Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Deceived by Randy Wayne White

Deceived

by Randy Wayne White

Series: Hannah Smith (2)

I've read a few Doc Ford books. Hannah Smith runs a fishing boat and various other jobs to make money and take care of her mother who has become rather sneaky and deceptive since a stroke. Hannah and Doc are now involved in a relationship. He leaves to go on a trip (mission) out of the country and Hannah becomes involved in an investigation after finding a long time friend of her mother's dead and is attacked by a masked man with an ax. She friends a female deputy sheriff and starts looking into missing artifacts. I liked her.
  taurus27 | Mar 18, 2017 |
This was my first Randy Wayne White novel. I'd been hearing about him for years. My family visits the Sanibel area on a regular basis, and Doc Ford's (his restaurant) is one of our absolute favorite places to eat. Just before our last trip to Sanibel, I was in the library looking for beach reads and decided to check out a Randy Wayne White mystery. What could be better than reading a book that takes place exactly where you are, right? Deceived caught my eye because of the female protagonist. Something about it appealed to me, so I took it home. I sure am glad I did! I couldn't put it down! I have to admit, Hannah Smith is not the cuddliest of characters. If I met her in person, I doubt we'd be friends. However, the storyline itself kept me flipping pages. Hannah's mother's best friend disappears suddenly. When Hannah stops by her house to check on her, she has a run in with an axe-wielding stranger. It only gets better from there. Throw in bogus charity schemes that prey on the elderly, destruction of state artifacts, a twenty- year- old unsolved murder from the early days of Florida's drug smuggling...plus a love affair with Doc Ford, the hero of Whites other mystery series...and you have a book that is hard to put down. (My husband is reading it now.) I loved this book and can't wait for the next. I'll probably go back and read the first in the Hannah Smith series as well. This corner of Southwest Florida is stunning, and White's knowledge and love of the area are evident. I enjoyed reading my copy under an umbrella just down from Bowman's beach. Pick your favorite spot and try it out. :) ( )
  smartchiksread | Jul 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
RWW continues his latest quality roll with the next in the Hannah Smith series. Focusing once again on the southwest Florida locale and topical issues, White has created another fast=paced, intelligent thriller. While I am usually suspect of male authors writing first-person female protagonists, White does an admirable job with his Hannah. Real estate scams have long been a part of Florida lore and White does the (often over-done) topic justice in "Deceived". Interweaving the real estate scam and the decades old murder into a confluent plot line works well and keeps the reader engaged. Additionally, the Doc Ford - Hannah crossover is just present enough to engage the avid Doc Ford fans as well. Continuing from "Gone", we continue to see growth and development of the Hannah character and are provided a good deal more of her back story in "Deceived". A fun read - especially for those who enjoy the settings, characters, and history of the Florida Gulf Coast.
  FinsRandL | Apr 8, 2014 |
A fun mystery set in Florida by a popular author. Hannah Smith is an enjoyable character. I will be checking out others in the series.
  goodsew | Feb 10, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Randy Wayne White hits the mark once again. Wasn't sure I was happy when he went away from the Doc Ford series in his earlier Hannah Smith novel, but after 2 wonderful books, I am happy to consider myself a Hannah Smith fan. Keep up the good work Mr White.
  Geopou | Jan 11, 2014 |

Randy Wayne Whiteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raudman, RenéeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Hannah Smith uncovers a museum scam that is seeking contributions from her neighbors and friends in Sulfur Springs while investigating a twenty-year-old cold case.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Randy Wayne White's book Deceived was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible