Spiral by Koji Suzuki

Spiral (1996)

by Koji Suzuki

Series: Ring (2)

466None22,861 (3.63)15
    Dark Water by Koji Suzuki (Anonymous user)

English (12)  Danish (1)  All languages (13)
After reading and enjoying the first book (Ring) in this series, I wanted to continue reading the second book too. The first book wasn't a wow, but I still had some hopes for this second part.
And again, for me it wasn't a GREAT book. I'm still looking for the mixture of Haruki Murakami and Stephen King, since I like both writers a lot. Okay, there are some supernatural / surrealistic / horror things to this book, but nothing that made my hair stand up straight (like some books of King do) or have my head shake in disbelief / amazament about what Murakami made up and wrote down (like it was every day business).

The fact that this book was written as an independant entity, but still more or less a sequel, made it neccessary to add somewhere in the book more information about what had happened in Ring. I didn't like that. To me that felt like, excuse me, but I'm still writing it down, cheap filling of pages. Like in the books of Jean M. Auel, where in later works many pages are filled with things that have happened in earlier times. I think one should either make it a real trilogy (then the writer wouldn't have to repeat himself) or make it a seperate book. The way it turned out here, I think I would have chosen the latter.

Nevertheless, despite all the comment above, I kept reading and liking the new parts that I read. A person gets a puzzle that he wants to solve at all costs. Not realizing it at first, but slowly but steadily sinking deaper into the whole story. Putting aside all initial disbelief and thoughts of impossibilities, again a pair of 'investigators' get on thenext part of the trail that was started when 4 teenagers watched a videotape. This new turn in the story is well constructed and well told.

Since the last part is also here, I will continue reading that one now. I do hope that that one is not repeating a lot from book 1 and 2... ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 4, 2013 |
*note to self. Copy from A.
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
This sequel to The Ring picks up with the coroner who autopsies the final fatality from The Ring. Suffering from his own tragedy and marital failure the coroner is quickly drawn into the fast morphing world of viruses, supernatural beings, and ends with a resurrection after death that is ghoulishly heartwarming. Fun book, even more so than The Ring
  grheault | Aug 19, 2012 |
I enjoyed this. Not as much as Ring, I think, but enough to continue on with the series. As I've said in previous reviews, I love science so that all had me very interested. ( )
  adrateia | Feb 26, 2012 |
If you're here I guess that you have already read "Ring" and enjoyed it. Probably even saw the movie and enjoyed it too. Well, boy are you going to be surprised. Suzuki takes the franchise in an entirely different direction starting here (and concluding in "Loop"), taking the focus from Thriller/Horror to Medical/Mystery. And although I enjoyed this book I did find it to be the weakest of the trilogy, which wraps up brilliantly in "Loop".

Final Verdict: Worth a read for sure, but more of a chore just to get to the final book in the series. ( )
  NSZ | Apr 16, 2010 |
Mitsuo Ando awoke from a dream in which he was sinking into the sea.
The novel Spiral (the 2nd book of the Ringu series) is not the same as the manga Spiral (The Ring, Volume 3)

Synopsis for the English edition:
"Ever since his young son drowned to death, Ando has suffered recurrent nightmares. His wife has come unhinged after their devastating loss, which doesn't help. Work is his only salvation these days - and it's performing autopsies. But Ando's depressing world of routine and regrets is about to change when Ryuji Takayama, an old rival, appears before him as a corpse to be dissected.

Through Ryuji's bizarre demise, Ando learns of a series of mysterious deaths that seem to have been caused by an unknown - or rather, forgotten - virus. Behind it all lurks a suspicious videotape to which Ryuji seems to be leading Ando from beyond the grave. A choice more sinister than the one in Ring faces the doctor at the end of a breathless chase through places and minds.

Spiral is not only a sequel to Ring but also a commentary on it that breaks down the story and recasts it entirely. Spiral is written as a stand-alone work."

Pathologist Ando is at a low point in his life. His small son's death from drowning has resulted in the break-up of his marriage and he is suffering traumatic nightmares. Work is his only escape, and his world is shaken up by a series of mysterious deaths that seem to be caused by a deadly virus.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible