My Father's Tears and Other Stories by John…

My Father's Tears and Other Stories (2009)

by John Updike

330833,462 (4)8

English (7)  Italian (1)  All languages (8)
this is wonderful collection of short stories. the underlying theme is old men looking back at their life. each story at least to me has a sad mood. the characters struggle to find some meaning to come to grips with life ( )
  michaelbartley | Mar 18, 2013 |
Like much of Updike's work, most of these stories are about middle-aged New Englanders cheating on their spouses. There are also stories on the not unfamiliar subjects of growing up in the mid-west, and reflecting on one's life during old age. Several of these stories are also about travel abroad, which serves as the setting for one of the aforementioned subjects.

Perhaps the most interesting story in this collection is "Varieties of Religious Experience", about the terrorist attacks of September 11th, 2001. In it, he follows the experiences of a variety of characters impacted by the attack, from the terrorists themselves to people working in the World Trade Center towers to passengers on Flight 93. It is a powerful and thoughtful piece of writing, though Updike nearly ruins it at the end by expressing the view that the Islamists were right to view the WTC towers as an arrogant affront and it would be un-American to rebuild them...nothing up to that point in the story justifies such a conclusion (quite the reverse, in fact) and it is simply dropped in out of nowhere.

Still, on the whole this is one of Updike's better collections of stories that I've read so far. ( )
  AshRyan | Jan 20, 2012 |
I began reading Updike in 1968 when I picked up Rabbit, Run in a college bookstore. I remained a devoted fan for the next 20 years or so, then read only a few of his books and magazine articles after that. But in spite of having lost track of his last 20 years of writing I was deeply saddened to learn of his death in January of 2009. That announcement moved me to buy MY FATHER'S TEARS, published posthumously later that year. Perhaps it was the knowledge that John Updike was gone and this would be his last book, but I was myself moved to tears more than once as I read these stories this week. The majority of them are ruminations on childhood and the people and places that shape you. Here the place is Olinger (in reality, Shillington, PA) and the people are the boy's parents and grandparents. Updike's father was a high school teacher, who was immortalized in his award-winning novel, The Centaur. Reading these stories makes me want to read that book again; and I will try to.

One notable departure from the overriding theme of childhood is the story, "Varieties of Religious Experience," Updike's take on the 9/11 disaster, in which he muses once again on the existence (or not) of an indifferent God. "... Dan marveled at the human animal: like dogs, we creep back to lick the hand of a God Who, if He exists, has just given us a vicious kick. The harder He kicks, the more fervently we cringe and creep forward to lick his Hand."

This search for a God and life's meaning is also represented in the story, "The Apparition," where the protagonist reflects on Hinduism, where "in the last stage of life, [man] is permitted to leave his family and business and become a seeker after God and life's ultimate meaning."

But if there was a single line in this book which moved me the most deeply it came in "The Full Glass," which I recognized as a piece I had read previously in The New Yorker. In it the narrator reflects on his old man's routines and various infirmities, his wife's comments that he sleeps more now. And on the last page of the last story in what would be the author's last book, this narrator notes, "... many mornings, now that I'm retired and nearly eighty, I fall back asleep for another hour. The world is being tended to, I can let go of it, it doesn't need me."

Oh, but it did, John. It still does. But sleep now. You've earned it; and through your books you will always be with us. ( )
  TimBazzett | Dec 18, 2010 |
Updike is the ultimate storyteller and weaves a delicate and bittersweet thread through all these stories that will stay with you long after you close the book. ( )
  Sandra305 | Feb 12, 2010 |
More than half of these stories represent Updike at his best, with, amazingly, still many new things to say about ground one would have thought he had thoroughly covered. They bring home the loss to American letters that his death represents. ( )
  jensenmk82 | Oct 25, 2009 |
There's plenty here for longtime fans. Olinger, the post-industrial Pennsylvania town that appears in many of his books, is again prominent, and Updike's trademark wandering sentences, which, like Wordsworth's poetry, seem to go in two directions at once, are everywhere. But My Father's Tears also has a quality, sometimes found in final books, of being filled with light and wonderment. It's not only a fitting final book, but a joyous one.

To Grandchildren:Anoff, Kwame, Wesley, Trevor, Sawyer, Kai, and Seneca
      and
Adèle, Helen, Alex, Isabel, Lily, Charlotte, and Katharine
The seacoast road went smoothly up and down, but compared with an American highway it was eerily empty. ("Morocco")

John Updike’s first collection of new short fiction since the year 2000, My Father’s Tears finds the author in a valedictory mood as he mingles narratives of his native Pennsylvania with stories of New England suburbia and of foreign travel.

“Personal Archaeology” considers life as a sequence of half-buried layers, and “The Full Glass” distills a lifetime’s happiness into one brimming moment of an old man’s bedtime routine. High-school class reunions, in “The Walk with Elizanne” and “The Road Home,” restore their hero to youth’s commonwealth where, as the narrator of the title story confides, “the self I value is stored, however infrequently I check on its condition.” Exotic locales encountered in the journeys of adulthood include Morocco, Florida, Spain, Italy, and India. The territory of childhood, with its fundamental, formative mysteries, is explored in “The Guardians,” “The Laughter of the Gods,” and “Kinderszenen.” Love’s fumblings among the bourgeoisie yield the tart comedy of “Free,” “Delicate Wives,” “The Apparition,” and “Outage.”

In sum, American experience from the Depression to the aftermath of 9/11 finds reflection in these glittering pieces of observation, remembrance, and imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:00 -0400)

John Updike's first collection of new short fiction since the year 2000, this work finds the author in a valedictory mood as he mingles narratives of his native Pennsylvania with stories of New England suburbia and of foreign travel.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,369,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible