Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

Lucky Jim (1953)

by Kingsley Amis

Title:Lucky Jim
Authors:Kingsley Amis

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis (1953)

Wonder Boys: A Novel by Michael Chabon (browner56)
    browner56: Both books are often hilarious and great examples of the Campus Novel.
    Changing Places by David Lodge (BeckyJG)
    Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers (kraaivrouw)
    Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe (aynar)
    Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: These are two of the only books that make me laugh out loud. Also, both are entertaining (and very English) accounts of young men coming of age with more than a little truth to them.
    Eating People Is Wrong by Malcolm Bradbury (aynar)
    Billy Liar by Keith Waterhouse (chrisharpe)
    Memoirs by Kingsley Amis (John_Vaughan)
    The Nine Planets by Edward Riche (ShelfMonkey)
    Brighton Rock by Graham Greene (John_Vaughan)
    Making History by Stephen Fry (WilliamQuill)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (chrisharpe)
    The Sophomore by Spacks B (Anonymous user)

English (91)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (94)
I had just thrown out a later edition of this book which, I thought, had become a bit dated. The bright and funny front cover of this Four Square Books paperback edition attracted me - so Lucky Jim is back again and as the Manchester Guardian said, it is 'a brilliantly and preposterously funny book' - albeit a bit stuck in the 1950s. ( )
  jon1lambert | Sep 27, 2015 |
ייתכן שזו הפעם השנייה שאני קורא את הספר, אבל אם כן​ לא זכרתי דבר מן הקריאה הראשונה. איכשלא יהיה ממש ל​א אהבתי אותו. אינני יודע אם הזמן גרם לו להתייבש כל​ כך או שמלכתחילה הוא הפך ללהיט מכל הסיבות הלא נכונ​ות אבל היום הוא נראה לי מייגע, לא מצחיק ואפילו לא ​ ( )
  amoskovacs | Aug 26, 2015 |
This is going to be a tough review for me because what apparently makes the book notable – its portrayal of rapidly-evolving British social conventions regarding class and academia in the 1950s – requires background knowledge that I, as an n-th generation American female, definitely don’t possess. Anthony Burgess has said that the main character, Dixon, a provincial lad who finds himself teaching at a stuffy, bourgeois university, “makes little dents in the smug fabric of hypocritical, humbugging, class-bound British society,” and “Amis [has]caught the mood of post-war restiveness in a book which, though socially significant [is] still extremely funny.” I’m going to have to take his word for it, because my impressions of the tale were somewhat otherwise.

First, there’s the fact that what constitutes “funny” in this book doesn't align well with what most folks would find funny now. Dixon’s sense of humor is infantile: when displeased, he makes childish faces at people behind their backs or plagues them with stupid/cruel practical jokes (defacing photos with mustaches; placing prank calls). I’ve seen enough Monte Python to accept that it's possible that British readers would find this content funny, but Dixon’s boorish antics mostly left me unsympathetic and annoyed.

Then there’s Amis’s portrayal of “hypocritical, humbugging, classbound British society,” which I didn’t quite see either. Yes, Amis’s bete noir, a college professor named Welch, is old and doddering, a little too fond of recorder music and madrigals and the ideal of “merrie England” – a construct that exists more in imagination rather than fact (as the final scene of this novel successfully mocks), but at least he cares about his college and has manners. Dixon, on the other hand, cares little about scholarship (“Good God, you don’t think I care about any of this stuff?” he confesses at one point) and less about his students (the only criteria for his summer session topic is whether it will appeal to most attractive women at the university). I had a hard time not siding with Welch in this dispute. There is another subplot pitting Dixon against Welch’s son Bertrand, a pretentious snob who is genuinely easy to hate. The problem is that he’s a little TOO easy to hate, and so comes off more as a villain than as an honest representation of British bourgeois society, thus lessoning the impact of Amis’s satire in this direction.

Overall, I found the subplot involving Dixon’s love life to be more thought-provoking; though, again, I think it may be necessary to possess a British sensibility to understand it fully. By modern standards, it’s hard to understand why Dixon remains loyal to neurotic, needy fellow-academic Margaret rather than pursuing the woman of his dreams, Christine. (I’m going to omit mentioning my distaste, as a female, for the condescending way that basically all the female characters in this book are depicted, as I’m attributing this to the general backwardness of the era rather than a particular flaw of the author’s.) But the relationship makes more sense in the context of British morality, especially British morality during the war years, when “duty” was drilled into young men along with their letters. Though the introduction to the volume I read, penned by David Lodge, attributes Dixon’s loyalty to pity, I would argue that it’s Dixon’s sense of duty/obligation that prevents him from straying. (To paraphrase an exchange from a recent television show: “What was the name of that Gilbert & Sulliven operetta about duty?” Answer: “They’re all about duty.”)

Jim does finally does hit a lucky streak in the final pages of the book, winning (SPOILER) both the job and the girl of his dreams. After 100s of pages of enduring his whining, peevish, petty, drunken antics, can't say I was convinced he deserved to live happily ever after. But there’s no denying that “nasty things are nastier than nice things,” as Dixon notes. And there’s no denying that Kingsley Amis’s narrative style is distinctive and a fascinating time capsule through which to view mid-century British sensibilities. ( )
  Dorritt | May 13, 2015 |
Jim Dixon is a junior history lecturer in a provincial English university coming towards the end of his first year under the evasive Professor Welch. However, Jim has not really made a good impression during his time there and is worried as to whether he will be retained for the up coming academic year. He has also befriended the neurotic Margaret, one of his colleagues, who attempted suicide after a previous relationship failed. One evening whilst at the family home of the Professor Welch Jim is introduced to their artist son Bertrand and his girlfriend Christine. Suddenly Jim's seemingly ordered life begins to unravel with at time comic results.

Luck and entitlement are major themes throughout the book. Jim is initially very passive accepting what others are doing to him never really questioning why and the novel charts both the bad and good luck he endures. Jim's bad luck provides some of the humour of the novel but once he learns to trust good luck, things turn around for him, and he begins to have a say in his fate.

In contrast Bertrand Welch,sees discrepancies in class not in terms of luck, but rather merely as the way things should be.So when Jim considers himself lucky when Christine agrees to come home with him, Bertrand considers Christine to be his "right." Jim's passive surrender to "bad luck" can be a touch pathetic but it is also indicates his concern for others, while Bertrand's sense of entitlement reveals his self-centredness.

Hypocrisy and pretension are satirised throughout. The Welches are mocked for their social pretensions, Margaret for her melodramatic romantic and Bertrand for his pompous nature as he tries to bully all those around him. No one explains to Jim what it is that they really want from him, he is seen as something of a soft touch and they usually have ulterior motives. However,Jim himself is initially hypocritical keeping his real emotions from those around him,in particular faking feelings for Margaret that he does not actually possess. It is not until the end of the novel that Jim is able to be straightforward himself and therefore those around him.

Personally I found this a well crafted novel with well drawn out characters and whilst it did not actually make me laugh out loud it did on numerous occasions to smile which can be no bad thing. As such I will certainly be on the look out by other works by the author. ( )
  PilgrimJess | Mar 18, 2015 |
I didn't like the book at first but it grew on me. The protagonist seemed too shallow and unlikable at first, but then I came to the realization that it was the other characters and the quaint social mores that were shallow and unlikable. Jim was a true post-war personality stuck among pre-war ideologues. It was actually a nice counter-point. I'm not sure if I'll read it again, but I'm glad I read it. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
"Lucky Jim, Kingsley Amis's comic masterpiece, may be the funniest book of the past half century "

Kingsley Amisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
David LodgeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Oh, lucky Jim, how I envy him. Oh, lucky Jim, how I envy him." - Old Song
To Philip Larkin
"They made a silly mistake, though," the Professor of History said, and his smile, as Dixon watched, gradually sank beneath the surface of his features at the memory.
Christine was still prettier and nicer than Margaret, and all the deductions that could be drawn from that fact should be drawn: there was no end to the ways in which nice things are nicer than nasty ones.
"I am sorry to hear of your difficulties, Mr Dickinson, but I'm afraid things are too difficult here for me to be very seriously concerned about your difficulties..."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140186301, Paperback)

Although Kingsley Amis's acid satire of postwar British academic life has lost some of its bite in the four decades since it was published, it's still a rewarding read. And there's no denying how big an impact it had back then--Lucky Jim could be considered the first shot in the Oxbridge salvo that brought us Beyond the Fringe, That Was the Week That Was, and so much more.

In Lucky Jim, Amis introduces us to Jim Dixon, a junior lecturer at a British college who spends his days fending off the legions of malevolent twits that populate the school. His job is in constant danger, often for good reason. Lucky Jim hits the heights whenever Dixon tries to keep a preposterous situation from spinning out of control, which is every three pages or so. The final example of this--a lecture spewed by a hideously pickled Dixon--is a chapter's worth of comic nirvana. The book is not politically correct (Amis wasn't either), but take it for what it is, and you won't be disappointed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:23 -0400)

Jim has fallen into a job at one of the new red brick universities. A moderately successful future beckons as long as Jim can survive a madrigal-singing weekend, deliver a lecture on "merrie England" and resist Christine, the girlfriend of Professor Welch's son, Bertrand..… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182598, 0141399414, 0241956846

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590175751, 1590175913

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,774,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible