The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

The Body Finder (edition 2011)

by Kimberly Derting

Member:Annesanse
Title:The Body Finder
Authors:Kimberly Derting
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned, Finished, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Violet Ambrose is a sixteen-year-old high school student with psychic abilities. Her ability to hear “echoes” enables her to pick up on the “imprints” of the dead – whether animal or human, these echoes speak to Violet. When she was just eight, Violet’s gift led her to the traumatic discovery of the dead body of a young local girl. Now, eight years later, there’s a killer on the loose once again and he’s targeting local teenage girls. Much to the dismay of her parents, police chief uncle and her best friend/recently-turned boyfriend Jay, Violet wants to search for the killer, using her special gift. Will Violet be able to stop theThe Body Finder by Kimberly Derting murderer before he kills again?

I liked The Body Finder. This is the perfect YA novel. It has a feisty, attractive protagonist who’s not overly sure of herself. A handsome, attentive love interest. Interesting and sometimes quirky secondary characters. Suspense. The mildest of sexual situations (which were handled age-appropriately) and just the right amount of teenage angst. I did find that the story got a little slow in some parts, but not overly so. The ending was a nail-biter and it definitely held my attention.

I would recommend The Body Finder as a well-written, compelling novel, suitable for teens as well as adults. Kudos to Kimberly Derting – I will definitely read her other books now! ( )
  ebookreviewgal | Jun 3, 2015 |
I thought this was an awesome book with a great concept. My full review is here, on Hot Stuff for Cool People. ( )
  hotforcool | May 31, 2015 |
posting my review soon! ( )
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
The concept of this book was very cool-- one girl, Violet, has the unique power of being able to locate murder victims (animal or human). While this had great potential, I could not get past how many times Violet was saved by her boyfriend. The girl could not manage anything on her own; her powers got her into trouble multiple times through the book, and I can't think of an instance that she was able to save herself. While that weakness of character might have played okay a few years back, I believe that nowadays you might expect for a woman to kick a little ass, stand up for herself, and be a stronger role model. Violet was given powers, but no power. ( )
  redrabbit | Nov 25, 2014 |
"Sixteen year old Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her unusual so-called gift. While her confusing feelings for her best friend are new, she has been able to sense dead bodies-or at least those who have been murdered-and the imprints that attach to their killers since she was a little girl. Violet has never considered her ability useful, but now that a serial killer [teen girls] has begun terrorizing her small town she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him. Fiercely protective of her, Jay agrees to help Violet search for the murderer. But even as she's falling in love, Violet is getting closer to discovering a killer...and becoming his prey herself." (book jacket)
While the start of the book is promising, the further I read the more I realized that Derting was "telling" much too much, without just "showing" us readers. Character descriptions, settings, and sometimes dialogue are padded with so much background "feeling" from the narrator/protagonist Violet, that readers may tire of the constant side trips into Violet's thoughts and emotions, ones often repeated. Even after all the verbiage, I realized some characters I still could not "see" at all, which was frustrating. While the main setting - Buckley, WA- was intriguing, a place I'd been through, Derting's use of it as little more than a vague backdrop to the teen drama was a little disappointing. While the use of the interchapters from the serial killer's pt of view was chilling, adding to the suspense, the interweaving of everyday teen drama/girl rivalries was not so seamless. Definitely a teen read for girls looking for a supenseful romance, who will gobble up the subsequent books ; some bad language and heated making out scenes are the only cautions for younger readers. To my taste, a book which could've been improved with a lot more editing! ( )
  BDartnall | Nov 20, 2014 |
To Amanda, Connor, and Abigail, for letting me love you
Violet Ambrose wandered away from the safety of her father as she listened to the harmony of sound weaving delicately around her.

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her “power” to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he’s claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay’s intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she’s falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

High school junior Violet uses her uncanny ability to sense murderers and their victims to try to stop a serial killer who's terrorizing her town, and although her best friend and would-be boyfriend Jay promises to keep her safe, she becomes a target.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,881,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible