Relentless: A Novel by Dean Koontz

Relentless: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Dean Koontz

Info:Bantam (2010), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:horror, dog

Relentless by Dean Koontz

Watchers by Dean Koontz (Localhostess)
    Localhostess: Classic Koontz at his best. And there's a dog.

This book is a self fulfilling prophecy: Author writes a book about a hypercritical book reviewer, but the book is so bad that it spawns more critical reviews. Add mine to the list. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
I have to compliment the narration for this audiobook - the narrator, when acting as the narrator, had an average Joe sort of voice, yet he managed to impart distinction to each of the characters in turn, and not to irritate me in the process, which is something that male narrators can do at times when portraying a female voice, Percival's Planet being a good recent example of that. Odd that I was reading two books at the same time that featured a child genius as a character, but the similarities ended there! Koontz is one of my go-to authors for light entertainment in between things I have to think harder about, and I did enjoy this. There was a curious mixture of the lightheartedness of the central family and their bemused approach to their son's experimentation and the dog who kept turning up in odd places and the absolute unprovoked graphic violence that was visited upon the various victims. Cubby's back story was interesting and unanticipated. I would have to say though that actual explanation of the purpose behind the violence was weak - the weakest part of the story, but still and all, a nice diversion. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Cubby Greenwich is a best selling writer who lives with his childrens author wife Penny, their genius son Milo and dog Lassie. Shermann Waxx writes a scathing review of Cubbys book and then begins terrorizing his family. The main idea was interesting but the end of the book goes way out there and Waxx's reasons for the terror are pretty ridiculous. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
I think the only reason I listened to the whole thing was because I got too far into it and I wanted to see how it ended. I've heard better. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone. ( )
  Don_Mega | Dec 18, 2015 |
This was a very quick, very light read. It was supposed to be suspenseful. It was mildly entertaining but mostly forgettable. I was surprised and slightly amused by the teleporting dog. The overall theme was positive- that evil is not relentless, but love and family devotion are relentless and will overcome evil in the end. The pace was very fast, even at the expense of believability of the plot. ( )
  karmiel | Aug 22, 2015 |
If you enjoy [Koontz's] style of thriller, Relentless won't disappoint you.

The chapters are short, the dialogue is "snappy," and still things go on forever... god-awful.
added by Shortride | editEsquire, Benjamin Alsup (Jun 11, 2009)

Whether you’re a longtime reader of Koontz or not, if you’re looking for a sci-fi novel with a good storyline, this would be it. If you’re looking for a book with humor and angst, this would be it. If you’re looking for the perfectly crafted novel, with a totally believable plot, this might not be it, as some parts of the tale are a bit far-fetched and the ending is a tad weak. But, overall, this is a good story and worth the time it takes to read it.

To Gerda
for everything
This is a thing I've learned: Even with a gun to my head, I am capable of being convulsed with laughter.
...God has a sense of humor, and because the world is wondrous, He expects us to find reasons to smile even on the darkest days.

#1 "New York Times" bestselling master of suspense Dean Koontz delivers a mesmerizing new thriller that explores the razor-thin line between the best and worst of human nature--and the anarchy simmering just beneath society's surface--as a likeable, successful family man is drawn into a confrontation with a foe of unimaginable malice....

Bestselling novelist Cullen "Cubby" Greenwich is a lucky man and he knows it. He makes a handsome living doing what he enjoys. His wife, Penny, a children's book author and illustrator, is the love of his life. Together they have a brilliant six-year-old, Milo, affectionately dubbed "Spooky," and a non-collie named Lassie, who's all but part of the family.

So Cubby knows he shouldn't let one bad review of his otherwise triumphant new book get to him--even if it does appear in the nation's premier newspaper and is penned by the much-feared, seldom-seen critic, Shearman Waxx. Cubby knows the best thing to do is ignore the gratuitously vicious, insulting, and inaccurate comments. Penny knows it, even little Milo knows it. If Lassie could talk, she'd tell Cubby to ignore them, too.

Ignore Shearman Waxx and his poison pen is just what Cubby intends to do. Until he happens to learn where the great man is taking his lunch. Cubby just wants to get a look at the mysterious recluse whose mere opinion can make or break a career--or a life.

But Shearman Waxx isn't what Cubby expects; and neither is the escalating terror that follows what seemed to be an innocent encounter. For Waxx gives criticism; he doesn't take it. He has ways of dealing with those who cross him that Cubby is only beginning to fathom. Soon Cubby finds himself in a desperate struggle with a relentless sociopath, facing an inexorable assault on far more than his life.

Fearless, funny, utterly compelling, Relentless is Dean Koontz at his riveting best, an unforgettable tale of the fragile bonds that hold together all that we most cherish--and of those who would tear those bonds asunder.

Facing an inexorable assault on far more than his life, successful family man and bestselling novelist Cullen "Cubby" Greenwich finds himself in a desperate struggle with relentless sociopath and reclusive critic Shearman Waxx.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,472,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible