Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

Member:shaunie
Title:Lucky Jim
Authors:Kingsley Amis
Info:

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis (1953)

Recently added byprivate library, Loyola, NeilJTaylor, dkrathbun, mtzionlibrary, mpalinski, wjmcomposer, TheBookStop
Legacy LibrariesFlannery O'Connor
    Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon (browner56)
    browner56: Both books are often hilarious and great examples of the Campus Novel.
    Changing Places by David Lodge (BeckyJG)
    Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers (kraaivrouw)
    Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe (aynar)
    Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: These are two of the only books that make me laugh out loud. Also, both are entertaining (and very English) accounts of young men coming of age with more than a little truth to them.
    Eating People Is Wrong by Malcolm Bradbury (aynar)
    Billy Liar by Keith Waterhouse (chrisharpe)
    Memoirs by Kingsley Amis (John_Vaughan)
    The Nine Planets by Edward Riche (ShelfMonkey)
    Brighton Rock by Graham Greene (John_Vaughan)
    Making History by Stephen Fry (WilliamQuill)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (chrisharpe)
    The Sophomore by Spacks B (Anonymous user)

English (87)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (90)
I didn't like the book at first but it grew on me. The protagonist seemed too shallow and unlikable at first, but then I came to the realization that it was the other characters and the quaint social mores that were shallow and unlikable. Jim was a true post-war personality stuck among pre-war ideologues. It was actually a nice counter-point. I'm not sure if I'll read it again, but I'm glad I read it. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
Why did this book end up on my reading list? Was it a recipient or runner-up for a major award? Recommended from a trustworthy friend? I have no idea! But once it ended up on my book shelves, it was inevitable I would eventually read it. What a disappointment! But, lucky for me, "Lucky Jim" was a quick read.

"Lucky Jim" is a British farce. Could it get any worse than that? I guess there are some readers who would enjoy this book, but I have no idea who. If it were purely a script for a 1940’s movie, I’m sure it would have fared well. A state-of-the-art black and white cinema screen depicting a fat stodgy absent minded professor with his big bosomed, shrill voiced, elitist wife. And the professor’s inept, oafish assistant - that would be Jim - with a few manipulative, whining, stereotype female characters for filler.

Kingsley Amis’ descriptives of Jim were strange and for the most part irrelevant. What must have been meant to appear funny was actually annoying and down right disgusting... Jim’s temper tantrums, his childish destructive pranks, and his inane antics... actions generally associated with an adolescent bratty punk rather than a twenty-something college teacher. Throughout the story Kingsley refers to Jim’s facial expressions as though all his reactions were as insincere as coming from a cartoon character... or maybe Kingsley just lacked the verbal skills to express Jim’s emotions. He writes descriptives like - Jim put on “his tragic face”, “his Chinese mandarin face”, “his lemon-sucking face”, and “his Evelyn Waugh face”... whatever that implies.

And speaking of Evelyn Waugh, there is a quote on the front cover of the Viking paperback edition that "Lucky Jim" was as funny as Evelyn Waugh “at his best”. This is absolutely - without any doubt - just not true. For one thing, even when Evelyn Waugh was being funny, there was usually a deep dramatic story involved. And second, Evelyn Waugh was naturally witty, presenting humorous scenes and comical dialogues that are natural and seemingly authentic. Even in writing satire, Evelyn Waugh’s characters always appear to be real people. Kingsley Amis’ wit is grossly exaggerated staged humor… slapstick and totally ludicrous. There is really no comparison so I suggest you don’t waste your time on this one. ( )
  LadyLo | Sep 6, 2014 |
Funny, but ultimately not too memorable. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
More amusing than outright funny... If you like Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall, you will like this! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 5, 2014 |
My husband recommended this book to me because he thought I would appreciate the academic satire. The book was very funny and the satire, I believe, is still relevant in the 21st Century. What I did not like about the book was that the style of the prose was very convoluted and ponderous. Overall, it was a quick and entertaining read. ( )
  magistrab | Apr 17, 2014 |
"Lucky Jim, Kingsley Amis's comic masterpiece, may be the funniest book of the past half century "

"Oh, lucky Jim, how I envy him. Oh, lucky Jim, how I envy him." - Old Song
To Philip Larkin
"They made a silly mistake, though," the Professor of History said, and his smile, as Dixon watched, gradually sank beneath the surface of his features at the memory.
Christine was still prettier and nicer than Margaret, and all the deductions that could be drawn from that fact should be drawn: there was no end to the ways in which nice things are nicer than nasty ones.
"I am sorry to hear of your difficulties, Mr Dickinson, but I'm afraid things are too difficult here for me to be very seriously concerned about your difficulties..."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140186301, Paperback)

Although Kingsley Amis's acid satire of postwar British academic life has lost some of its bite in the four decades since it was published, it's still a rewarding read. And there's no denying how big an impact it had back then--Lucky Jim could be considered the first shot in the Oxbridge salvo that brought us Beyond the Fringe, That Was the Week That Was, and so much more.

In Lucky Jim, Amis introduces us to Jim Dixon, a junior lecturer at a British college who spends his days fending off the legions of malevolent twits that populate the school. His job is in constant danger, often for good reason. Lucky Jim hits the heights whenever Dixon tries to keep a preposterous situation from spinning out of control, which is every three pages or so. The final example of this--a lecture spewed by a hideously pickled Dixon--is a chapter's worth of comic nirvana. The book is not politically correct (Amis wasn't either), but take it for what it is, and you won't be disappointed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:41 -0400)

Jim has fallen into a job at one of the new red brick universities. A moderately successful future beckons as long as Jim can survive a madrigal-singing weekend, deliver a lecture on "merrie England" and resist Christine, the girlfriend of Professor Welch's son, Bertrand..… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182598, 0141399414, 0241956846

NYRB Classics

Two editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590175751, 1590175913

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,001,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible