Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

Member:shaunie
Title:Lucky Jim
Authors:Kingsley Amis
Info:

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis (1954)

1001 (40) 1001 books (34) 1950s (38) 20th century (112) academia (118) amis (16) British (115) British fiction (28) British literature (65) campus novel (28) classic (27) classics (28) comedy (38) England (62) English (51) English literature (49) fiction (672) Folio Society (16) humor (223) literature (77) novel (163) own (23) Penguin Classics (13) read (54) Roman (12) satire (81) to-read (75) UK (17) university (32) unread (25)
    Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon (browner56)
    browner56: Both books are often hilarious and great examples of the Campus Novel.
    Changing Places by David Lodge (BeckyJG)
    Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers (kraaivrouw)
    Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe (aynar)
    Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: These are two of the only books that make me laugh out loud. Also, both are entertaining (and very English) accounts of young men coming of age with more than a little truth to them.
    Eating People Is Wrong by Malcolm Bradbury (aynar)
    Billy Liar by Keith Waterhouse (chrisharpe)
    Memoirs by Kingsley Amis (John_Vaughan)
    The Nine Planets by Edward Riche (ShelfMonkey)
    Brighton Rock by Graham Greene (John_Vaughan)
    Making History by Stephen Fry (WilliamQuill)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (chrisharpe)
    The Sophomore by Spacks B (Anonymous user)

English (84)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (87)
More amusing than outright funny... If you like Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall, you will like this! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 5, 2014 |
My husband recommended this book to me because he thought I would appreciate the academic satire. The book was very funny and the satire, I believe, is still relevant in the 21st Century. What I did not like about the book was that the style of the prose was very convoluted and ponderous. Overall, it was a quick and entertaining read. ( )
  magistrab | Apr 17, 2014 |
Waugh with a little dash of Wodehouse. Very clever. Jim Dixon has many interesting traits: laziness, drunkenness, lust, dishonesty . 'You gotta love this wonderfully funny beta-male. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Feb 8, 2014 |
This book was weird for me, because although I knew it was about (making fun of) social classes in some way, I couldn't work out which class or classes it was about. I don't mean "is this mocking the bourgeoisie," since it obviously is, but more specifically, who are teh Welches meant to be? Of which class is Jim a member? Puzzling.

All of which makes this sound like the most boring book on the planet, but it is in fact absolutely hilarious, and the nice thing is that, really, it's making fun of everyone except Kingsley Amis and the reader. Good company, that. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
This is a very funny novel in the same vain as PG Wodehouse. It is set in a university town were our hero Jim Dixon is a lecturer in the department of history. As so often happen Jim is harassed by his head of the department about a article he is supposed to publish, a neurotic collegue who is recovering from lost love and an attempted suicide. While on a stay over at his head of the deparment's house Jim is attracted towards his bosses' son's girlfriend. All he'll breaks lose but being lucky Jim comes out with flying colours and the girl on his arm. ( )
1 vote mausergem | Nov 25, 2013 |
"Oh, lucky Jim, how I envy him. Oh, lucky Jim, how I envy him." - Old Song
To Philip Larkin
"They made a silly mistake, though," the Professor of History said, and his smile, as Dixon watched, gradually sank beneath the surface of his features at the memory.
Christine was still prettier and nicer than Margaret, and all the deductions that could be drawn from that fact should be drawn: there was no end to the ways in which nice things are nicer than nasty ones.
"I am sorry to hear of your difficulties, Mr Dickinson, but I'm afraid things are too difficult here for me to be very seriously concerned about your difficulties..."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140186301, Paperback)

Although Kingsley Amis's acid satire of postwar British academic life has lost some of its bite in the four decades since it was published, it's still a rewarding read. And there's no denying how big an impact it had back then--Lucky Jim could be considered the first shot in the Oxbridge salvo that brought us Beyond the Fringe, That Was the Week That Was, and so much more.

In Lucky Jim, Amis introduces us to Jim Dixon, a junior lecturer at a British college who spends his days fending off the legions of malevolent twits that populate the school. His job is in constant danger, often for good reason. Lucky Jim hits the heights whenever Dixon tries to keep a preposterous situation from spinning out of control, which is every three pages or so. The final example of this--a lecture spewed by a hideously pickled Dixon--is a chapter's worth of comic nirvana. The book is not politically correct (Amis wasn't either), but take it for what it is, and you won't be disappointed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:41 -0400)

Jim has fallen into a job at one of the new red brick universities. A moderately successful future beckons as long as Jim can survive a madrigal-singing weekend, deliver a lecture on "merrie England" and resist Christine, the girlfriend of Professor Welch's son, Bertrand..… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182598, 0141399414, 0241956846

NYRB Classics

Two editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590175751, 1590175913

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,254,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible