The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

The Body Finder (edition 2011)

by Kimberly Derting

Member:Annesanse
Title:The Body Finder
Authors:Kimberly Derting
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned, Finished, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

For me this is four stars because it doesn't follow the run-of-the-mill YA guidelines for writing a teen book.

1. The romance although predictable wasn't sappy or paper thin i.e. being in love for no reason.
2. Neither of the love birds was new to the town or school. They had in fact been friends for many years.
3. Neither of the heroine's parents was dead or missing-in-action.
4. The teen behaviour wasn't overly annoying, thank god.

Yes, the romance took on more importance and had more page time than the plot but that's typical in most YA books. Plus Derting also attempts to confuse us as to who the killer is, and just as we think it's all over, it isn't. I did guess who/what the killer was by the end but I didn't mind.

One thing I do mind though, is that this could happily remain a stand alone. There isn't a need for a sequel. I'm quite happy with how it ended. Please don't ruin a good thing. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
A mildly Interesting teen thriller with a heroine with a unique ability. Violet's unique ability to find dead bodies was about the only unique thing about this book. It was okay, the murder mystery part was fairly interesting mixed in with some fairly creepy chapters from the killer's point of view,

The rest of the book seemed to be rather annoying teenage fluff. Violet has realised she's in love with her best friend Jay who she has known forever. Over the summer Jay apparently gets really hot and lots of other girls are now interested in him and this irritates her greatly. Two thirds of the book seem to be her pining for Jay and the rest of the book is the murder mystery. Violet's ability to find bodies get her involved in the investigation and noticed by the killer.

It was a reasonably fast read, Violet was an okay heroine, likeable enough, though got irritating when she was moaning about the other girls her friend was talking to including the school Beauty Queen and she and her friends get fairly nasty about it. Bitchy and slut shaming which while irritating I guess is not really surprising behaviour.

There's a little bit of romance that picks up in the second half of the novel which is sweet but if I wanted a fluffy teen romance book there are others I could read. I wanted a gritty paranormal murder mystery and didn't get . Everything was okay and mild. It was concluded with no cliffhangers so points for that.

I'm not sure I would really be that interested in continuing the rest of this series.

Crossed off first squad for Bookish Bingo - has flower in title or on cover.

sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
To Amanda, Connor, and Abigail, for letting me love you
Violet Ambrose wandered away from the safety of her father as she listened to the harmony of sound weaving delicately around her.

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her “power” to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he’s claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay’s intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she’s falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

High school junior Violet uses her uncanny ability to sense murderers and their victims to try to stop a serial killer who's terrorizing her town, and although her best friend and would-be boyfriend Jay promises to keep her safe, she becomes a target.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,308,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible