Coming Home (Heartland (Scholastic…

Coming Home (Heartland (Scholastic Paperback)) (original 2000; edition 2003)

by Lauren Brooke

520519,468 (3.88)2
Title:Coming Home (Heartland (Scholastic Paperback))
Authors:Lauren Brooke
Info:Scholastic (2003), Paperback, 140 pages
Tags:horses, healing and sibling relationship

Coming Home by Lauren Brooke (2000)

I've never made a review for a book that I read in the past, but I'm going to make an exception for this book (and the prolific series that it spawned).

I read these when I was maybe twelve or thirteen years old and fell in love with every book. I rode horses for a few years, never really got into that horse-obsession phase that some people have, but I sure as hell did love these books. They were innocent and engrossing, perfect small books to get a tween or early teen to read, and I went through them on a book-per-day basis. Although I can't remember names or plotlines now, I remember loving with all of my heart these books, all of their characters, and all of the horses. ( )
  Proustitutes | Jun 11, 2015 |
In 2007, Heartland was adapted into a television series which began airing on CBC in Canada
On Heartland, a farm in Virginia, abused or neglected horses are healed by Amy’s mother-a talented and gifted horse trainer. However, everything changed when Army’s mother died while trying to save a stallion from a thunderstorm. Lou, Amy’s elder sister, had to leave her job in New York and come back to Heartland to help, but her views are different from that of Amy’s. As Amy is struggling to deal with the sorrow of losing her mother and bettering the relation between Lou and her, she must work hard to keep Heartland going using her horse whispering talent that she inherited from her mother.
This book is recommended for readers 9 years old and up. ( )
  hongmei_qiu | Dec 4, 2012 |
If you love horses, you'll like the Heartland series.

If you just like horses(like me), you'll still like the Heartland series! ( )
  I_recommend | Apr 7, 2009 |
"Coming Home" (Heartland #1) by Lauren Brooke was such a good book! I love the Heartland series! Amy convinces her Mom to drive an abandoned horse back to there ranch. All goes well until a strong storm picks up and they are included in a deadly crash. Will Amy learn to forgive herself, and what about Spartan, the horse she and her Mom saved? Find out in "Coming Home!"
  Polo.Pony | Jan 21, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439130204, Paperback)

Heartland is a horse farm with the special mission of healing abused or neglected horses and finding them new homes. Fifteen-year-old Amy works alongside her talented mother, a gifted horse trainer who uses techniques similar to those of the trainer in The Horse Whisperer. While rescuing an abandoned stallion in a thunderstorm, Amy's mother is killed when a falling tree hits their car, and everything at Heartland--and everything in Amy's life--is thrown into turmoil. Amy's older sister, Lou, leaves her job to come to Heartland to help, and Amy begins to cope with the new circumstances of her life, relying on her work with her beloved horses to help her face the future without her mom.

Fans of the Saddle Club, Pine Hollow, and Thoroughbred series of horse novels will enjoy this sensitively told story that combines lots of authentic horse-farm details with Amy's challenges in dealing with her bossy older sister and her mom's sudden death. The story of Heartland is continued in After the Storm. (Ages 8 to 12) --Marcie Bovetz

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:48 -0400)

The daughter of a respected horse healer, 14 year-old Amy has a powerful connection with horses. With her mother's help, she is developing her skills as a horse whisperer while tending to the animals at Heartland, a refuge for horses that have been emotionally or physically traumatized. But when her mother is killed in a tragic trailer accident, Amy realizes she will never see her world the same way again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,837,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible