Pavillion of Women by Pearl S. Buck

Pavillion of Women (1946)

by Pearl S. Buck

English (12)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I expected. Parts of the book really drew me in, but then the book would take a turn and I found myself losing interest or really turned off by the new direction. The end, in particular, almost amounts to a summary. Madame Wu is sometimes fascinating, sometimes really unlikable, sometimes just hard to believe. I've had this book on my Kindle for ages, and I'm glad I finally got around to reading it, but it makes me unsure about reading the author's other works. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jun 5, 2016 |
Review: Pavilion Of Women by Pearl Buck. A well written story. All the events, issues and character’s were described authentically and equal time give to each scenario throughout the novel. I felt there was enough spontaneous information given about the Chinese people, environment, teachings, and cultural living.

It was a story of old-fashioned Chinese culture changing gradually through daily living and the clashes of personality of one family. It started out with Madame Wu, the prominent wife of Mr. Wu one of the rich, higher classed men of the their area retiring from her women duties on her fortieth birthday. It was a surprise to all, especially when Madame Wu went seeking for a concubine for her husband. She was sure she was making the right decision.

There were many changes and turmoil that arose from that day forward. The family members started questioning what was stirring in Madame Wu ‘s mind and her behavior changes of the Chinese culture that gradually seeped into their family. At the time she was becoming to question her own qualities and ways of her life. This confused state of being started when she ask a foreign priest to help her third son learn new languishes to please the woman she had chosen for her son’s new wife. Madame Wu took it upon herself to listen in on the lessons between this priest and her son. Later in time she sat in on the lessons and became interested, asking questions to the priest to clarify her own thoughts and reasons. She begun her lessons with the priest, learning things about herself , and different thoughts about heaven and God.

In the meantime there were situations, issues and events going on that altered her family’s living quarters that she attended to with some misgivings from all who lived there. Some family members became hostile and some moved away.

Then the day came when Madame Wu went through the foreign priest’s untimely and unforeseen death. As she took it upon herself to care for his foundling’s and gave them a home in her temple she begun her path of what she thought her journey was suppose to take. From that day forward Madame Wu found a side to her that she never knew. The feelings she was having was not of her culture but she believed they belonged to her. She held on to these feelings and moved on with the second part of her life….She was content….
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
The beginning of the book was very promising. It is about an elegant Chinese woman educated in the old traditional way. Since she was young, she was taught that women are no more than the ones responsible for making the family grow, thus they must play their roles as the perfect housewives. Madame Wu, the main character, when reaching the 40th year of her life, feels that her role as a "baby generator" is over. However, she still has one thing in her mind: considering that her husband is still young and perfectly able to make more children, she decides to find him a suitable concubine. It's war time and with all the modernities taking place of ancient habits, the decision is imediately considered dreadful. In any other family, it would be unacceptable. Alas, Madame Wu is the supreme wisdom of the house and her words are the decisive ones.

At first, I thought that the story had all the requirements to be great. The main character is a strong women, full of attitude. Even if she's not the head of the house, the Wu family's perfect harmony was due to her decisions. And no one dares to disobey her. All the power is in her hands and, at the same time that she tries to cut her flesh relations with her husband, she keeps the order in the house in such a way that she always have everything under control, including the family members' happiness. Until the day she met a preacherman with whom she becomes quite interested. That's when the story starts to decay. Not because Madame Wu starts to contradict herself. On the very opposite, she keeps the same opinions from the beginning until the end of the book. What changed was the way she got to those conclusions. And that's exactly what didn't please me. I spent more than half of the book trying to understand why the heck did she stop to think in her charming selfish way. I even dare to say that her behavior changes happened from one page to the next one.

This is the kind of book that I read more because I was curious to know how it was going to end rather than because it was actually good. The conflicts are far from exciting, limiting themselves to regular family disagreements. Reading this book was like walking through a regular plain road: you only walk through it to get to the end. It is great when you think of cultural elements and chinese habits. But I've read better books. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
Well, this was deep and meaningful literature... There was story (that moved slowly, characters ( just one developed very deeply), and under and through everything, philosophy. Lots of deep thinking and powerful prose...but it often felt heavy-handed & a bit preachy for me. It was not what I expected, and I am glad I read it, but it's not likely to be one I re-read or recommend much. There were quite a few little gems of wisdom and expression. She is obviously a very good writer with a lot of thoughtful things to say. I am glad that I have finally discovered Pearl S. Buck. ( )
  Liciasings | Jun 3, 2013 |
I absolutely adore Pearl S. Buck's writing. That being said, I shall have to go through her entire bibliography in order to satisfy myself. Her prose is a warm bath, complete with the small insights and revelations that often come to one during luxurious respite. 'Pavilion of Women' presents a woman with unparalleled logic and self-control, but who also is ignorant of how coldly she views the rest of the world, those who lack her intelligence and strength of will. Through the course of the novel, she recognizes the mistakes she has made in withdrawing herself from the world and expecting the world to properly continue, and with the help from a foreign priest and a previously foreign emotion, she discovers how to continue existing. I feel I have a soft spot for this book, as I share many of the character traits of the protagonist (albeit not nearly as omniscient), and I love the book for being able to relate to many of its wise remarks on life in general. ( )
  Korrick | Mar 30, 2013 |

Pearl S. Buckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bovenkamp, J.G.H. van den (Sr.)Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was her fortieth birthday.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 155921287X, Paperback)

On her fortieth birthday, Madame Wu carries out a decision she has been planning for a long time: she tells her husband that after twenty-four years their physical life together is now over and she wishes him to take a second wife. The House of Wu, one of the oldest and most revered in China, is thrown into an uproar by her decision, but Madame Wu will not be dissuaded and arranges for a young country girl to come take her place in bed. Elegant and detached, Madame Wu orchestrates this change as she manages everything in the extended household of more than sixty relatives and servants. Alone in her own quarters, she relishes her freedom and reads books she has never been allowed to touch. When her son begins English lessons, she listens, and is soon learning from the "foreigner," a free-thinking priest named Brother Andre, who will change her life. Few books raise so many questions about the nature and roles of men and women, about self-discipline and happiness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:01 -0400)

"Nobel Prize-winning American author Pearl Buck's 1946 novel about a Chinese woman who decides to leave her marriage on her fortieth birthday, choosing a concubine for her landed-class husband and moving on to a life of freedom." *** "Madame Wu, at 40, retires from married life, planning to find a concubine for her husband and become a chief manager of the house of Wu."… (more)

36 wanted2 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,824,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible