The Darkest Whisper by Gena Showalter

English (38)  All (1)  All (39)
Really liked it, but the story dragged a little for me. It was awesome to see Gwen turning into a kickass Harpy and to see Sabin eating his tongue. There was some pretty great plot twists here that made the series even more interesting. ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
The Darkest Whisper
4.5 Stars

Synopsis
Following a clue from the All-Seeing Eye, the Lords infiltrate a pyramid in Egypt and rescue several young women held captive by the Hunters. Amongst them is Gwen, a Harpy who finds it difficult to control her darker side. Sabin, the Keeper of Doubt, finds himself drawn to Gwen but fears that his demon will destroy her as it has many other women. Is Gwen the one who will finally quiet is inner self?

Review
The Lords of the Underworld are good reads but none has really captivated me until now - The Darkest Whisper is definitely the best in the series so far.

Sabin did not make a good impression in the earlier books but he turns out to be an incredible hero - I love it when the reluctant hero falls so hard. Gwen starts out as timid and vulnerable but grows into her own abilities and discovers inner strengths she never knew she possessed. Her romance with Sabin is engaging and satisfying.

The developments in the overall story arc are particularly compelling and there are many great actions scenes. Showlater is also very skilled at writing twists and turns, and this book has a really doozy.

The continuation of Aeron and Paris's storylines is also enjoyable but the insights into Torin and Gideon's lives were the real highlight. Gideon is another character that had me wary but now I want to know more about him.

So things are heating up in the Lords universe and I can't wait to see what happens next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Love it! Each book is a bit better and I can't wait to read some more! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Possessing the demon of doubt, the hero is extremely focused on his goal to eliminate his enemies. He saves the heroine from her prison partly because he's instantly attracted to her but mostly because she's a Harpy and has the power to destroy his enemies. Though she's timid and shy and selfconscious, we her hrpy is released she's a fighting machine. I thought this was a nice book but nothing to get extremely excited over. There was never really a part that made my blood rush but at the same time, I was never board with the story. It was really in the middle. I liked the hero and the honesty he has with openly telling the heroine that he's using her powers to kill his enemies for him. The heroine remained true to herself but grew in confidence and ability as the story went on. Just because she grew stronger, doesn't mean she had to become bitchy or annoying and I really enjoyed that aspect. Sort or middle of the road with this addition to the series. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
I don't know why I put off reading this book for so long. I had it for a few months before I read it. I didn't think I would like Sabin, and I think that had to do with his demon, Doubt. I am full of that demon, glad it doesn't ride within me like it does Sabin. I would have gone mad long ago and I'm surprised how well he as fared. Granted he has had a long time to deal with the demon itself but he is resilient. Gwen, is also resilient. And strong. Gods is she strong. To hold back her own harpy as she does, considering herself better than some of what she wants to do must be hard - and she is better. Much better but she needed to accept herself, her darker wants and desires, to be able to continue to function. Which is something I also must say that I understand, granted my darker desires aren't as dark or deep as hers are.

Now watching them come together, melding as they do and then jumping apart as their doubts and fears cloud their judgement was both a delight (made me smile how silly they were) and sadness (because how deep and true they were) but together they found themselves a force to be reckoned with together and better than they were when they were apart. That has been my favorite part about reading the Lords of the Underworld series - watching two people come together, afraid of giving in, but more afraid of losing what is so, so right for them. It has been a joy to read. A joy, really. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
To Kresley Cole. A shining star, a talent beyond compare, beauty personified and one of the reasons I exist. I want to live inside your brain.
To Nix of the Immortals After Dark for coming to play in my sandbox
To Christy Foster for all your help online
To Krystle for the wonderful title
To Nora Roberts, an amazingly talented woman and writer—who just happens to be great at fixing toilets, too!
To my editors Tracy Farrell and Margo Lipschultz, whose bountiful support blesses me more than I can ever say
And LAST on this list:
To Jill Monroe. I guess you’re okay. Kind of. (Fine. I love and adore you beyond what is deemed healthy. You are a shining star, a talent beyond compare, beauty personified and the other reason I exist.)
Sabin, Keeper of the demon of Doubt, stood in the catacombs of an ancient pyramid, panting, sweating, his hands soaked in his enemy's blood, his body cut and bruised as he surveyed the carnage around him.
“Anya visited the Virgin Islands a few years ago and after that, all the natives started calling them the
Islands.”

(Sabin's Story)

New York Times bestselling sensation Gena Showalter returns with her long-awaited next installment of the Lords of the Underworld series…

He is the keeper of Doubt and his entire world’s about to be rocked.

Bound by the demon of doubt, Sabin unintentionally destroys even the most confident of lovers. So the immortal warrior spends his time on the battlefield instead of the bedroom, victory his only concern…until he meets Gwendolyn the Timid. One taste of the beautiful redhead, and he craves more.

Gwen, an immortal herself, always thought she’d fall for a kind human who wouldn’t rouse her darker side. But when Sabin frees her from prison, battling their enemies for the claim to Pandora’s box turns out to be nothing compared to the battle Sabin and Gwen will wage against love…

"Bound by the demon of Doubt, Sabin unintentionally destroys even the most confident of lovers. So the immortal warrior spends his time on the battlefield instead of the bedroom, victory his only concern...until he meets Gwendolyn the Timid. One taste of the beautiful redhead, and he craves more. Gwen, an immortal herself, always thought she'd fall for a kind human who wouldn't rouse her darker side. But when Sabin frees her from prison, battling their enemies for the claim to Pandora's box turns out to be nothing compared to the battle Sabin and Gwen will wage against love...."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,435,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible