The Singing Stones by Phyllis A. Whitney

The Singing Stones (1990)

by Phyllis A. Whitney

My mother gave this to me because it takes place in Charlottesville, Virginia, where I used to live. I imagine she picked it up at a garage sale somewhere in Illinois.This was a very quick read. The characters are more or less believable, but I was terribly unimpressed with Stephen and therefore Lynn as well. I also thought the ending was kind of forced. I like to be surprised at the identity of the killer in a "wow, I never would have suspected him/her but it all makes sense now" kind of way instead of a "hey look, the author took the least likely person and made them act out of character in order to explain their motive" kind of way. Julian was pretty cool, at any rate.All the same, it kept my interest to the very end and brought back pleasant memories of the Charlottesville area. Strangely enough, the book set C'ville in Nelson County. Perhaps in the 14 years since it was written things have changed - today C'ville is in Albemarle County. ( )
  melydia | Oct 28, 2009 |
Child psychologist Lynn McLeod goes to the Blue Ridge Mountains to help 10-year-old Jilly, the daughter of her ex-husband Stephen. Soon the danger that involves them also engulfs her and the hypnotic sound of the singing stones lures her into a realm of mystery, murder and passion.
  nolak | Jun 26, 2009 |
Light mystery. At 19, Lynn McLeod married Stephen Asche in Virginia. She was very much in love, and they had just started building their dream house. One night, they went to a show, and Stephen fell for the lead dancer. Lynn left town with a broken heart, and they divorced. Fast-forward 12 years, and Stephen's stepmother writes Lynn a letter asking Lynn to come to Virginia to help Stephen's daughter, Jilly, who is emotionally damaged. She witnessed a horrific "accident" where Stephen was severely injured and cannot walk and another man was killed. Turns out it was murder and Lynn ends up in the middle of everything. The killer is somewhat of a surprise but not much else. ( )
  CatieN | Jan 4, 2009 |
Prologue: The month was October and ground breaking was to begin next week - well before winter set in.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345480341, Mass Market Paperback)

Despite her misgivings, child psychologist Lynn McLeod returns to Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains to help ten-year-old Jilly, her ex-husband Stephen's child. But what she finds at the secluded household are more questions. And the danger that threatens both Stephen and Jilly soon closes tightly around Lynn. And all the while, the soft, hypnotic sound in the wind--the eerie yet beautiful music of the Singing Stones--lures Lynn into a realm of mystery, murder, and dormant passion. And, perhaps, to the key to her own destiny....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:37 -0400)

Child psychologist Lynn McLeod returns to Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains to help her ex-husband Stephen's ten-year-old daughter Jilly and finds herself caught up in a dangerous mystery.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,507,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible