found a girl, and never forgot her imprint, this is only the beginning. Her best-friend since 1rst grade is Jay, a wonderful male character. He stands with her not matter what and knows of her "power".( He will steal your heart.) Her feelings for him are developing into something more than friendship. This relationship develops as a possible love story a normal pace, not like most books. It is written from the killer's point of view as well as Violet's, taking you even deeper into the story. The emotions and visual details are so well written, I could feel/see the story. I really, really enjoyed this author's work and will line up to read her work again. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
*Originally Reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank*

Gaaah. While typing this review I can still feel my heart beating in my throat. What a thrilling ending! What a great book! It made me feel like I was watching a horror movie. Some moments felt so real, so bone chilling. It’s been quite some time that I had much trouble with keeping my calm while reading. At times I was almost too scared to continue reading. I just knew what was coming and that it was inevitable…. Gosh, what a good book this was.

Fortunately for the “chicken” inside of me there were enough moments where the focus was on other, much more fun events. Like the blossoming feelings Violet has for Jay. I quite liked that she does not act like every other girl who falls in love with her best friend. Nope, she hates it and can’t wait to go back to the old and familiar. When Jay was just Jay and not the boy that makes her insides all giggly. Knowing that little fact makes it even more fun to watch her getting all jealous and at the same time trying to hide the fact that she is ^^ It’s hard keeping such a big secret from your BFF!

Violet truly is a brave and strong girl. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be, hearing “echoes” of dead animals or humans. Who have been murdered. Echoes that won’t stop ringing till she buries the dead. Echoes that also can be heard from the person or animal who is responsible for a killing. Even if it was “in the line of duty.” Therefore I forgive her slip-up at the end. Even though my mind still fails to comprehend how she could even think about it. I mean, the last thing I’d want to be is alone when a serial killer is out there! Enfin, I’ll stop here before I start ranting, it’s obviously she’s learned her lesson and let’s hope she doesn’t do it again.

The plot was great too, you get to see things through the eyes of the murderer and still there’s not enough clues to decipher who it could be. And the moment you think they’ve got him, there’s an unexpected twist and you’re back where you started. Wow! Did not see that one coming! I discovered one sore spot though, the plot gets a bit lengthy towards the end. It might be because I’m not the most patient person around that it got a bit boring, but what else could you expect from me? Page after page I could feel adrenaline souring through me body. I still did not know who the killer was and all they were talking about was normal day life? So not what I wanted to read about… The real ending, though, made it worthwhile, but still. I almost gave it a heart less because it took so long. Fortunately the big revelation was the best of the best. I almost had to cry, what usually means it was a good one ;)

Conclusion

4 HEARTS. A thrilling and compelling book. That switches between humor and funny passages and a scary thriller. This book will let you feel your heart racing in your throat and ill have you gasping for breath. It has a strong and brave main character named Violet with some unusual abilities. Even though it gets a bit boring towards the end, it ends with a big bang. A great read for everyone who likes a good romance and a fearful story. ( )
  CarpeLibra | Aug 16, 2015 |
To Amanda, Connor, and Abigail, for letting me love you
Violet Ambrose wandered away from the safety of her father as she listened to the harmony of sound weaving delicately around her.

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her “power” to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he’s claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay’s intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she’s falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

High school junior Violet uses her uncanny ability to sense murderers and their victims to try to stop a serial killer who's terrorizing her town, and although her best friend and would-be boyfriend Jay promises to keep her safe, she becomes a target.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,162,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible